Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tvance929

Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

Post by tvance929 »

I'll be running my first session of BFRPG with a group this Sunday! I'm pumped but also a little nervous...

My plan is to just have them show up and I will introduce them to the game and have them make chars on the spot due to the simplified rules.

I plan on making inventory a real concern unlike with 5e where Ive dropped some of the details due to the complexity of other things.

I plan on making money and thus inventory and FOOD all scarce and real needs - again something different due to the simplified rules ( I am hoping this will make things fun in a new way and will also make treasure great again )

I plan on just getting them spelunking into the 1st Morgansfort dungeon right away maybe with some simple introductions of the area and a backstory.

My biggest worry is not having my hand held with a thicker story as I have with some of the pre-made 5E campaigns... but then again, Morgansfort seems to mainly be a dungeon crawl so that shouldnt necessarily be a worry.

I'm thinking that with the need for these guys to get money to actually buy the things they need, including food and water in conjunction with this being a dungeon crawl that this might just be a really unique and fun experience... TOTALLY ASKING FOR ADVICE
teaman

Re: Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

Post by teaman »

Few points, take 'em with a grain of salt:

-Whip up some pregens rather than go through character creation. You'll get to play much quicker.
-You may want to have a list of suggested names. Seriously, I've had convention players choose silly names and it kind of ruins the immersion if someone is named "Tony Stark" or "Bob the Wookie"
-Try to have a goal they can meet for the first session. Even in a dungeon crawl, maybe there is a specific item. You can always have a local who has been kidnapped. Then place that item or person in the last room of the night. (sneaky old DM's!) I've had beginnning players rescue Isabella the roaming halfling many times.

Just my two cents. Which ain't much these days.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

ok that last suggestion was a game changer, literally... thats what was missing, a goal or two!!! YES! I will do that! thanks!
teaman

Post by teaman »

tvance929 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 pm ok that last suggestion was a game changer, literally... thats what was missing, a goal or two!!! YES! I will do that! thanks!
Glad to be of service and let us know how the game goes!

Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

For the first session, if they are new to OSR or the hobby, encourage them to always consider the option of retreating from an encounter rather than fight. Not all encounters need to be combat, just saying.

I would recommend giving them a simple adventure. It might be a dungeon crawl like you mention or you could have some little old granny ask the adventurers to go find her bluebell (goat or cow) that disappeared from it's field last night. It is too minor for the town guard to deal with but it would be good reputation building for them with the town folks since they are new to the area, aka outsiders.

Having them do minor things like finding lost animal (could lead to something greater), go off to collect something (surprise discovery like a ruin or unknown dungeon/cave entrance), etc will allow them to build a bond with the npc's.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Metroknight wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:21 am For the first session, if they are new to OSR or the hobby, encourage them to always consider the option of retreating from an encounter rather than fight. Not all encounters need to be combat, just saying.

I would recommend giving them a simple adventure. It might be a dungeon crawl like you mention or you could have some little old granny ask the adventurers to go find her bluebell (goat or cow) that disappeared from it's field last night. It is too minor for the town guard to deal with but it would be good reputation building for them with the town folks since they are new to the area, aka outsiders.

Having them do minor things like finding lost animal (could lead to something greater), go off to collect something (surprise discovery like a ruin or unknown dungeon/cave entrance), etc will allow them to build a bond with the npc's.
Great stuff, Metroknight! Maybe an ogre captured that cow and has it tied up in a cave. Has a couple goblin guards outside, maybe a pit trap on the path. Roleplay in town, keep things not too lethal and straightforward, and that's a good night of adventuring.

tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Thank you Metro!!! Whats funny is this group has just started the IceSpire peak adventure from DnD essentials and stopped on a cow retrieval mission... lol, would be funny to send them on another one.

Actually I love the ideas you guys have given to add this extra 'mission' element, I feel that was something that was missing from my plan. Here's my plan, I think...

Just as they are leaving the inn at the fort a couple approach them (they look well off) ... they beg the adventurers to find their daughter whom disappeared in that first dungeon. If asked, the guards nor anyone will talk about this couple or the daughter and the party cannot figure out why.

I'll have them find the daughter in the last room of the night, just after some big battle... she'll be completely fine. No dirt, no torn clothes, no messy hair... but something is really 'off' about her that gives the adventurers chills.... not sure where I'll go from there but Ill have some underlying dark thing going on within the inner circles of those at the fort that must be rooted out!
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

tvance929 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am Thank you Metro!!! Whats funny is this group has just started the IceSpire peak adventure from DnD essentials and stopped on a cow retrieval mission... lol, would be funny to send them on another one.

Actually I love the ideas you guys have given to add this extra 'mission' element, I feel that was something that was missing from my plan. Here's my plan, I think...

Just as they are leaving the inn at the fort a couple approach them (they look well off) ... they beg the adventurers to find their daughter whom disappeared in that first dungeon. If asked, the guards nor anyone will talk about this couple or the daughter and the party cannot figure out why.

I'll have them find the daughter in the last room of the night, just after some big battle... she'll be completely fine. No dirt, no torn clothes, no messy hair... but something is really 'off' about her that gives the adventurers chills.... not sure where I'll go from there but Ill have some underlying dark thing going on within the inner circles of those at the fort that must be rooted out!
If you really want to mess with the PC's minds, don't have anyone else react too much to the couple, no one bumps into them, animals shy away from them, etc. During the return, the missing daughter doesn't eat or drink. After the daughter is rejoined to her parents at their farm, they thank the party then fade away (describe how you want to) and their farm shimmers to reveal it has been abandoned and in ruins, etc...

Backstory: The daughter vanished many years ago during an orc raid while the parents were killed and their farm was razed. No other settler would stay at the farm for some reason. Many claimed unexplained things kept happening and over time that farm gain the reputation of being haunted.

With the return of the daughter's spirit, the family can now rest.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

I think we're on to something, lol!
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I ran that type of scenario back a few years ago for a Halloween game as an introduction to gaming for some never played before players. It was an in person game so I had various sound tracks lined up for ambient music, low level lighting when needed, etc... The players had fun and they still game last I heard.