CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Temple CONTEST ENTRY THREAD

Post by Solomoriah »

sean8223 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:35 am Question about the connectivity between the levels. Where do the stairs in areas 6 and 22 and on the middle level connect? Or is this left to the authors to decide?
Notice that stair symbols on the map have a "narrow" and a "wide" end. The "wide" end is the high side, the "narrow" is the low side. The stairs in area 6 are thus descending; on the middle level map, the stairs nearest to area 15 ascend, so they are the same stairs as on the upper level. The other stairs, nearest to area 17, descend away from the middle level, so they are the same stairs as on the lower level connecting to 22.

All three maps are in the same orientation, which should help.
Traveller wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 am Are rooms 16-16a-21 also connected with a drop similar to 18-17?
Otherwise something with the elevations does not make sense to me...
Yes, as I explained to Cryanhall above (his question #2). I've updated the Entry to include a brief blurb about this situation, but if you started with the original entry, you don't need to switch to the new one, just read my answer to him.

From second the level entrance (stairs on bottom right) =>
Down 3 flights of stairs; Door to room 15; down 3 more stairs reach door to room 16
*** Then go down 3 more stair flights to "long corridor on Left" ***

Traveller wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 amRooms 16-21-20-19-18 on same level
BUT
Long corridor passes secret door - that has long horizontal corridor that reaches room 19.

Either long corridor or horizontal corridor need a slope for all to meet.
No, 16 and 21 are not on the same "level" in terms of altitude. 18-21 are at the same level, 90 feet down from ground level. 15 is 30 feet down, 16 is 60 feet down, so there's a 30 foot drop from 16 to 21. 17 is 150 feet down from ground level, or 60 feet down from 18-21, and that drop is explained in the text blurb (though now I think I made an error, the 5' pit should be 40' down to a 10' cubical room, not 50' as I stated before; the total drop into that 10' room is 50').

I'm uploading a new entry that fixes the drop error from 18 to 21.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I'll make sure my calculations are correct.

May I suggest having one of our great artist do an isometric map of level two? This map seems like it would be more understandable in an isometric view.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If such a map appears, I'll surely use it.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I should have time this weekend to begin working on my entry.

For those new (and those needing a reminder), we have a number of resources to help you out. The entry doc on the first post supersedes the default adventure template; we also have a style guide and a dedicated tools page. On that latter page I tend to use the dungeon room generator (uses monsters from Core, so manually plug in Field Guide 1 & 2 if you want), as well as the HP checkbox generator. Finally, we have the Monster Index to help you find creatures to put in your creations.

As we've mentioned before, don't worry! We'll gladly help with anything you need, from adventure ideas, to monster/trap/treasure placement, and working on the layout/design/ODT itself. We're just a help request away...
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

chiisu81 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm For those new (and those needing a reminder), we have a number of resources to help you out. The entry doc on the first post supersedes the default adventure template; we also have a style guide and a dedicated tools page. On that latter page I tend to use the dungeon room generator (uses monsters from Core, so manually plug in Field Guide 1 & 2 if you want), as well as the HP checkbox generator. Finally, we have the Monster Index to help you find creatures to put in your creations.

As we've mentioned before, don't worry! We'll gladly help with anything you need, from adventure ideas, to monster/trap/treasure placement, and working on the layout/design/ODT itself. We're just a help request away...
Thanks, chii. The resources have proven quite useful.

I think I have finished my first draft at an adventure entry. It's been many a year since I've actually written one more or less from scratch, so if people would be so kind as to look this over and point out where I have flubbed up with style, format, and of course the level balance, etc. etc. Basically, all commentaries welcome and appreciated.
Farin's-Folly-r1.odt
First very rough draft
(259.84 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, that's two entries, so the primary deadline is in force. All submissions must be in by 6:00PM CDT on October 4th. Looking forward to seeing them all!
pytheas

Post by pytheas »

I had a go at modelling the middle level in SketchUp. It is difficult to get a good perspective that doesn't hide more than it reveals but it still might be helpful to some of you.

Edit: in case it isn't clear, Rooms 17 and 18 are in the foreground.
Attachments
Dark Temple.png
Dark Temple.png (100.51 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 am Well, that's two entries, so the primary deadline is in force. All submissions must be in by 6:00PM CDT on October 4th. Looking forward to seeing them all!
Looking forward to seeing them, too. Goodness knows nobody can do any worse than mine, so let's see what ideas you've all got!
pytheas wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 am I had a go at modelling the middle level in SketchUp. It is difficult to get a good perspective that doesn't hide more than it reveals but it still might be helpful to some of you.

This looks incredible, pytheas. I hope it helps clear up an confusion people might be having.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
teaman

Post by teaman »

pytheas wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 am I had a go at modelling the middle level in SketchUp. It is difficult to get a good perspective that doesn't hide more than it reveals but it still might be helpful to some of you.

This is incredible work. What a resource! Thanks so much for posting it and I'm sure a number of folks will find it useful.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Pytheas, that iso map is really helpful... it cleared up a misunderstanding I was still having about the connection between areas 17 and 18. Thanks!

Man, those Sea God temple architects were devious fellows...