New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Stick with 8 for now. Only go up if you find really compelling candidates.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Works for me! (On the number of spells.)

Druid Seventh Level Spells
First, let's just dismiss the following two:
6 - Regeneration - This is just the sixth level Cleric spell from the Core Rulebook.
7 - Ring of Greater Healing - This is the same as the existing Cleric New Spells spell.

Now for the new spells ...
1 - Changestaff - This allows the druid to specially craft a staff that can then turn into an unintelligent Treant. This is a far older spell than I realized, and it is kinda cool.
2 - Conjure Elemental - Traditionally, the Druid could summon a Fire Elemental and summon an Earth Elemental. In 3.5 they were just tossed together to summon any Elemental. Since spell slots are scarce, I just combined them into the 3.5 version. If desired, the druid could be specifically limited to just Fire and Earth, but I think it should just be any of the four. Assuming all four are allowed, this is just the fifth level Magic-User spell from the Core Rules.
3 - Control Weather - This is the same as the new Cleric spell above. It is very on-theme for both classes.
4 - Creeping Doom - This is truly an ancient spell in the game. From what I can see it has been in basically ever version of the game ever. Plus it is awesome! It conjures a carpet of biting insects that each cause 1 point of damage and then die. And you get like 10d10 of them!
5 - Earthquake - This is the same as the new Cleric spell above.
8 - Transmute Metal to Wood - This about as ancient as Creeping Doom. It turns some volume of metal into wood. A situation but very thematic high-level debuff.

One note:
In Libram Magica Druids were also given Restoration. I did not include it here as that seems to be missing from most versions. As such, I was going to leave the Druids ability to use Restoration in Libram Magica, not in New Spells. This keeps it as a pure Clerical spell for the most part.
daryen

Post by daryen »

One more question: Is it
- Invisibility, Mass
- Mass Invisibility

I have seen both forms used in various documents. At this point, I have pretty much settled on the second, as that's what I saw most often. But, I want to be consistent. Is the second approach acceptable?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't like commas in my spell names.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm I don't like commas in my spell names.
Perfect! Then I was doing it correctly with even knowing it.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm I don't like commas in my spell names.
Face it Solo, you don't like punctuation. If you had your way, the Core Rules would be one big run on sentence. :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Pfft. Anyone who's ever seen me use ellipses would never say I don't like punctuation...
daryen

Post by daryen »

Need to get through the other seventh level spells. Next up: Necromancer ...
I can ignore the following spells as they were originally in the Necromancer Supplement, so I can assume they were just dandy to start with:
1 - Call Horseman
3 - Longevity (Actually, this probably isn't the most appropriate, but, eh, it was already here)
4 - Mass Invisibility
5 - Phase Door
6 - Power Word Stun
8 - Wychlamp Aura

They had six spells, so I am only adding two extra ones:
2 - Finger of Death - point-n-die. This spell is different from Death Spell because Death Spell has a number of hit dice it affects. Finger-o-Death only affects one target, but it doesn't matter how many hit dice it has. If the subject saves, it still takes 3d6+1/level of damage. (Interestingly, this was originally a Druid spell.)
7 - Symbol of Death - The cast creates a symbol and when triggered, everyone in range saves or dies. There is a hit point cap on how many creatures can be killed. This is the top-end progression of the two other symbol spells I am trying to add at lower levels to fill out the Necromancer's spells: Symbol of Pain and Symbol of Fear.
daryen

Post by daryen »

One more since it has been longer than I intended: Spellcrafter

The Spellcrafter Supplement had no seventh level spells included, so here are what I intend to include:
1 - Dominate Construct - This is meant to be a step-up from the Charm Construct into full-on completely control of the target construct. Even if self-directed, this construct will unquestionably obey the Spellcrafter to the point of self-destruction. If it had other programming, that is wiped away by this spell. This is a long-term domination.
2 - Longevity - Already in New Spells. Seems appropriate for a Spellcrafter.
3 - Mage's Disjunction - If a Spellcrafter is really the master of magic items, then they should be able to utterly remove their magic, too. This will be less powerful than the 3.5 SRD version of the spell, as that is a ninth level spell. So, it only does one magic item of any power short of an artifact. It won't disenchant an artifact. It can break an anti-magic shell, though.
4 - Major Creation - The Spellcrafter has Minor Creation, so it only seems reasonable that they should get a Major Creation, too. This allows for a bigger volume and more complex objects to be created. The Spellcrafter has to know how to make the item, if it is complex, however.
5 - Phase Door - Already in New Spells.
6 - Sword - Already in New Spells.
7 - Word of Recall - Core Rules cleric spell. Would think a Spellcrafter would have a way to always be able to escape to their workshop.
8 - Wychlamp Aura - Already in New Spells.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Finally, the Illusionist. Note that all of these spells are brand new. There are enough powerful Illusionist spells to not need to reuse other spells. All of these are pretty nice.
1 - Demand - A much more powerful form of Suggestion. It may end up being similar to Quest.
2 - Insanity - Works as Confusion, but it is permanent. It can only be removed by Dispel Magic or similar/more powerful magic.
3 - Prismatic Spray - Multiple colored rays of unpleasantness does damage and worse. Wall (and Sphere) are more powerful, so I only included Spray. Note that the "sent to another plane" result will be "teleported somewhere at least 100 miles away" or "teleported to another continent".
4 - Scintillating Pattern - Multiple colored pattern that messes with viewers' heads. Results are dependent on hit dice, but even powerful enemies will be affected for a handful of rounds.
5 - Screen - Complete protection from scrying, magic mirror, and crystal balls.
6 - Shades - Summon semi-real shadow monsters that are 60% there. Can summon what appear to be wispy versions of a powerful monster that has 60% of their real substance and does 60% of their damage.
7 - Vision - Works like a super-dream. The vision will be received by the target irrespective of whether they are asleep or not, and caster has control over what is seen. Can be *very* impressive if done correctly.
8 - Weird - Mass phantasmal killer. Affects everyone within 30 feet of each other just as phantasmal killer. (Doesn't do strength damage, though.)

An Illusionist with seventh level spells is someone to be feared.