New race? Dragonfolk

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
xevenwood

New race? Dragonfolk

Post by xevenwood »

Hey guys, it's xevenwood. I just wrote up a player race for dragon people. I obviously haven't gotten to play-test it yet, but wanted to see what you guys thought of it. This is going to be part of a bigger supplement, which is going to be about a world I've been writing and have been running a campaign in. It was in another system which had a race of dragon people, so this is partly a conversion. I did use the dragons from the core rules as reference to make this race though.
Attachments
BF Dragonfolk v2.odt
(33.03 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
teaman

Re: New race? Dragonfolk

Post by teaman »

Here's a few thoughts:

Do the dragonfolk make the save or their opponents?

Maybe they should be able to use the breath weapon more often? The damage isn't that overpowering.

Are their class restrictions for them?

A REALLY nice start on this one? Maybe post it as text right in the forums and folks can help tweak it?
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Here are my first thoughts:

For those of us without any references to your world, we don't know anything except physical considerations. No cultural info, how they get along with other races, etc. I would suggest at least a paragraph or two that lays out something.

Breath Weapon. I agree it could be better. If I were doing this, I would change this a little:

Can use breath weapon 1xday for level 1 thru 5, 2xday for level 6-10, 3xday for level 11-15, etc.
Additionally the damage progresses at the same rate. 1d6 for levels 1-5, 2d6 for level 6-10, 3d6 for level 11-15, etc. (better damage, but consistent for each type of breath).
The breath weapon is usable against foes directly in front of the character within a 10ft square area (again to make consistent/easy for every kind of breath).
In each case, the target(s) gets to save versus Dragon Breath for half damage.

For the resistance part, I would just say the character is effectively immune to non-magical or mundane forms of damage that matches their dragon type. Against magical attacks, the character saves at +4 vs the damage type, takes only half damage with a failed save, and if the save is successful takes 1/4 damage (half again). This is similar to several cold-region creatures that appear in the Field Guide 2 (Jotenkin as an example)... I think my wording here is a little wonky though.

Then overall... what is their detriment? I only see bonuses except for the minor dex limitation. There needs to be some thing substantial... otherwise one looks at this and says "why wouldn't someone play a dragonkin". Everyone will play one without some sort of consideration that makes them balanced. Maybe something like, "aside from other reptilian races, suffers negative reactions or even hostility most of the time." Also, one could code in vulnerabilties to attacks opposing their their breath type. Reds take extra damage vs cold attacks, etc.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I like it, it has a "basic" style that goes along with the game.

I like the flat breath weapon, never like it when a race increase a special ability based on a class level... Giving them a little more use may or may not unbalance things, you can give them more uses per day, a flat % of successfully using the attack or a d6 pool to use each day (with a limit of how much d6 can be rolled at once).

Maybe the race could have some drawbacks like being more hard for them to hide (having a big body with tail and such), not being able to use standard armor and helmets (requiring more race-specific and expensive ones)

I can see them being fighters, MU and thieves, and even F/MU and MU/T, their magic and lust for gold runs in their veins, but not really as clerics, but maybe this comes from your world setting.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post by teaman »

SmootRK wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:40 pm Here are my first thoughts:

For those of us without any references to your world, we don't know anything except physical considerations. No cultural info, how they get along with other races, etc. I would suggest at least a paragraph or two that lays out something.

Breath Weapon. I agree it could be better. If I were doing this, I would change this a little:

Can use breath weapon 1xday for level 1 thru 5, 2xday for level 6-10, 3xday for level 11-15, etc.
Additionally the damage progresses at the same rate. 1d6 for levels 1-5, 2d6 for level 6-10, 3d6 for level 11-15, etc. (better damage, but consistent for each type of breath).
The breath weapon is usable against foes directly in front of the character within a 10ft square area (again to make consistent/easy for every kind of breath).
In each case, the target(s) gets to save versus Dragon Breath for half damage.

For the resistance part, I would just say the character is effectively immune to non-magical or mundane forms of damage that matches their dragon type. Against magical attacks, the character saves at +4 vs the damage type, takes only half damage with a failed save, and if the save is successful takes 1/4 damage (half again). This is similar to several cold-region creatures that appear in the Field Guide 2 (Jotenkin as an example)... I think my wording here is a little wonky though.

Then overall... what is their detriment? I only see bonuses except for the minor dex limitation. There needs to be some thing substantial... otherwise one looks at this and says "why wouldn't someone play a dragonkin". Everyone will play one without some sort of consideration that makes them balanced. Maybe something like, "aside from other reptilian races, suffers negative reactions or even hostility most of the time." Also, one could code in vulnerabilties to attacks opposing their their breath type. Reds take extra damage vs cold attacks, etc.
I like the idea of extra vulnerability, and maybe difficult to hide as well (another poster had this as well).
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
xevenwood

Post by xevenwood »

Hey, thanks for the feedback, I was thinking of some of these things as I was making it, but wanted to get an initial amount of feedback. I was considering restricting them from being thieves, but I think I'd rather put other restrictions on them. I'm going to work on revising it I'll also put their standing in my world as well. I'll post it when its done.
xevenwood

Dragonfolk v2

Post by xevenwood »

Hey guys, it's xevenwood. I've got the next version of Dragonfolk written, with changes based on feedback I got last time. I think its better than last time, but I'd love to get some feedback.
Attachments
BF Dragonfolk v2.odt
(33.03 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Dragonfolk v2

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks, xevenwood, but if this is an update to something you've released here before, it should be posted in the original thread. I'm going to merge them. Generally, we keep each supplement in a thread of its own, updating the first post with the current version of the document.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
xevenwood

Post by xevenwood »

Thank you Solomoriah, I didn't know that. I'll remember that for next time. :lol:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

S'awright, happy to help out.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org