Anyone help out a newbie?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Stufles

Anyone help out a newbie?

Post by Stufles »

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and to ttrpg in general. I had to look up the answer to the security question when making my account (I thought 'Basic Fantasy' would be good to start off with). Hope that gives you a good idea about my knowledge :D . Therefore, I'm having some problems with filling out my first character sheet. There are a few things I don't quite understand how to fill in. I'm having trouble with my abilities, attack bonus, and saving throws. I'd hazard a guess at the last two just being die rolls, but what should I put down for abilities?

Thanks!
Gilliadson

Re: Anyone help out a newbie?

Post by Gilliadson »

If you downloaded the core rules you can look up attack bonus in the index that will take you to the page where the table for it is. as far as abilities those would be mentioned under your character's race and class listings in the same book. Saving throw tables can also be found from the index under Saving Throws. Sorry I don't have my book in hand to get you the page numbers but they are readily found in the index in the back of the book. If you haven't gotten the book downloaded then head to the downloads page here and get it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Your abilities are rolled each on 3d6, roll 3 six sided dice and add the values, make sure that your abilities are above the minimum value for your race and class

Your attack bonus is a function of class and level and its found on the attack bonus table on page 46, same for your saving throws, which are on their own table on page 53
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome to the forums, the game, and RPGs in general!

Aside from the core rulebook, you may want to start with the Beginners Essentials.

If you'd like a more general introduction to RPGs, BFRPG's Chris Gonnerman wrote The RPG Primer (paperback | PDF).
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Stufles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm I'm having trouble with my abilities, attack bonus, and saving throws. I'd hazard a guess at the last two just being die rolls, but what should I put down for abilities?
The short answers:
Abilities are for clerics and thieves. Each has a table detailing them. You don't have to copy them over, but it's good to have them available for reference.
There's a table for attack bonus, and you just copy it from there. It depends on your level and class.
Saving throws are also out of a table; the table determines the base saving throws for your character, which may be modified by which race they are. They're meant to represent how resilient your character is against certain dangers. For example, a human fighter is going to be "weak" against spells, but an Elf magic user is going to be "strong" against them.

The long answer: give the rules a solid read through. It's all in there. Once you get a feel for how the mechanics of the game work, it'll start making a lot more sense.