Are critical hits too powerful?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
chiisu81

Re: Are critical hits too powerful?

Post by chiisu81 »

In an OSR RPG any hit is critical :)
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

HAha yeah I found monks to be my pet peeve.In a world of armor and steel we have a guy punching instead. :lol: I did find somewhere that said if you punch a character in a metal armor you take damage instead and it made me smile!
chiisu81 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm In an OSR RPG any hit is critical :)
New school RPG's I build my characters around damage and constitution is always where I place points as afterthought.Newest fighter in BF rolled with STR 9,INT 9,WIS 10 but with DEX 17 CON 16 and CHA at 13 and I feel elated!Fighter proficiency point into shield and while he may not hit hard or be a great tactician his defense is great! :mrgreen:
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Incidentally, the Monk class I came up with was the only one capable of punching and kicking armor without taking damage. Overall they weren't quite as effective as a regular fighter (by design). But they didn't wear armor, don't need weapons (and thus can't be disarmed), and I let them combo their attacks (to make up for the lack of magic weapons).
teaman

Post by teaman »

We used to call the monk in my game "The Blender." He just tore through opponents in a round or two and that was that.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

I play rpg's solo so I just never included them :lol: I see it as to each their own and I know from reading many posts online that the monk is a very loved class.

BTW....didnt wanna start a new thread for a simple question so Ill post here.I defeated some bandits who were on horse back but when I tried to find the overland speed while on horse back its nowhere that my eyes can see.

Also,say I wanna sell some items I find to a merchant.What is the percentage that they buy for?Or this this just a homebrew thing where I can choose an amount myself?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Overland movement rates are in the Adventure section of the Core Rules.

There's no standard for what you can sell items for, but generally GMs I know will have merchants offer no more than 1/2 the sale price of an item when they buy it used.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

Perfect,thanks.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

wolfstriked wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 amAlso,say I wanna sell some items I find to a merchant.What is the percentage that they buy for?Or this this just a homebrew thing where I can choose an amount myself?
Selling things is mostly a case by case situation, with the cost based on if the item is rare, ancient, in good shape, etc.
The purchaser is another matter...

The 1/2 price rules is a fast and common one, you can, if you wish to make item commercialization a big part of the game, use more rules like item quality
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

Yeah I like the 1/2 rule and coming from Skyrim its really nice. In Skyrim you can buy a sword for like 500gp and sell it back for 10gp. :lol: its understandable as combat encounters are at ridiculous levels in games like that.

EDIT btw I am enjoying watching this youtube site that plays basic fantasy and just posting it here if nobody has seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPyFZI ... jhQ/videos