Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll review it. Not sure how that slipped by me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I've used the supplement and seen the entangle spell used. To make it effective it should be dropped in front of the enemies, so they would have to move through at least two squares. Even an orc would be reduced to 5' or 10' (round up or down on 1/4). Then the fighters(s)move right up against it. The enemy can't engage and the players are free to chop them up into itty bitty pieces. You could add something to the effect that if a creature is in the area of effect when its dropped (or starts its turn in it) it has to make a save or not be able to move at all..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Seven

Post by Seven »

I've always seen Entangle as an outdoors version of Web.
It's a big part of the Druids arsenal, which are supposed to be more powerful when in forest. It's not that effective against large creatures anyway.
Heat Metal and Warp Wood are just as good indoors.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Not a bad idea to add some cool stuff if they are in outdoor setting...
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Druids: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 7 -- June 25, 2020
Both James Lemon and Al Vetter made editing passes over this venerable supplement, making many textual changes; review the comments thread for details.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

This new release doesn't address the Entangle question, by the way... I'll still be looking at that sometime.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are the latest corrections for the Druid Supplement:

Page 1 – Druid – Paragraph 2
Was:
Druids advance advance as the same rate as Clerics, and they use the same combat and saving throw tables.
Changed to:
Druids advance at the same rate as Clerics, and they use the same combat and saving throw tables.

Page 3 – Call Lightening – paragraph 1
Was:
Immediately upon completion of the spell, and at most once per round thereafter, the caster may call down a 5’ wide, 30’ long vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage.
Changed to:
Immediately upon completion of the spell, and at most once per round thereafter, the caster may call down a 5 ft wide, 30 ft long vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage.

Page 3 – Call Woodland Beings – Paragraph 1
Was:
They attack the caster opponents to the best of their ability.
Changed to:
They attack the caster’s opponents to the best of their ability.

Page 3 – Commune with Nature – Paragraph 1
Was:
… – the radius is limited to 100’ per caster level.
Changed to:
… – the radius is limited to 100 ft per caster level.

Page 3 – Control Temprature, 10’ Radius
Was:
(10’ radius sphere)
Changed to:
(10 ft radius sphere)

Page 4 – Control Winds – Paragraph 1
Was:
(40’ per caster level radius cylinder 40’ high)
Changed to:
(40 ft per caster level radius cylinder 40 ft high)

Page 4 – Control Winds – Paragraph 1
Was:
… “eye” of calm air up to 40’ radius …
Changed to:
… “eye” of calm air up to 40 ft radius …

Page 4 – Detect Snares and Traps – Last paragraph
Was:
The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1’ of stone, 1” of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3’ of wood or dirt blocks it.
Changed to:
The spell can penetrate barriers, to 1 ft of stone, or 1 inch of common metal, or a thin sheet of lead, or 3 ft of wood or dirt blocks.

Page 4 – Entangle – Paragraph 1
I’m going to put in TrickyNikki and Merias’s suggestions to try and fix the Entangle spell. I’m also adding my own flare to it, the tripping if creature is running line.
Was:
This spell causes grasses, trees, bushes, shrubs, or other plants to entwine around creatures in a 10'x10' area. Most creatures within the area move at ¼ normal speed; very large and/or very strong creatures (at least as big or strong as a giant or dragon) move at ½ normal speed. Entangled creatures may not attack nor take most actions other than movement due to the interference of the enchanted plants.
Changed to:
This spell causes existing grasses, trees, bushes, shrubs, or other plants to entwine around creatures in a 40 ft x 40 ft area. At the GM discretion a druid underground may use roots of plants if, they are mentioned in the description of the area. Most creatures within the area of effect move at ¼ normal speed; very large and/or very strong creatures (at least as big or strong as a giant or dragon) move at ½ normal speed. If the creature affected is running at the time the spell is triggered, the creature needs to make a saving throw vs Spell with DEX bonus or trip and become prone until end of spell. Entangled creatures may not attack nor take most actions other than movement due to the interference of the enchanted plants. This spell is only effective in a natural setting, man made tunnels, dungeons and buildings will prevent this spell from working.

Page 4 – Faerie Fire – Range
Changed to match rest of document. Left the quote marks for feet and inches in Spell Ranges changed them in the Spell descriptions.
Was:
Range: 200 feet. +10'/level
Changed to:
Range: 200’ +10'/level

Page 4 – Faerie Fire – Paragraph 1
Was:
… within a 20’ radius …
Changed to:
… within a 20 ft radius …

Page 4 – Flame Strike – Paragraph 1
Was:
(cylinder of 10' radius, 30' high)
Changed to:
(cylinder of 10 ft radius, 30 ft high)

Page 5 – Obscuring Mist – Paragraph 1
Was:
The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 2d4’.
Changed to:
The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 2d4 ft.

Page 5 – Part Water – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster is able to affect a body of water up to 5’/caster level.
Changed to:
The caster is able to affect a body of water up to 5 ft/caster level.

Page 5 – Plant Growth – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within 400’ + 40‘/caster level to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Movement drops to 5’, or 10’ for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect. An area up to 100 ' radius may thusbe altered. Also, the caster may specify an area (a path, a clearing, etc.) within the given area of effect which is not so affected.
Changed to:
This spell causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within 400 ft + 40 ft/caster level to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Movement drops to 5 ft, or 10 ft for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect. An area up to 100 ft radius may thus be altered. Also, the caster may specify an area (a path, a clearing, etc.) within the given area of effect which is not so affected.

Page 5 – Produce Flame/Cold – Paragraph 1
Was:
The flames don’t harm the casteror his or her equipment
Changed to:
The flames don’t harm the caster or his or her equipment

Page 5 – Produce Flame/Cold – Paragraph 2
Changed the quote to ft, also reduced the distance to be equal to a hurled flask of holy water (50 ft)
Was:
Alternatively, the caster can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 120’ as a thrown weapon.
Changed to:
Alternatively, the caster can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 50 ft as a thrown weapon.

Page 6 – Rock to Mud – Paragraph 1 and 2
Was:
This spell turns natural, uncut or un-worked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud; up to two 10’ cubes per caster level may be so transformed. Magical stone is not affected by this spell. The depth of the mud created cannot exceed 10’. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 feet and causing it to suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and AC. Creatures large enough to walk on the bottom can wade through the area at a speed of 5’, suffering none of the other penalties given.
If rock to mud is cast upon the ceiling of a cavern or tunnel, the mud falls to the floor and spreads out in a pool to a depth of 5’. The falling mud and the ensuing cave-in deal 8d6 points of damage to anyone caught directly beneath the area, or half damage to those who succeed a save vs. Death Ray.
Changed to:
This spell turns natural, uncut or un-worked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud; up to two 10 ft cubes per caster level may be so transformed. Magical stone is not affected by this spell. The depth of the mud created cannot exceed 10 ft. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 ft and causing it to suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and AC. Creatures large enough to walk on the bottom can wade through the area at a speed of 5 ft, suffering none of the other penalties given.
If rock to mud is cast upon the ceiling of a cavern or tunnel, the mud falls to the floor and spreads out in a pool to a depth of 5 ft. The falling mud and the ensuing cave-in deal 8d6 points of damage to anyone caught directly beneath the area, or half damage to those who succeed a save vs. Death Ray.

Page 7 – Tree Sanctuary – Paragraph 1
Was:
The tree must be at least 10' tall and planted into the earth for this spell to work.
Changed to:
The tree must be at least 10 ft tall and planted into the earth for this spell to work.

Page 7 – Warp Wood – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20’ radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1’ on all sides or its equivalent per caster level.
Changed to:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20 ft radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1 ft on all sides or its equivalent per caster level.

Page 8 – Animal Affinity – Paragraph 2
Was:
Monstrous animals such as griffins, owlbears, pegasi, or other such “near-natural” creatures are treated as they are 1 HD more than listed to reflect their unique natures.
Changed to:
Monstrous animals such as griffins, owlbears, pegasi, or other such “near-natural” creatures are treated as if they are 1 HD more than listed to reflect their unique natures.

Added Tricky Nikki and Merias to the list of contributors for this document, Changed the release number to 8. Added 2020 to copyright date.

The document is in the Projects folder.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I have one question about the Druid supplement: The description for part water says “The caster is able to affect a body of water up to 5 ft/caster level.” Is this 5 ft wide or 5 ft deep? Or is it 5 cubic ft of water is parted?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You know, I'm not sure what I meant there.

Maybe I need to look that over again.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Inspired by other "home rules" compendiums, I am working to make my own. While going through and composing it, I am seeing some interesting things on the component parts that I would like to ask and suggest. I don't know what the process for newbies is, and what I suggest may just be nonsense, but I'll give it a shot anyway. For no particular reason, I thought I'd start with Druids.

Suggestion 1: Two Extra Spells
For the sake of potentially nonsensical consistency, it seems odd that Druids get 8 spells per level, until the last (sixth) level where they only get 6. I suggest upping that to 8 spells (so each level of spells gets 8) and have suggestions for those two slots.
1) Find the Path: This is a standard clerical spell that is available to Druids in other versions I have access to (AD&D1e and the 3.5 online SRD). It is on theme, honestly makes more sense than Word of Recall, and doesn't require the creation of a new spell to accomplish. It seems like a pretty harmless addition.
2) Summon Animals III: Ignoring the 3.5 reference, the AD&D1e Druid spells specifically includes a Animal Summoning I as a fourth level spell, Animal Summoning II as a fifth level spell (as in BFRPG), but also Animal Summoning III as a sixth level spell. While this is technically a "new spell", it is really just extending the progression by one and isn't going to be breaking anything directly.

Suggestion 2: Extra Abilities
With the BFRPG Druid, they get their "Wild Shape" ability through a third level spell, they get their Animal Companion(s) through a first level spell (like in AD&D1e), and they get their Pass Without Trace from another spell. However, they are missing a couple minor extra abilities I think should be added as class features:
1) Identify plants and animals. Obviously this only applies to non-creature plants and "normal" animals. The weird stuff is for the Magic-User to determine.
2) Identify clean water.
3) Woodland Stride: The ability to pass without hindrance through heavy natural terrain with normal movement. (This is NOT "without a trace" and does not work through magically overgrown terrain.)
I suggest all three of these abilities be granted at the third level. These abilities are in addition to the already present Calm and Befriend Animals.

Neither of these suggestions should really affect the "balance" of the Druid, but help fill them out more.

EDIT: On extra note: I see that the latest update has corrected that Rock to Mud should be reversible. Which is great. But the description doesn't actually give any rules for how the reverse actually works.
Last edited by daryen on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.