CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
sean8223

Re: The Dark Temple

Post by sean8223 »

Here is a r4 of "Three Days of Peace and Music". This draft fixes a few typos and clarifies the description of some of the items based on feedback. Unless any glaring errors surface, this will be the final revision.

As for a blurb in the index, please use: "A huge festival drawing thousands of visitors to the site of an ancient temple is underway. It is the sundown on the eve of opening day, and one of the headlining performers has vanished. At the same time, a weird shimmering apparition has appeared in the apse of the ruined temple. The PCs have been approached by management to resolve the situation quickly ... and discreetly. The show must go on!"

Thanks!
Attachments
ThreeDaysOfPeaceAndMusic-r4.odt
(290.41 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. Okay, we need to discuss procedures here.

I've compiled all of your adventures into one master document; R1 of that document is now on the Downloads page, and R2 is being worked on by Chi. When he's done, he'll hand it back to me and I'll do another preliminary layout pass, possibly adding some artwork.

But now I have a new copy of your adventure, and I don't know what you changed. I can't just copy and paste the whole thing into the document without losing any work that Chi or I have done to your adventure, and we're lazy and hate losing work. What I'll have to do is to load your new version and the older one I used in the current master copy into the "compare documents" feature of LibreOffice, then manually copy your changes one by one to the master copy after Chi sends it back to me.

I'll do it, but I'd like to not do it again. Any of you who have submitted adventures to this book, please, if you want to make changes, get the current master copy from the Downloads and make your changes there, then email the new version to me at solomoriah@basicfantasy.org . Then, I can use "compare documents" to semi-automatically copy your changes into Chi's new master copy (or whatever master copy is current when I receive your changes). Or, if you let me know first, I can loop you in to the editing process and give you a turn. At any given moment, only one of us has "control" of the master copy of any document, and we coordinate control mostly through the forum (i.e. right here in the thread).

TO BE CLEAR: I'm not saying you can't edit your own works... absolutely, we welcome your involvement! But as we are now taking on the task of editing and layout, we'd appreciate it if you work with us so that we don't have to redo anything. And yes, it can be a slow process... sorry about that. None of us get paid to do this, so naturally we work at our own pace.

OKAY, let's see what you changed:

Absent the rare astronomical conjunction and support of Timoteo's (thankfully lost) incantations, the opening of the gate in the present day is somewhat less dire than originally intended. In fact, were the temple not thronged with the vital energy of thousands of hyped-up concert goers, the whole thing might even have gone unnoticed, with the portal languishing as yet another cosmic by-way through the backwaters of the multiverse.

Among the other effects of Vheld’broggn’s approach are the sudden appearance of unnatural creatures and weird apparitions throughout the temple, such as the ghostly hourglass in area 14. Some of these illusions reveal scenes from the temple’s history and are intended to provide the party with clues regarding the forces currently at work. When such an illusion manifests, it will present as a three-dimensional, semi-transparent scene, repeating in a loop in the spot where it was encountered. Watching each scene completely will take 3 full turns of game time, as will each repeat visit should the PCs wish to see a replay.

A young, dark haired man dressed in the robes of the Necromancers’ Guild intently scribbles on a blackboard, which is covered with strange symbols and lengthy calculations. A bowl of burning charcoal sits atop an ornately decorated golden tripod on a desk behind him. The man periodically consults the fire as he proceeds with his writing, as if seeing something in its glowing embers.

A man with long black hair sits at a desk piled high with tomes and scrolls. A small golden tripod holding a burning brazier stands on the desk amidst the clutter. The flames dance and take on the shape of strange creatures that jump into his hand through a small octagonal metal frame that he holds, fizzling out as he catches them.

Here Timoteo’s followers are preparing the gate in the temple’s Great Hall. Any PC that has seen area 33 or the image of Timoteo at his tripod will recognize the connection immediately. The tripod itself can be found in area 23.

Well, that wasn't too bad. Chi, feel free to go ahead and integrate these updated paragraphs into R2, or leave them for me if you want. We'll also add the blurb.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Oh, man. It's so exciting to see my adventure collected with all the amazing talent in this book. And the sheer prospect of it becoming a print candidate...I can barely contain myself. :D

OK, let's see if I can come up with a decent enough blurb. *AHEM*
"Farin was once a renowned priest with delusions of grandeur who got struck down for his hubris. His temple, now dubbed Farin's Folly, still stands. Rumor has it something still inhabits Farin's Folly, living or otherwise. It's up to a brave set of adventurers to find out if this ghost story is real."
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yes, I can integrate those updated paragraphs, as well as add the new blurbs.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Chi!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok I've made the first editing pass, and put r2 back into Projects. I think I got all the updated paragraphs and blurbs.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

And now I'm working my way through it. I've replaced the new monster statblocks with the standard table format from the Field Guide, done a little layout-hammering, and added Al Cook's Black Pudding artwork in one place to help with the flow. I want to go through Culwich and add the room titles back in, which I expect I'll get done tonight, and I'll post the new R2 then.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just noticed that room 5 of Culwich has a reference to a message on the wall, but the message itself is missing. Did you have a plan for this?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

CS2 The Dark Temple, Release 2 -- October 25, 2019
This new release has received an editing pass by James Lemon and additional layout work by Chris Gonnerman.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#cs2
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I need to complete that (along with a few other small things); can do with my next editing pass, which will be a deeper read-through.