Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes. This isn't a Turn, just a turn. The next time the subject attacks.

However, you have found a grammatical inconsistency that I must fix...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

At knock spell it says:
If used to open a wizard locked door, the spell does not remove the wizard lock but simply suspends its functioning for one turn.
Is 'turn' here referring to a Turn or a combat round?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That is a proper turn.

The earlier spell specifically says "ITS next turn" which is meant to indicate the creature's next action. Knock says "one turn" which is meant to indicate the standard unit of time.
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

In Remove Curse spell it says:
Remove curse instantaneously removes all curses on an object or a creature. Remove curse does not remove the curse from a cursed shield, weapon, or suit of armor, although the spell typically enables the creature afflicted with any such cursed item to remove and get rid of it.
should it say `Remove curse does not remove the curse from a cursed shield, weapon, or suit of armor being wield or worn, ...` instead?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, it's correct as is. Remove Curse will not de-curse a cursed item, period. Say you have a cursed sword, and no one is afflicted by it (i.e. unable to get rid of it); a player might wonder if Remove Curse could permanently undo the item's curse. The answer is no, and the current text indicates that; your revision would remove that.

It is possible it might be better written another way, but it is correct as is.
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

I'm not sure to understand it yet. So when it says `Remove curse instantaneously removes all curses on an object or a creature.` and the following sentence refers to weapons and armor as an exception?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Remove Curse is like Dispel Magic, except (a) it's specific to curses, and (b) it can cancel effects that Dispel Magic cannot.

Dispel Magic will remove a spell from a person, object, or area, but it will only suppress a permanent magic item temporarily. Remove Curse works like this, but only on curses. Thus, it can suppress a permanent cursed item (sword, armor, etc.) temporarily, allowing the afflicted to remove and dispose of the item, but it will not permanently un-curse the item... if another poor fool picks up the item and uses it, the curse falls upon this new victim. A curse upon a person, on the other hand, will be removed permanently; say for example, the magic-user who looks at a scroll and suddenly finds himself with a donkey's head. Remove Curse permanently restores the magic-user to his original form.
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

I'm continuing on my translation efforts and just found this at Hellhound description.
If generating a group randomly, roll 1d6+1 for the hit dice of each, reading a total of 2 as 3.
I believe that would be much clear with just say `roll 1d6+2 for the hit dice of each` and remove the `reading...` bits.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, it's correct as is:

1 + 1 = 2, but we're reading it as 3
2 + 1 = 3
3 + 1 = 4
4 + 1 = 5
5 + 1 = 6
6 + 1 = 7

In other words, there's a 2 in 6 chance that any individual will have 3 HD, with the other results each happening 1 in 6.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It took me a minute to understand how it's worded, but then it made sense to me.