The Russian Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dorei

Re: The Russian Translation

Post by Dorei »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 pm Not sure what you're asking here. Century Schoolbook isn't one of the standard fonts, but I know that working with Cyrillic you'll probably have to change fonts anyway.
According to local standards ´Škol´naja garnitura´ (i. e. Century Schoolbook) is the the font strongly recommended for the books for the primary school children (7 -- 10 years old). The standard is pretty archaic and not changed after the late ´70 through. The real using of the fonts is more or less different.

Thanks for the answers.
Solomoriah wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 pm 'Gale' in English refers to a very powerful wind; I can't tell you how it relates to the Beaufort scale, as I'm not an expert in meteorology. The wilderness movement rates are abstracted from other OGL sources, i.e. not fully original work on my part.
The main problem is that in Russian there are two different terms for the English ´gale´: it is or ´krepkij veter´ (18 -- 25 ft, strong, but not catastrophic) or ´štorm´ (more 23 ft, a real tempest). If I have understood the context of the table correctly, the second word must be used.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds right.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

While it's fine to keep your own working copy in Dropbox or Google Drive, since Solo has given you Showcase Access you need to put a copy up there as well. After logging into the forums, open a new tab and go to https://basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi. Then you should be able to click "New Product" at the top, where you can upload both the PDF as well as the actual text file you're working on (whether it's ODT, DOCX, etc.). We really need a copy on Showcase, because almost always Dropbox/Google Drive/etc. links tend to fail eventually.
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

I beg your pardon for the traditional long absence (some rush tasks periods, some other projects, some laziness, etc.). I´ve uploaded the working materials at the Showcase, and I hope I shall finish the translation of ´The Adventure´ chapter in a short enough time, and maybe continue the cooperation with my QCer.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=161

BTW there is a problem with the Cyrillic letters at the Showcase page.

АБВГ

Upd. But not at the board.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I added the Showcase link to your post.
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

The file is upgraded. The main text of Part 4: Adventure translation has been accoplished now.
Also new parts of the Part 5: The Encounter has been translated and some very small parts of Part 8: Game Master Information too.
Part 2 is now on QCing.
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

A small help with the make-up of the translation is necessary.

The Russian text with the same content is a bit (some rows) longer than the English one, because the most of words are a bit longer. Because of that the Equipment and Weapon tables must be made into page another way. But I cannot even understand how to deal with the columns system in the document.

UPD: It seems the make-up must be completely destroyed for the part Equipment nad maybe some nearby parts and then must be recreated. But I do not understand how it can be deleted. Maybe I am stupid. GHHGH!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not stupid. This stuff is hard.

Get the material in the correct order, and don't worry if the columnar layout comes out badly. I'll deal with that after the translation is done.

If you can't make sense of a section in columnar format, use the Sections dialog and remove the problem section. The content will remain, but the columns will go away. I'll re-section it in the layout process.
Dorei

Post by Dorei »

Thanks. I have deleted the layout in the problem part temporarily for the better placing.

What is the difference between the types of axes (the hand axe, the battle axe, and the great axe)?

Also what is the difference between the terrain types (especially between Clear and Plains)?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dorei wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pmThanks. I have deleted the layout in the problem part temporarily for the better placing.

What is the difference between the types of axes (the hand axe, the battle axe, and the great axe)?
Hand axe is a small one-handed axe, also called a hatchet in English. The battle axe is a larger, heaver axe, still light enough for a human fighter to handle in one hand. The great axe is quite large and heavy, but with a haft (handle) shorter than a halberd; human-sized characters need both hands to properly wield this weapon.
Dorei wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pmAlso what is the difference between the terrain types (especially between Clear and Plains)?
Functionally speaking, nothing. These words are not synonymous in general, but in this context they refer to the same thing. Using both words is meant to reduce confusion. If you don't need to do that in Russian, don't... just use whatever word best describes more-or-less flat ground with little or no foliage more substantial than grass. The only advantage of a trail is that it is harder to get lost.

Jungle refers to dense rain forest which is hard to move through; Forest is less dense. Not sure what else you might need defined... if you need more, please ask specific questions, and I'll give specific answers.