Beginner Help

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
messenger

Beginner Help

Post by messenger »

I just got the core book, and I can't figure out how leveling works. There isn't a clear explanation. Can someone please explain.
Metroknight

Re: Beginner Help

Post by Metroknight »

Each class has specific xp requirement for their levels.

Take the fighter as an example:
1st level requires 0XP
2nd level requires 2,000 XP

This just means your character must acquire 2000xp to level up to 2nd level. This is awarded by the GM at the end of the session, usually, but each GM does things differently so some might award XP during the game, some might not even use xp and use what is called milestone leveling.

Every core rule book class has a different xp chart (page 7 & 8) while subclasses might have different xp requirements.
messenger

Post by messenger »

Okay, so it's just moving up, I guess down, a table. I wish it had said that in the book.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

The Basic Fantasy RPG core rulebook doesn't spend a lot of time going into the details of how general table-top RPGs work and there's a certain assumption of basic familiarity with them. Once your familiar with the rules this approach is helpful to avoid cruft; if you need to look at the rulebook it's easier to find the actual details you need to check. When early RPG games came out there was no internet and if it wasn't in the book you probably weren't going to find it out without a lot of effort. However, these days there's a lot of information available on the web. Of course, this is a pretty friendly community by my reckoning and such questions can be answered quicky. We love having more people get interested.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Yeah, we're pretty friendly here. If you have any more questions or anything, we're always happy to help.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood