Campaign Generator

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
beardedinlair

Campaign Generator

Post by beardedinlair »

I am working on a map generator that creates retro style hexes, with each hex listing what and who is in it. I've got the visual of it complete, it makes a map. I'm going to use BFRPG to set down lairs and things, with page number references. I'm making it to be a solo tool, with each hex created as you explore, or you can make the entire map at once. For the solo part, I'm going to create virtual PC's, so the player is actually the DM adjudicating the players queries. For the VPC(virtual player character), I'm going to use a yes/no oracle type system with interrupt questions based on word clouds made from player input texts. Simply put, the gamer loads txts into each a.i. based on their class or race or anything, and the a.i. uses that as a "brain" to ask if they can do things. For example, you could load in BFRPG, Gnomes, and Combat Options. When you click on a hex, that VPC might ask the question, "Can I sneak riders?" The gamer would then try and interpret what the words mean (just like with real players) and how it would affect the scene. There will be an option for each user to upload whatever txt file they want, but is there anyone willing to let me set their supplements as presets? I plan on releasing all of this as "creative commons license share alike", and the dream is to someday set up a patreon or kickstarter to add things to it and be able to continue working on it. For example, setting up the VPC to be an NPC that can read different kinds of input like roll20 or discord. You're playing and the mostly forgotten NPC pipes in with something. Or set up the a.i. to have a "learning" memory based on positive response from the DM, etc.
Attachments
Here's an example of the map generation at work.
Here's an example of the map generation at work.
map.gif (195.83 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Campaign Generator

Post by Solomoriah »

I am looking forward to seeing how this develops...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
beardedinlair

Post by beardedinlair »

I've been working on the NPC part with playtesting and it is nearly finished. I'll get back to the mapmaking next.
GMsShadow

Post by GMsShadow »

Let us know when you're ready for a beta test as I'm keen to give it a go.
beardedinlair

Post by beardedinlair »

I'm doing the third playtest with the virtual pc this thursday, if all goes well, I can do a release next weekend for that part without the map generator. It is a female gnome fighter named Gladis. Her brain is full of BFRPG, the combat supplement, the gnome supplement, and the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'll probably have to let that last part go before I release her into the world. Any suggestions for public domain fantasy she can read? I originally had her brain made from Dicken's David Copperfield, but it didn't quite fit.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

For something public release I'd look to Project Gutenberg first.
https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Fantasy_(Bookshelf)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think, if you look, you can find older works by the people who inspired Tolkein that will be out of copyright. Gutenberg is, in fact, a good place to look. They have works by Lord Dunsany, Clark Ashton Smith, and George Macdonald, for example.
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

I found some of Howard's Conan stories on Gutenberg, and a couple of pieces by Wade Wellman.
beardedinlair

Post by beardedinlair »

Does that mean if it is on Gutenberg it is for sure public domain? I've heard some iffy stuff about Conan over the years. Last Thursday's game got cancelled, I plan on doing the third playtest this Thursday.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If it's on the US Gutenberg, copyright here has expired. I got some stories from the Australian site that are out there but not here; best be careful.