Started building an online Character Creator for BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tvance929

Started building an online Character Creator for BFRPG

Post by tvance929 »

Just wanted to share my version 0.0.0.0.0.0.1 (lol) of this creator I just started.

I basically made it to help myself learn Vue.JS (another new JS library that we just started using at work :( ) ... anyway ... I got it working to a basic basic level.

It will help you with choosing a race, abilities, and then a qualified class as well as figure up your saving throws based on all of that. I think its working correctly unless I misunderstood something.

It auto fills in those fields in the character sheet option and lets the user edit all the other fields. I plan on making it more robust ( as in, allowing folks to assign equipment and weapons ).

I'm going to leave it so the user has to handle their own 'money' but they should be able to choose equipment probably on my next iteration. (at least weapon, armor and maybe spells... the problem with spells is I also wasnt wanting to manage levels yet and just allow users to fill those in themselves)

There will also be an import export function so users can export their user... giving them a json file that they can then import later on if they want to change levels and details. This is a better option than doing logins for me anyway.

SO HERE IT IS... she's butt ugly ( im a code monkey not a designer ) and in her infancy so keep that in mind but IN SAYING THAT, I would love feedback.
(the print function opens another tab and you have to hit ctrl-p yourself once there, otherwise it was printing before it applied the css... ill figure that out later)
(OH .. and ya, I didnt finish the last page yet... basically once you choose your class you are done at this point, open the Character Sheet and it should be filled in for you)

http://toddvance.com/bfrpg/
MinkyBoodle

Re: Started building an online Character Creator for BFRPG

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Thanks for making this. I'm always happy when there are character building programs. Interesting character builder so far. I like where you're going with this. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Thanks MinkyBoodle!!!
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Suggestion. Combine the 3 dice rolled window into just one (the result) and build 5 more of windows. This will let people roll a stat array with one button then assign them as they want.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Good idea Metroknight! I kinda just threw that in there as a fun utility if they wanted to use a random dice roll.. but I like your version better. Ill make that change.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Slight typo when you are looking at the human race. The special description says +1-% but I think you were meaning +10%.

Suggestions:

When you run through the process and after you click the next button in the class page, it takes you to a blank page with the character sheet button in the top left side. Could it be setup to open directly into the character sheet?

Might want to think about hard coding the initial AB as +1 since all classes start with that.

Might want to think about adding an additional XP field and label them current and next. This helps some people track their xp on their sheets easier than having it both on one field.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Thank you on the typo!

Yes I need to do the final page, was going to auto expand the char sheet on that page but wanted to say something about the charts.... direct people to the charts download and the bfrpg page, etc etc.
** Trying to decide what I want to do for them as opposed to just letting them fill out on the editable form fields... not sure I want to program it right now to track ALL 20 levels of information ( actually I know I dont right now, lol ) ... at this point, if I could just direct them to the right charts so they can fill things in and make changes based on the level - that would be good for this first iteration.

Ya I am going to default everything start as a level 1 character (ab +1, xp 0, etc etc) SO if they choose to export it will have all that information for when they import back in later. **Im also thinking about saving their current character to the browser cache... so as long as they dont clear their cache it will still be there when they return** Again, just not ready to go to the final step of allowing logins and keeping all that in a database.

I will add the additional xp field as you suggest, thanks SO MUCH!!!!!

***Ill update this stuff soon and let you know when its changed.. thanks so much for taking a peak! Ill get it to a decent first iteration in case anyone besides my players want to use it. I ALSO have it uploaded to GitHub so if anyone wants to grab the code and run with it on their own they can, just let me know and Ill share the repo address...just know its a VUE.js mess right now***
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

For now keeping it for first level characters is perfectly fine. If you were going to track it in a database there are few fields to deal with.
  • AB
  • Saves
  • Thief skills
  • Turn undead
  • Spell slots
Those are the ones that tend to change the most during leveling in a static manner. Hit points should be left manual (unless you want to create a HD roller that is tied to level but that might be complex probably due to the variables: (Level x HD) + (Level x Con Bonus/Penalty) = HP).