Obsidian Portal Wiki Entries

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GMsShadow

Obsidian Portal Wiki Entries

Post by GMsShadow »

Hi all

Slightly random question here, but I was planning on building an Obsidian Portal page for my BFRPG game, but I was hoping to use the wiki to add in pages on classes, spells races etc that are available. Ideally I'd like to make complete entries for some of them where it's an amalgamation of the supplements (So players don't have to reference multiple places). If I do this and reference the source, link to this site and add the OGL, would that be okay, or am I breaching any rules I should know about?

Hope that makes sense?

Barry
SmootRK

Re: Obsidian Portal Wiki Entries

Post by SmootRK »

As long as it is private (as in you and your particular players/group) then it sounds like an appropriate fair-use endeavor.

Making it public or otherwise openly shared may not be an ideal situation. Specifically I would dissuade using any images from core rules due to some copyright constraints.
Solomoriah probably has better advice here.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
GMsShadow

Post by GMsShadow »

It would only ever be text, I wouldn't use images from the books. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Following the OGL, you can indeed paste up text from the core rules and the other items available here, as long as you also have a page/section on your site for the full OGL license.

As Smoot mentioned, any artwork, as well as the Basic Fantasy RPG name, are copyrighted/Product Identity and must have explicit permission from Solo/Chris. As far as referencing the name and having a link back to us, etc. I don't foresee a problem, but again he alone must OK that part.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll permit you to say "Based on Basic Fantasy RPG" on your wiki, but if you are incorporating supplements or adding house rules, that's as far as I can allow you to go.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
GMsShadow

Post by GMsShadow »

Hi Solo

The aim was just to make it easier for players to see the races and classes with the supplement add ons. I'll not be reproducing any of the core mechanics etc and I'll be making it clear where all the bits come from. Just wanted to be mindful of which licenses, accreditation or restrictions I needed to be aware of. I'll be pointing to primary sources in the website quite a lot to promote the rules.

I'll also put a disclaimer that it's based on the core rules but utilises various supplements if that is ideal?

Hope that clarifies it.

Barry
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You're doing fine. Carry on.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org