Diagonal squares and distance

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

Diagonal squares and distance

Post by cbarchuk »

On a standard dungeon map where one square=10' does two diagonal squares still count as 20' when calculating distance? So can my fighter with only a combat movement of 20' move two diagonal squares?
CarrionScrawler

Re: Diagonal squares and distance

Post by CarrionScrawler »

Diagonally, that's about 28 feet (28.2842712475 more precisely) compared to moving two 10' squares vertically or horizontally. It's a non-trivial difference mathematically, but if it's negligible to you and slows down your game unreasonably to accommodate for diagonals, just consider any two squares vertically, horizontally or diagonally as 20 feet for the purposes of movement.

Or consider a a vertical or horizontal square 10', and a diagonal square 15'.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

CarrionScrawler wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 pm Diagonally, that's about 28 feet (28.2842712475 more precisely) compared to moving two 10' squares vertically or horizontally. It's a non-trivial difference mathematically, but if it's negligible to you and slows down your game unreasonably to accommodate for diagonals, just consider any two squares vertically, horizontally or diagonally as 20 feet for the purposes of movement.

Or consider a a vertical or horizontal square 10', and a diagonal square 15'.
Thank you very much! I knew it was a bit longer but some games make more of it than others.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

One previous GM I had used the rule: 2 diagonal squares equals 3 adjacent squares. This makes the math work out fairly well without worrying about 3 significant figures but doesn't allow characters to exceed their abilities.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

CarrionScrawler wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 pm Or consider a a vertical or horizontal square 10', and a diagonal square 15'.
I think this is the simplest way to look at it. . You run diagonally across 2 squares in a room to get to a open passage and then run straight for another 3 squares. (15+15+10+10+10)= 60'. or (2*15 + 3*10) = 60'

2 diagonals equals 3 squares also works, but leaves you with fractions if you move an odd number of diagonals.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Every second space entered diagonally counts as two spaces. It's not far from correct and works well in play, so it's how I've done it for years (since before BFRPG).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

I always say you can move diagonally at the same cost. It's a goose and gander thing. If you can do it, the baddies can as well.

Then again, I often use 5' squares (ducks for cover) so maybe I might rethink with 10 footers.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Longman wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 pm I always say you can move diagonally at the same cost. It's a goose and gander thing. If you can do it, the baddies can as well.

Then again, I often use 5' squares (ducks for cover) so maybe I might rethink with 10 footers.
Same as me it seems!
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
pawibus

Post by pawibus »

Yeah--using 5' squares, you can count each diagonal as 7' and it's very close to real-world (7.07') and at least the way my brain works, it's easier to count by fives or sevens consistently than to count by fives and then switch to alternating by fives and tens. In fact, once you get where you're going, if you round up or down to the nearest 5' it comes out to be the same distance (7->5, 14->15, 21->20, 28->30, etc.).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Counting every second diagonal square twice works equally well in 10' and 5' squares... just sayin'.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org