A Comment on the "Companion"/Advanced Question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mr Dark

Re: A Comment on the "Companion"/Advanced Question

Post by Mr Dark »

I agree with Sol on the fact that BFRPG doesn't need a 'Companion' as we can build one ourselves between the online supplements, what we also have laying around and imaginative fitting of the pieces together. I am actually using BFRPG as the BE part of a BECMI conversion to form the baseline which really; only the core is needed.

Also if I understand the licenses correctly we are free to build unofficial companions all we want. Sword and Board and Sol's Glain companion provide good models for that.

That all said I have a request and a question:

The request would be that the source or office files be provided with everything so we can do our own work without sketchy copy pasting from the pdfs. Opening them straight into Libre would be great for all of them.

The question is, wasn't there a supplement called the Adventurer's Almanac a few years back and if so, what happened to it?
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Except for covers and some of the forms, source is provided for everything on the Downloads page. I'm not going to mandate source on the Showcase, but only say that it's the "right thing to do."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mr Dark

Post by Mr Dark »

I'll be dipped. I don't know what I was looking at. :oops:
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
daryen

Download Compendium

Post by daryen »

Solo,

I know you don't want to do a Companion or Advanced or whatever rulebook because then you would have to pick and choose what to include and it would imply approval (or not) that you don't intend.

However, I have been picking up printed versions of some of the files, and it would be great if there could be some kind of printed Compendium. Basically, it would include ALL of the Class, Race, and Rules files from the Downloads page. It would just include all of them straight up; no decisions to make. As far as endorsements, these files already have your endorsement by being on the Downloads page at all. I am also not asking for anything special about them; just a compilation of all of them together in one document so that I can have them in a single book that I can buy printed.

Probably isn't feasible, but after getting other printed items, it'd be great to have that in print, too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Download Compendium

Post by Solomoriah »

The simple act of compiling them in print gives them the aura of approval and "officialness," I'm afraid. I've seen it before.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Solo,

Obviously, I can combined one myself. But, once I do that, can I put it on the Showcase? Can I have it printed? Can I offer it to others to let them print it? I just want to make sure I fully play by your rules.

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

House rules documents are welcome on the Showcase; however, you need to integrate them together (like I did with the Glain Supplement) rather than just pasting them one after another.

If you want to get some printed for personal use, that's always OK. However, you may not distribute them in print unless you comply with the Product Identity license from the back of the Core Rules, and also remove any artwork, or arrange a separate licenses with the artist(s) allowing you to use it.
daryen

Post by daryen »

This will be compiled. (I was going to say properly compiled, but that's probably presumptuous.) It will be a single document with a flow to it. Basically just races, then classes, then spells. It will only use stuff from the Downloads page. I can strip pictures easily enough if required.

I will make a post in Workshop with the file before doing anything else with it to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. It'll take a couple weeks to get to that point, however.
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

Well personally I really like the way the additional features can be added to the game,
You can have a read through what is on the downloads page of the website and just pick and choose what you like and add it to your game.
This is exactly what I did I've added quite a bit of stuff but I haven't included assassin's or the extra races or monsters as characters, not that I think they are bad or unbalanced in anyway I just dont want them in my game now as Chris has said if he made a companion style book with all the extra material DM's might feel pressured to have it in there game and I for one dont like that .
So I say keep it as it is Chris your doing a fine job .