Basic Fantasy Player's App

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Elouin

Re: Basic Fantasy Player's App

Post by Elouin »

Nice. Just thought about trying to make an BF App myself, but it seems like there is no need to. I installed the app, but it keeps crashing, but I'm excited to see where this is heading. Nice Work so far. Is there a reason why you used so many activities and only one Fragment(i am still a bit confused on when to use what).

Is Multi Classing a thing in BF?
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

where exactly is it crashing?

the app uses activities simply because it is a student project and that is what they knew. fragments came later in the semester. so, once it works, subsequent students will re-tool it. it is for that reason that the data is all singletons. not very efficient, but understandable for newbies.

also, not all the activities are actually being used. they are being kept for now, though.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Note, BFRPG does not really use Multi-Class systems. A combo-class is essentially similar, but is more like a unique class that "combines the basic parts of each class (for the combined xp values)." It is meant to emulate the way the old school basic game version of "elf", "dwarf", or "halfling" racial classes. Sort of a happy medium between those that like such 'racial classes' and those that prefer the more advanced (if you know what I mean) multi-class systems.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

after looking over the suggestions in the multiclass thread, I decided to just make the "multiclass" options as single classes, RAW. For app purposes, I just calculated the experience and made separate progression arrays for them, rather than try to combine them programmatically. so, the app won't be as easy for the "split the xp" crowd, but less headache for us.

the eternal seesaw of development...

easier for the user means harder for the developer and vice versa.

EDIT:
I fixed the bug in the character chooser. I didn't realize the radio button ID's were randomly generated numbers. :oops:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Well! I was planning to upload a newer version of the app this weekend, and instead I seem to have obliterated the entire repository! (rassafrassin' windows emulator!) fortunately, the source code is still present at school on the local machine. SO, thanks for the feedback so far, and sorry there isn't anything new. Since this weekend is shot for the App, I'll do some work on my deities supplement instead!
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

HEY!

There's new stuff in the app! there are a couple pregen characters available to try out. changes made to characters SHOULD persist during run-time, but nothing is yet being saved back to storage so your changes will be reset when you restart. The next step will be specialized screens based on character class. Let me know what breaks!

here is a link to the github repo, in case you don't want to go back to the beginning of the thread.

https://github.com/ThorinSchmidt/BasicFantasy

the .apk file can be found in the "TestAPK" folder.