Galactic Encounters Role-Playing Game

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Scifi Role-Playing Game

Post by Solomoriah »

Definitely not doing away with levels. I've written that system, and I didn't like it.

Each class will have one Primary skill, increasing each level, and up to two Secondary skills increasing every two levels, plus possibly some Secondary skills that increase every 3 levels. Characters won't be able to add Primary or Secondary skills after starting play, but Standard skills will be available.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

Levels are my preference as well, it gives characters a measurable level of strength, useful for modules and preplanned adventures.

How would "Standard skills" differ from the class attributed ones?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

They don't. "Standard" means "advances every 3 levels." "Secondary" means every 2 levels, "Primary" means every level.

In BFRPG terms, Fighters would have Primary Combat, Clerics and Thieves get Secondary Combat, and Magic-Users just get Combat. Magic-Users would have some sort of Primary Magic skill, of course. Not as clear how this works in a sci-fi game, which is why I want a properly balanced class creation mechanism.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

That's actually my house rules for skills for BFRPG, standard skills are those that anyone can try, it uses the MU's attack bonus, secondary skills uses the Cleric's one and primary uses the Fighter's AB, for non conflicting situations one adds 10 to the bonus (including ability modifier and others) and must roll lower than the score, for conflicting ones, either go with roll vs roll or roll vs score.
I've changed HD in a manner that they are based on race and gained accordingly to the skill category they belong (I found out this has been done in another retro game)
I also took some inspiration from the Arcanum series :lol:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hackworthy

Post by Hackworthy »

I was thinking of using the Cortex System in order to run Dune because the only official Dune RPG book is made of unobtainium now. This would be way better if it came to fruition. Humanocentric and setting-neutral? Perfect.
AnonKobold

Post by AnonKobold »

I am VERY Exited for a splatbook for a Sci Fi RPG ^W^
POR LA ROY!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Uploaded my first sketch of rules to the first post.

I'll probably steal the reaction/morale system from Iron Falcon wholesale... it's just simple and nice. A bunch of other stuff will come more or less from Basic Fantasy. Some more will be made up from scratch or stolen from other projects of mine (including my unreleased personal Iron Falcon setting and adventure series, which has some unique addon rules).
TardisCaptain

Post by TardisCaptain »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm Uploaded my first sketch of rules to the first post.

I'll probably steal the reaction/morale system from Iron Falcon wholesale... it's just simple and nice. A bunch of other stuff will come more or less from Basic Fantasy. Some more will be made up from scratch or stolen from other projects of mine (including my unreleased personal Iron Falcon setting and adventure series, which has some unique addon rules).
Whoo hoo. Downloaded the rules. I'll look it over and let you know of any feedback or questions.

Thank you for doing this.
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding. http://tardiscaptain.com
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BTW the Strength table is going bye-bye in the next release, so don't bother asking about it. I hated it the moment it was finished.
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

A great start. I can't wait to see where this goes.
I do have a couple questions/comments:
Regarding the types of skills: Advanced, Expert, or Basic, where Advanced>Expert>Basic. For me Expert sounds like the most skilled type, rather than advanced. Perhaps Master would be better as it adds a level of finality to the highest level skills.
How does moral work with the +/- modifiers? D0 you roll something against a set DC?