Space Corps Actor's Guide

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Space Corps Actor's Guide

Post by Solomoriah »

Here is where we'll discuss things specific to the Actor's Guide. I'm putting the current version in the first post; Chi and I will try to keep it updated.
Attachments
Space-Corps-Actors-Guide-r8.pdf
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Space-Corps-Actors-Guide-r8.odt
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
lasombra99

Re: Space Force Actor's Guide

Post by lasombra99 »

One thing I noticed on page 2 in the section About Seventh Realm. Before this section, you made mention that Game Master would henceforth be referred to as Directer. In this section though, Game Master is the term being used. Just something noticed while beginning reading.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Letting that one ride; it's all in the Introduction, after all.

Good eye though.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I may have caught that in my edits for r4, if not can try to remember for any further releases.
johndice

Post by johndice »

Interesting read. I am a bit confused if you are looking for specific feedback on certain subjects of this concept or just feedback in general. Perhaps I missed a step somewhere providing more insight as to what you are looking for.

From what I have read I have some general feedback regarding some choices. While I like the idea of some sort of new episodic play method, in this case a tv show approach, the definition of exactly what you are adding to the game in this regards feels a little lackluster.

Your setup reads like it should be one of the defining features you are adding to an OSR ruleset. Perhaps even something that inspired players could say of 'im going to play game X but Im using the Y method from Space Force'.

For me, this is also what makes the use of director instead of GM and actor instead of player falls a little flat at the moment. If the core concept of your tv show episodic approach would be more defined and integral than these term shifts would also make more sense to me.

I really like the story element so far. I would encourage you to write some short stories from a character perspective in this setting. Maybe to flesh out the setting, and to give me something cool to read :P

Cheerio,

John
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

In actual play, the "TV show" motif was actually pretty fun; the after-party from the first adventure was fun to write, and the players participated in it just as they did in the game itself.

The main thing this "adds" is the idea that you don't have to have a huge, over-arching storyline driving action. Even when you do, "episodes" can be somewhat self-contained. And it's a less serious take on the idea of adventuring; less "Lord of the Rings" where all the action is part of the same "big" story, and more, yeah, Star Trek in the exploration of many different stories.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Important things to remember here:

The actors (players) should not normally know how the world actually works. They've been told that all the technology used by the Space Force was reverse engineered from Martian originals. Actually, about the only thing humans successfully figured out was how to build argon fusion rockets, and our version is bulkier and less efficient than theirs. We don't know how the "blackballs" that are the keystone of wormhole technology work, and we can't make them; the ones in the Scorpius-class ships were salvaged, while the ones in the Nova-class were made in an automated factory that broke down after making just those few. We don't know how to make the core elements of the Vulcan pistol, nor how to make gravity plating (but fortunately, the automated factory constructing them on Mars seems in good condition) nor even how to reproduce the Martian antiradiation fabric.

The situation for Earth is not nearly as rosy as the Solar Alliance would like you to believe, and a lot of the fun of running this game is when the players begin to figure it out. The Admiral's Committee (bonus points for anyone who thinks of a better name there) live day to day in fear that something will break that they can't fix or gloss over.

In the actual game I ran, the characters acquired an alien spacecraft (not Martian) and were flying it home. Unlike their own ships, it had pervasive computer controls. One member of the group had found and activated a device that gave her an understanding of that particular alien language, but that didn't mean she could automatically understand their computers too... so they were trying to figure everything out as they went. Had the game continued, they'd have been redirected upon successfully returning home, going instead to a secret base on the far side of the Moon where they would probably have learned a bit more about the actual situation. The character who had acquired the alien language would have become a very valuable asset to the Solar Alliance. The ship would have been taken apart very carefully to compare its tech to the Martian tech, in hopes of learning more about all those things the Solar Alliance didn't understand.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

johndice wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 amInteresting read. I am a bit confused if you are looking for specific feedback on certain subjects of this concept or just feedback in general. Perhaps I missed a step somewhere providing more insight as to what you are looking for.
I'm sorry, I didn't address this bit in my original reply.

I'm not looking for feedback. I'm looking for collaboration. Others who like my ideas, who want to add their own ideas to the mix. I don't promise I'll use everything, but everything offered will be considered.
johndice

Post by johndice »

ah I'm sorry, I guess I totally read your call to action wrong! I thought you were looking for feedback on concept and game design. My bad 😄👍

all the best

John
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The fact that I'm not looking for feedback does not mean I don't want it. Please, if you have things to say, I'm all ears. (Eyes? whatever. :D )