Movement Rates clarifications

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CptMuffinCubes

Movement Rates clarifications

Post by CptMuffinCubes »

I am looking for some clarifications on movement rates.

A Combat Round is 10 seconds long. How far can a PC or monster move during a combat round? Is this the number referenced on bestiary references? For PCs I am right now under the impression this is 40' (depending on encumbrance), but I'm not sure what page to reference that. If that is correct, a character can move 4 squares on a dungeon map, if we're looking at the 10'/square scale of something like BF1's Olde Island Fortress, right?
"The movement rate of a character or creature is expressed as the number of feet it can move per combat round. (PG 36)" I am having trouble finding out where the movement rate is "expressed". In the monster manual, I assume this is the movement rates listed in their stat blocks. But what is the movement rate for PCs?'

Running - (PG 44) - This paragraph uses some confusing terminology such as "normal encounter movement rate" and "normal encounter rate". Those two terms I quoted aren't used anywhere else in the book. Am I to assume that we are talking about doubling the distance of movement that a character can run in a 10 second combat round? So 40'x2?

A Turn in game is 10 minutes long. If this is 3x the movement rate, would this be 120' (40'x3) over ten minutes? What mechanics actually stop this movement? The passage below seems to imply that looking for traps as you go does not stop progression, but searching for secret doors would be a 1 turn stop at least, right?
"This may seem slow, but this rate of movement includes such things as drawing maps, watching out for traps and monsters (though they may still surprise the party), etc. In a combat situation, on the other and, everyone is moving around swiftly, and such things as drawing maps are not important. (PG 36)"

Wandering Monsters and Movement Rate - If a party is progressing in a dungeon at the normal rate used for 1 turn, 120' or "3 squares", is it a good rule of thumb to roll a random monster encounter every "9 squares" of movement? That is roughly my interpretation of rules as written. Of course, things will stop movement in the course of a dungeon but in a sterile, hypothetical example, is rolling a d6 for every 9 squares of continuous movement a good rule of thumb?
"In an average dungeon, a wandering monster encounter will occur on a roll of 1 on 1d6; the Game Master should check once every 3 turns. The circumstances of a specific dungeon may call for higher odds or more frequent (or possibly less frequent) wandering monster checks. (PG 144)"

As a referee, I will probably fudge and abstract movement and progression through the dungeon and during combat most of the time, simply because I am not interested in a high level of simulation. We won't be using miniatures or grid-based combat because I want to rely on each other's imaginations and descriptive table talk. But as a game, I want to have a firm grasp of the rules as written and I've found the movement rates to be a bit confusing.
Clever_Munkey

Re: Movement Rates clarifications

Post by Clever_Munkey »

It seems like you're correct, but maybe overthinking a little. The standard movement rate is expressed in feet per round (40' unencumbered). If they are running, then it is 80' per round. This would give 120' per 10 minute turn while exploring. The scale of the squares depends on the map, but for most BFRPG maps they are 10' x 10'. This would mean a random check every 36 squares. But remember that there will usually be someone in armor slowing everyone down. Theoretically there is nothing stopping them from moving faster than only 3x their encounter rate, but you should remember 1) it's dark, (try running in a forest at night with only a flashlight. It's uncomfortable) 2) it's unknown (they should not be able to map, and could get lost.) 3) it's dangerous (if there are no hostile traps or creatures, then why hasn't it been looted already?)
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Let's break this down into individual pieces in an effort to focus on each question.
CptMuffinCubes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am I am looking for some clarifications on movement rates.

A Combat Round is 10 seconds long. How far can a PC or monster move during a combat round? Is this the number referenced on bestiary references? For PCs I am right now under the impression this is 40' (depending on encumbrance), but I'm not sure what page to reference that. If that is correct, a character can move 4 squares on a dungeon map, if we're looking at the 10'/square scale of something like BF1's Olde Island Fortress, right?
"The movement rate of a character or creature is expressed as the number of feet it can move per combat round. (PG 36)" I am having trouble finding out where the movement rate is "expressed". In the monster manual, I assume this is the movement rates listed in their stat blocks. But what is the movement rate for PCs?'
The page you are seeking that has the appropriate information such as encumbrance capacity and movement rate is on page 36 (40 on a pdf). Squares or hexes are just scale references and are changeable depending the scale. If you have a PC that moves at 30 feet and your have your squares set at 10 feet then they would move 3 squares per round (10 seconds) but if you have your squares equal 5 feet then they would move 6 squares per round (10 seconds).
CptMuffinCubes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am
Running - (PG 44) - This paragraph uses some confusing terminology such as "normal encounter movement rate" and "normal encounter rate". Those two terms I quoted aren't used anywhere else in the book. Am I to assume that we are talking about doubling the distance of movement that a character can run in a 10 second combat round? So 40'x2?
Normal encounter rate and normal movement rate just implies that nothing magical or special is being used to increase the PC/NPC/Monster's movement rate such as magic spell/magic item/potions/ etc.

Running movement is just that. Their combat encounter movement is doubled as it is implied that they are not searching for traps, mapping, trying to be quiet, and have good clear sight of what is ahead of them. This is usually used in chase situations (chasing or being chased) which is broken down into combat rounds.
CptMuffinCubes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am
A Turn in game is 10 minutes long. If this is 3x the movement rate, would this be 120' (40'x3) over ten minutes? What mechanics actually stop this movement? The passage below seems to imply that looking for traps as you go does not stop progression, but searching for secret doors would be a 1 turn stop at least, right?

"This may seem slow, but this rate of movement includes such things as drawing maps, watching out for traps and monsters (though they may still surprise the party), etc. In a combat situation, on the other and, everyone is moving around swiftly, and such things as drawing maps are not important. (PG 36)"
There are two type of movement usually, combat and non-combat. You are referencing non-combat in this example and this is just them moving down the dungeon hall examining for traps (pit or other types of traps) by probing with a 10 foot pole, the thief examining the walls, floors, and ceilings. Elves get a passive check on spotting secret doors but all others must be actively searching (running their hands over the wall while pressing on the stones, twisting torch holders, etc).
CptMuffinCubes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am Wandering Monsters and Movement Rate - If a party is progressing in a dungeon at the normal rate used for 1 turn, 120' or "3 squares", is it a good rule of thumb to roll a random monster encounter every "9 squares" of movement? That is roughly my interpretation of rules as written. Of course, things will stop movement in the course of a dungeon but in a sterile, hypothetical example, is rolling a d6 for every 9 squares of continuous movement a good rule of thumb?
"In an average dungeon, a wandering monster encounter will occur on a roll of 1 on 1d6; the Game Master should check once every 3 turns. The circumstances of a specific dungeon may call for higher odds or more frequent (or possibly less frequent) wandering monster checks. (PG 144)"
This varies from GM to GM but roughly every 30 minutes (3 turns) of game time spent moving in a dungeon that has monster might have an encounter due to the PCs making noises or just wandering (blundering) into monsters. If the PCs hole up in a secured location (like a room they seal shut) then there will not be an encounter (sometimes some will happen, just depends on the roll).
CptMuffinCubes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am As a referee, I will probably fudge and abstract movement and progression through the dungeon and during combat most of the time, simply because I am not interested in a high level of simulation. We won't be using miniatures or grid-based combat because I want to rely on each other's imaginations and descriptive table talk. But as a game, I want to have a firm grasp of the rules as written and I've found the movement rates to be a bit confusing.
That is perfectly fine as that is your game and you can change, tweak, adjust the rules to suit you and your group. No one in this community will beat down your door but instead they will offer suggestions and tips.

Just a short suggestion, any changes you make, take notes and be consistent with them. Nothing discourages a group faster than when the rules of the game become fluid and change from session to session.
Last edited by Metroknight on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CptMuffinCubes

Post by CptMuffinCubes »

Oops, my math is off...so it is something like this.
BFRPG dungeon square = 10 sq ft
1 Turn of exploration = 120ft or 12 squares on the dungeon map
Wandering Monsters = check every 3 Turns or roughly 36 squares of movement on the dungeon map

This is of course at an unencumbered rate. I'm just looking for a rule of thumb that I can quickly reference since being a GM requires juggling lot of information.
CptMuffinCubes

Post by CptMuffinCubes »

MetroKnight, Clevermonkey, thanks for the detailed responses.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Exploring movement is done in turns, at 3x the encounter speed, as explained above. This accounts for mapping, being cautious, etc. but does not include searching for traps or secret doors. The movement rate is so much slower mainly because, in real life, real humans do a lot of things the game doesn't account for. Goofing off, for example; considering the next move, discussing the situation, and so on.

You absolutely can move through a dungeon at encounter speed, but you can't map that way, elves don't get their in-passing check for secret doors, and so on. In my games, this is sometimes how player characters choose to exit the dungeon when they want to minimize encounter checks.

Running/sprinting (a double encounter move) prevents you from performing an attack. Players rarely choose to move through a dungeon at double-time since I'm likely to rule that the weaker or more overloaded party members become fatigued, suffering some penalty on attacks and saving throws. I'd also double, more or less, the chance of an ambush gaining surprise on characters engaged in double-time movement.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jobend

Post by jobend »

Sorry to bring life to this thread again, but I was looking for information on what actions you may combine during a combat round.
Like move 5feet AND attack or charge 10 feet and attack with penalty. Drink a potion and attack.
To clarify my question; during a combat round, 10 seconds, you must be able to do more than just swing a sword?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A full normal movement plus an attack; or a double move without an attack, UNLESS you are making an attack that can get the charging bonus; or a full move and cast a spell. Thief abilities mostly take too much time to employ, though you can do the sneaky bits while moving.
jobend

Post by jobend »

Great, thanks Chris! :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Movement in combat is explained on page 44 of R107.