Issues with .odt file in LibreOffice

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mazirian

Issues with .odt file in LibreOffice

Post by Mazirian »

I have tried to open the core rulebook in LibreOffice, but some of the text spills over to the next page, making things look quite poor. I have made sure to download Soutane, but even that did not fix it. Any advice?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Issues with .odt file in LibreOffice

Post by Solomoriah »

Editing the ODT files is an art, not a science, sadly. There's a reason I do all the layout... I have many hard-won XP in this area. Why are you working with the Core Rules ODT anyway?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mazirian

Post by Mazirian »

I realized I could really benefit from a single book containing the Core Rules, Field Guide, Equipment Emporium, some Ad&d conversions I wish to do, and my house rules. I figured I would take the time to compile this, starting with the .odt Core Rules. I understand that formatting .odt can be quite difficult, but I'm not really sure why it doesn't even open properly.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Most likely, your printer driver metrics are different from mine. Or there's something in your font system's internal settings that's causing the problem. Changing LibreOffice versions often results in flow collapses that I have to fix manually. I told you, there's a reason I'm the only one who does the layout... I'm the only one who will put up with it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The bizarre thing is, LibreOffice still does a better job than Word. I can position art and tables and frames in ways that actually behave... I just can't change versions without expecting some pain and suffering.
Mazirian

Post by Mazirian »

Thanks for the response, Chris. I suppose I will just try to fix it myself. It will be good for me to get the experience anyways :D. This isn't the place for this, but I wanted to thank you for the excellent game you have made. It is probably the best rpg I have ever read or played.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thank you, sir, and good luck!