Magic Casting Question

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
NewbieSalmon

Magic Casting Question

Post by NewbieSalmon »

Hello! I've just finished reading Iron Falcon, and there's a pair words that confused me. At page 2, specifically below the INT table, a rule differentiated "Know" and "Learn. My best guess is "Knowing" a spell means you just have it stored, not memorized, while "Learning" one means you're memorizing it, thus making it eligible for casting.

But a clarification would be appreciated, thank you.

PS: On a different note, the official Referee Screen is missing the sword from its weapons chart and I can't find the "Ability Roll" rule referenced in the first adventure module (Iron Falcon Adventures One Release 12).
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
chiisu81

Re: Magic Casting Question

Post by chiisu81 »

Well to me "know" and "learn" are basically the same, and it's (also) basically the spells you have written in your spell book, and therefor on the character sheet. Instead of "learn" in your usage I prefer "prepare".

I don't see anything about ability rolls either; I'd presume it would be in the "Adventuring" section.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The ability roll mentioned in that adventure is a leftover from conversion from Basic Fantasy format; for Iron Falcon, a roll of 1d20 equal to or less than the relevant ability score would be appropriate.

I actually didn't do the screen, and will have to take a look and see if I can get it fixed.

And as to "learn" and "know"... as Chi says, they are much the same thing. Iron Falcon says "memorize" where Basic Fantasy uses "prepare" to refer to the act or condition of having a spell ready to use.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Chris-C

Post by Chris-C »

On the referee's screen, there actually is a line for the sword, with the damage vs. man and vs. large, it's just that the word "sword" is missing from that row (the row between "spear, thrust vs. charge" and "two-handed sword"). Don't know if that helps at all.

P.S. (Edit) -- I just opened my own copy with a pdf editor and added the word "sword" to the table. It's pretty easy to do. I'm relatively new here so I don't know if there's an appropriate place/manner to share that, but I'm happy to do so if there's a proper place for it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Upload it here if you'd like, and I'll check it over and then upload it to the site. And thanks!
Chris-C

Post by Chris-C »

Here it is. I simply added the word "sword;" no other changes.
IF-Screen-r1-Sword Added.pdf
(254.84 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've posted the new version on the main page. Thanks!
Chris-C

Post by Chris-C »

My pleasure! I love the game, so I'm happy to contribute in some small way.