Regarding Monster Abilities and Attacks.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
PureSparta

Regarding Monster Abilities and Attacks.

Post by PureSparta »

Hello.
While reading through the monster rules i've noticed some monsters have special abilities indicated in their attack routine as "+special". I'm not sure how that works.
Considering the monster uses it full attack routines during their rounds, do their "special abilities" also activate in the same fashion?

Like, the Harpy i.e. Her attack reads "2 claws/1 weapon + special". That means that every attack she does she casts her special ability, or i choose between her attack routine OR the special ability as her attack action for the turn?

Thanks in advance!
Clever_Munkey

Re: Regarding Monster Abilities and Attacks.

Post by Clever_Munkey »

PureSparta wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 pm Like, the Harpy i.e. Her attack reads "2 claws/1 weapon + special". That means that every attack she does she casts her special ability, or i choose between her attack routine OR the special ability as her attack action for the turn?

Thanks in advance!
A harpy is able to sing while she attacks. The charm only lasts for as long as she sings plus one round, and charmed creatures offer no resistance to their attacks.

On the other hand there is the vampire with "1 weapon or special" which refers to all its other abilities, except maybe its own charm which is caused simply by meeting its gaze.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Depends on the creature in question. Some "specials" are alternative attacks, while other might work continuously, and then others that trigger under certain circumstances.

For instance, some humanoid monsters might have actual spells cast by a shaman (alternate attacks); a Troglodyte "stench" is continuous while within range (essentially continuous); and then a Succubus drains while kissing (a special circumstance).

Each monster creator can detail out how these "specials" work in the monster description.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
PureSparta

Post by PureSparta »

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed that harpy seems kinda OP for a group of 1st level characters, but then again, that's the reason we like retro-clones i guess. Simple rules, deadly combat.

The special ability thing makes sense for me now. Much appreciated.
teaman

Post by teaman »

PureSparta wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:37 am Thanks for the clarification. Indeed that harpy seems kinda OP for a group of 1st level characters, but then again, that's the reason we like retro-clones i guess. Simple rules, deadly combat.

The special ability thing makes sense for me now. Much appreciated.
And though you may already do this, don't forget to check for monster morale. Sometimes they run away before a TPK happens.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"+ special" usually means "in addition to normal attacks."

"or special" usually means "instead of normal attacks."

Hope this helps.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org