[AA3] The Assassin’s Conundrum

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
jobend

[AA3] The Assassin’s Conundrum

Post by jobend »

Hi there!

About 8 months ago I stumbled upon Basic fantasy and bought some prints.
Since then I've played Morgansfort over Roll20 with some friends. I even made new acquaintances. I've had several sessions of fun for about $15 (and $1000 shipping to Sweden ;) )

So, to contribute to this amazing community I decided to take a stab at writing something like an adventure.
Right away I was aware of, just how much of my former English-vocabulary I've lost. But anyway, it's called "The assassins conundrum" and is a three part adventure in a city setting.
It makes use of the additional rules for the class Assassin.
The basic framework is ready and I started writing chapter 1 (of 3)

Now, I am curious for what you guys think of the concept. If you like it, I'll keep on writing otherwise I have to rethink the idea. Please overlook spell-errors at this stage as English is not my native language.

Thanks!

Edit: this is now in AA3
Last edited by jobend on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The assassins conundrum

Post by Solomoriah »

Glad to see a new member (though I have to say, I've seen that face before...) contributing an adventure. Welcome!

So, some comments. First of all, a city adventure (especially an involved one) is cool. Something we really don't have at present. I do wish you'd share the original source document, preferably in ODT format (LibreOffice/OpenOffice format). If you do, our crack(ed) team of editors will descend upon it like shoppers on Black Friday and hammer out the language and formatting for you. If it ends up large enough, it could eventually be published on its own as part of the Basic Fantasy Project (assuming that's what you want, and as you're sharing it in our Workshop I'm guessing that's the plan). If it's shorter, fear not, another Adventure Anthology is due along the tracks any minute now...

Once again, welcome to the Basic Fantasy Project!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Agreed, we have far too few city adventures. I did recently re-read One Night in Slateholm, certainly does start to spin the wheels...

Yes, we're certainly happy to help with editing, layout, etc. If you're intending a larger self-contained series of modules, great! Yes, AA3 will be slowly coming together in the near/mid future. Once we get quite a few other items finished and in print.
jobend

Post by jobend »

Thanks Solomoriah and Chiisu81!
Yes, my intentions is, of course, to share. Luckily I use a Linux-machine with Libre office, so the original is in .odt to start with. I'll upload the odt-file to the original post.

Thank you for your feedback!
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Jobend,

Thank you for your submission, attached to this post is my first pass at your adventure. I also took the time to put it into the Adventure Module format so it has the two columns and the right fonts. I also made some slight changes to the spelling and grammar of the story, please look it over to make sure it still says what you intended it to say. If you like it update the version to 2 and save it back to your original post.

Keep up the good work. :D I like the hat too.
Attachments
Assassins Conundrum v1-5.odt
(452.66 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
jobend

Post by jobend »

Wow, thanks AlMan! I will continue in your document.
jobend

Post by jobend »

So I've continued writing for a bit and updated the document to 2.0 and uploaded it in my original post.
Seems it's gonna be a fairly long adventure, but not long enough for it's on module.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

jobend wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 am So I've continued writing for a bit and updated the document to 2.0 and uploaded it in my original post.
Seems it's gonna be a fairly long adventure, but not long enough for it's on module.
Here is another Edit session:
Page 2 – What’s really going on? - paragraph 1
Changed “else s” to “else’s”.

Page 3 – Vadrifell – paragraph 1
Changed ‘south west’ to ‘southwest’.
Changed ‘craft men’ to ‘craftsmen’.

Page 3 – Vadrifell – paragraph 2
Changed ‘Menorins’ to ‘Menorin’s’.
Changed ‘Menoris’ to ‘Menorin’s’.
Changed ‘slaughterers’ to ‘butchers’. (Not as gross sounding.)

Page 3 – Vadrifell – paragraph 3
Changed Vadrifells to Vadrifell’s.
Changed ‘lives’ to ‘live’.

Page 5 – Aleam the blacksmith – paragraph 1
Changed ‘buyers’ to ‘buyer’.

Page 5 – The Knave and Cask
Changed ‘runs’ to ‘run’.

Page 6 – Chapter 1 – Title
Changed ‘guild of thieves’ to ‘Guild of Thieves’.

Page 6 – Terey’s story – title
Changed ‘story’ to ‘Story’.
I left the improper spellings in Terey’s spoken words since they are there for character flavor.

Page 6 – The Initiation – paragraph 2
Changed ‘bow’ to ‘Bow’.

Page 7 – The Initiation – paragraph 7
Changed ‘walk backwards out’ to ‘walk out, backwards.’.
Added a paragraph since there were two people talking. Each person’s speech should be in a seperate paragraph.

Page 7 – The training – Title and paragraph 1
Changed ‘training’ to ‘Training’.
Changed the sentence ‘Instead they are issued black leather armors and short sword or daggers.’ to ‘Instead they are each issued black leather armor, a short sword or daggers.’

Page 7 – Final exam – title
Changed ‘exam’ to ‘Exam’

Page 7 – Final Exam – paragraph 1
Changed ‘PC’ to ‘PCs’

Page 7 – Final Exam – paragraph 3
Changed ‘spend’ to spends’.
Changed military time to standard time with am and pm. 07.00 to 7:00 am and 18.00 to 6:00 pm.

Page 7 – Final Exam – paragraph 4
Changed ‘PC’ to ‘PCs’
Changed ‘the’ to ‘they’

Page 8 – Graduation – paragraph 2
Changed ‘leas’ to ‘leads’.

Page 8 – Graduation – paragraph 3
Changed ‘ring’ to ‘Ring’.

I put this as Release 3. I'll see if I have enough rights to put it into your first post on this thread. Can't wait to see how this will end up.

This has been posted in the first entry of this thread. Chiisu or Solo may want to remove the previous release. (I don't like messing with someone else's entry to much.)
jobend

Post by jobend »

Thank you for your hard work! I am so grateful for your proofreading help.

I used time in military style because that's how we normally write time in Sweden, but I'll guess I have to learn am and pm :lol:

I noticed that "Adventure Key" in the page header is just "Adventure K" in every odd page. I've tried to remedy that, but I'm afraid I'll just screw up the formatting.

I will remove release 2.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You should be able to directly edit the header, but if it doesn't work right, don't sweat it, we'll redo all of that when we start collecting AA3 anyway.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org