Feedback for small addition to Fighters

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BobAlcove

Feedback for small addition to Fighters

Post by BobAlcove »

Hello,

I'm planning to run a few adventurers with Basic Fantasy and currently looking through the Supplements.

I'm definitely using the Combat Supplement, but want to add something in addition for Fighters.

The idea is to make the AB-Bonus also count for damage when you are a Fighter. Do you think this would be too extreme? I'm mostly playing at lower levels (10th Level max).
Dimirag

Re: Feedback for small addition to Fighters

Post by Dimirag »

There is a game with a name that sounds like "axe", it gives fighters a +1 damage bonus for every 3 levels, I wouldn't go higher than that.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
BobAlcove

Post by BobAlcove »

That sounds a bit underwhelming to me. It would just be three additional damage at level nine.

I'm just worried about the lack of growth for fighters which isn't linked to showering them with magic items.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm just worried about the lack of growth for fighters which isn't linked to showering them with magic items.
A Fighter's growth is based on his ability to withstand damage and to strike more often but there are some options lying around on the forum.

If using the combat options the Fighter reaches a +3 damage bonus at 16th level and only when dedicating to one specific weapon.

My personal rule is to make fighters roll a die better for damage until level 5, there they roll normally but with a +2 bonus, once level 9 is reached they roll one die higher with the +2 bonus.

Other options gives them better critical chances, combat style, and so on.
Last edited by Dimirag on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I would say the Fighter gets the best attack bonus progression with leveling... and because of that HITS way more often and thus causes a lot more damage than other character classes (but not because of a "damage bonus"). Fighters just deal plenty of damage in my mind, especially as the level increases.

So, I would not be inclined to support additional damage bonuses as is described above.

I would be more inclined to more 'outside of the box' thoughts on extras, such as special maneuvers or combat techniques... such as increased ability to disarm, stun, feints, parry, etc.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

You can make it so Fighters, and only Fighters, get Weapon Specialization, Shield Specialization, and Armor Specialization as per the Combat Options supplement. I think this gives the Fighter a very nice boost, even when compared to Paladins and Rangers, if you are using such optional classes in your game.

Also, early D&D was designed so Fighters would benefit from finding magic swords. Clerics can't use edged weapons. Magic Users can't use swords. Both of these rules serve a balancing purpose. Fighters are pretty much meant to find and use magic swords throughout their career to boost their power.
BobAlcove

Post by BobAlcove »

SmootRK wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm I would say the Fighter gets the best attack bonus progression with leveling... and because of that HITS way more often and thus causes a lot more damage than other character classes (but not because of a "damage bonus"). Fighters just deal plenty of damage in my mind, especially as the level increases.
I never thought of that, but it makes sense to me.
Ironwolf wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm by Ironwolf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:09 pm
You can make it so Fighters, and only Fighters, get Weapon Specialization, Shield Specialization, and Armor Specialization as per the Combat Options supplement. I think this gives the Fighter a very nice boost, even when compared to Paladins and Rangers, if you are using such optional classes in your game.
I completely overlooked the possibilty to make the Specialization exclusive to the Fighter.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Form the combat supplement thread:
existence123: "Do you guys give weapon specializations to fighters only, or to all optional classes in the fighter category (paladins, rangers, etc.)?"
Hywaywolf: "Its pretty straight forward in the supplement. weapons specialization specifically states that it is for fighters. Two-weapon combat, defensive fighting, and crits and fumbles are for everyone, including monsters and NPCs. Now just like everything else, a DM can pick and choose what they want to use, or alter it in any way they wish.
Solomoriah: "But my intention is that specialization is for fighters, and only fighters. It's meant in part to make them different from their subclasses. Otherwise, why play a fighter?"
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

BobAlcove wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm I completely overlooked the possibilty to make the Specialization exclusive to the Fighter.
Check out The Glain Companion free download on the Showcase page:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi

It is a document of Chris Gonnerman's house rules, and having Specialization available only to the Fighter class is one such house rule.
Hackworthy

Post by Hackworthy »

Combat Options is the best way to go I think. Makes Fighters more interesting without adding too much bloat or upsetting balance. I have found that players derive a lot of roleplaying satisfaction from specializations.