Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tvance929

Re: Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

Post by tvance929 »

Sounds fun... I'm going to make it some underground influential evil cabal thing ... that will probably have to do with an evil cleric in the final dungeon... btw WOOT - just got my book!

[attachment=0]2019-12-20_13-10-15.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
2019-12-20_13-10-15.jpg
2019-12-20_13-10-15.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

wait, you roll initiative EVERY round?!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

tvance929 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:09 pm wait, you roll initiative EVERY round?!
That is the way of BFRPG. Keeps combat rolling a little random.

That said, in my experience for younger or newer to rpgs, it is perfectly fine to roll once and keep the order. In fact, when my children were young, I rolled d20 for initiative, resolved ties with highest Dex (or tie breaker rolls when dexterity matches)... and kept the order intact round to round unless one did an action that moved them in the order (like delaying). Much less chaotic for them when learning to do combats.

As they got older, I switched back to more standard arrangements (albeit, I use d10 still) so we do more simultaneous actions instead of the tie breakers.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

I'm actually excited about that! Just need to make sure I make it quick and easy for everyone but I LOVE the idea of initiative changing every round... so cool!
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

tvance929 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:44 pm I'm actually excited about that! Just need to make sure I make it quick and easy for everyone but I LOVE the idea of initiative changing every round... so cool!
Don't forget that while the PCs get to add their dexterity bonus to the initiative roll, monsters don't not get such bonus (as far as I've seen in the book). I use a d10 instead of a d6 for a wider spread. I think it gives the monsters a more fairer chance to go before the PCs.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Thanks for the heads up and suggestion! I'll see how its going and maybe switch!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Metroknight wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:16 amDon't forget that while the PCs get to add their dexterity bonus to the initiative roll, monsters don't not get such bonus (as far as I've seen in the book). I use a d10 instead of a d6 for a wider spread. I think it gives the monsters a more fairer chance to go before the PCs.
Giving monsters a bonus on a case-by-case basis is left to the GM, as are many things in BFRPG.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

These posts remind me that I have always thought that a field called Initiative Modifier should be included in monster stat blocks. If a monster was exceptionally quick or dexterous, then it could have a good modifier. A slow moving or otherwise sluggish creature might have a penalty score. No need to officially declare a dexterity score directly; it is more of a score that combines or compiles such factors.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

So I messed up spells ... we had a mage who took magic missile and I started handling it like 5E where the caster rolled a D20 as opposed to doing a saving throw which I remembered after the fact is most likely the right way.
But if that is the right way, does the caster's wisdom/intelligence/level factor into that saving throw at all? I feel like it should as the better the caster is, the harder it should be to save against it BUT I couldnt find that spelled (tee hee) out in the book... maybe I missed it, I havent scoured for it yet.

Also totally blanked on AB and that table and was just adding mods for strength and dex but thats just a first time mistake... i totally got it now. ( oh and I forgot to give monsters an AB as well :( ) ....

But the first session is over, my peeps loved it. I hope to play more and more of this system!
teaman

Post by teaman »

tvance929 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:17 pm Also totally blanked on AB and that table and was just adding mods for strength and dex but thats just a first time mistake... i totally got it now. ( oh and I forgot to give monsters an AB as well :( )
I had a player who forgot this for about a year. I blame myself for not catching it sooner too.

But funny thing, we all had a good time. Sounds like you folks did too!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games