Weapon mastery and styles

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Gunthar

Weapon mastery and styles

Post by Gunthar »

Playing a plain fighter seems not very interesting if there are other fighter subclasses with more options available. Now there is a solution: Weapon Mastery and Fighting Styles.
I do keep it simple.
Every pure fighter gains 5 weapon proficiency points at level 1 and 1 point every second level after the first one.
The points can be spent on weapon mastery or style levels at 1 point per level.
A mastery and a style can be used at the same time and are cumulative.

Weapon Mastery (The levels are not cumulative)
Level 1 is proficient
Level 2 is Basic and gives +1 to attack and +2 to damage.
Level 3 is Skilled and gives +3 to attack and +3 to damage and one additional attack every second round.
Level 4 is Mastery and gives +3 to attack and +5 to damage and one additional attack every second round. Can be learned at character level 5 or later.
Level 5 is Grand Mastery and gives +4 to attack and +6 to damage and one additional attack every round. Can be learned at character level 9 or later.

Styles:
Styles have only 2 levels. The levels are not cumulative.

Weapon and Shield: If using a weapon and a shield at the same time.
Level 1: gives +1 AC in addition to the shield AC bonus
Level 2: gives +2 AC in addition to the shield AC bonus

Two-handed style: If using a two-handed weapon
Level 1: The damage dice of the weapon is increased by one step. And the damage is increased by +1.
Level 2: +1 to attack, The damage dice of the weapon is increased by one step. And the damage is increased by +2.

Two-weapon style: If someone is fighting with two weapons at the same time.
There seems no rule for two weapons fighting in the base rules.
Unlearned: -4 to attack with the primary weapon and -8 to attack with the secondary weapon
Level 1: -3 to attack with the primary weapon and -6 to attack with the secondary weapon
Level 2: -2 to attack with the primary weapon and -4 to attack with the secondary weapon
If Ambidexterity is available, then the penalty with the secondary weapon is lowered to be the same as with the primary weapon.

An example: A fighter level 5 have 7 weapon proficiency points and he is allowed to learn up to mastery level. He can now learn longswords to level 4 and weapon and shield style to level 2.
That gives him +3 to attack and +5 to damage with the longsword and one additional attack every second round. And his style gives him additional +2 AC while fighting with a shield. He will still have a proficiency point left.

Would be a nice addition to the basic fighter.
Dimirag

Re: Weapon mastery and styles

Post by Dimirag »

You can check the combat options supplements
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Gunthar

Post by Gunthar »

Should I repost my ideas in the other thread? Because I find the weapon specialization in that thread a bit weak.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I wouldn't be a bad idea to post your opinions about weapon specialization there
Gunthar

Re: Combat Options Supplement

Post by Gunthar »

A request was brought to me to post my weapon mastery idea into this thread. I find the weapon specialization in the combat options a bit weak.

Playing a plain fighter seems not very interesting if there are other fighter subclasses with more options available. Now there is a solution: Weapon Mastery and Fighting Styles.
I do keep it simple.
Every pure fighter gains 5 weapon proficiency points at level 1 and 1 point every second level after the first one.
The points can be spent on weapon mastery or style levels at 1 point per level.
A mastery and a style can be used at the same time and are cumulative.

Weapon Mastery (The levels are not cumulative)
Level 1 is proficient
Level 2 is Basic and gives +1 to attack and +2 to damage.
Level 3 is Skilled and gives +3 to attack and +3 to damage and one additional attack every second round.
Level 4 is Mastery and gives +3 to attack and +5 to damage and one additional attack every second round. Can be learned at fighter level 5 or later.
Level 5 is Grand Mastery and gives +4 to attack and +6 to damage and one additional attack every round. Can be learned at fighter level 9 or later.

Styles:
Styles have only 2 levels. The levels are not cumulative.

Weapon and Shield: If using a weapon and a shield at the same time.
Level 1: gives +1 AC in addition to the shield AC bonus
Level 2: gives +2 AC in addition to the shield AC bonus

Two-handed style: If using a two-handed weapon
Level 1: The damage dice of the weapon is increased by one step. And the damage is increased by +1.
Level 2: +1 to attack, The damage dice of the weapon is increased by one step. And the damage is increased by +2.

Two-weapon style: If someone is fighting with two weapons at the same time.
There seems no rule for two weapons fighting in the base rules.
Unlearned: -4 to attack with the primary weapon and -8 to attack with the secondary weapon
Level 1: -3 to attack with the primary weapon and -6 to attack with the secondary weapon
Level 2: -2 to attack with the primary weapon and -4 to attack with the secondary weapon
If Ambidexterity is available, then the penalty with the secondary weapon is lowered to be the same as with the primary weapon.

An example: A fighter level 5 have 7 weapon proficiency points and he is allowed to learn up to mastery level. He can now learn longswords to level 4 and weapon and shield style to level 2.
That gives him +3 to attack and +5 to damage with the longsword and one additional attack every second round. And his style gives him additional +2 AC while fighting with a shield. He will still have a proficiency point left.

Would be a nice addition to the basic fighter.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Level 1 means proficiency. So, not putting points in a weapons has any drawbacks?
If so, fighters have to learn each weapon individually while non-fighters are proficient with all their weapons?
Gunthar

Post by Gunthar »

AFAIK does every class have to learn their weapons with points. If they are automatic learnt then the fighter will have also automatic proficiency with all weapons. But in that case the proficiency points needs to be lowered a bit.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Basic Fantasy does not use weapon proficiency points and you are not giving the amount of points non-fighters and non-pure fighters receive at first level, hence my question.
Gunthar

Post by Gunthar »

With this combat option
Pure fighters will get 4 points at L1 and 1 point every second level after the first.
Other fighter subclasses will get 3 points at L1 and 1 point every third level after the first.
Clerics and thieves will get 2 points at L1 and 1 point every fourth level after the first.
Magic users will get 1 point at L1 and 1 point every fifth level after the first.

Only pure fighters can learn weapon masteries above mastery level 1.

I see that I should relevel the masteries to fit more to the styles.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Moved post from Combat Options to this thread.