DM decision help

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

Re: DM decision help

Post by cbarchuk »

Hywaywolf wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm I meant rolling encounters to see if help comes, not to see if the thief gets killed :) That allows some randomness rather than just saying. "Ok, you sat there for a week, then walked into town and raised your MU from death. yay. "
Ah right. :lol: Sounds good. Oh how much does it typically cost to raise a character?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I have no idea but it takes a 10th level cleric to do it so it can't be cheap
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

In pretty much any fantasy setting gold is relatively valuable. 1 GP can sustain a family of four for months if they live very modestly. A family's life savings may be between 20 and 100 GP, which they often offer for the _safe_ return of kidnapped or lost loved ones. You'd think that most families would scrape together 100 GP if that's all it cost to resurrect somebody. On top of that, the richest families probably can easily spare 1,000 or 50,000 GP if that's what it costs.

And yet, typically you don't have a lot of "I died and was resurrected" people in most campaigns, even among the rich and powerful. (YMMV). So I'd think that it's not _just_ a matter of money. The party must be able to convince it's very exceptionally necessary, such as to save a town or something. Material wealth is probably not enough to sway somebody who has immense supernatural powers. They will almost always probably demand something done in return.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Well said. And just because someone can do something doesn't mean they will want to do it since they probably already have their own stuff going on. I mean Miracle Max was in no mood to do a resurrection but eventually did it for pocket change when he found out it would harm Prince Humperdink.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

For my games I actually switched to a silver based economy, not gold, but that's just me. As for cost of resurrection, I usually tie it into a thing where a gem must be crushed and doused in holy water. Which faith is doing the resurrection will determine the gem but they also get some nifty boons for going to the more "expensive" ones (the cheapest one follows all the rules, no cruft, and requires a small cat's eye gem worth at least 1000 sp while the most expensive one doesn't negate any levels but requires a gem of red beryl worth at least 15000 sp for example).

Or, if wanted/needed, the cleric could be obligated to cast Quest on the party to carry out a task important to the temple in question...
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Oh how much does it typically cost to raise a character?
There is nothing "typical" in it, unless your setting is one where people come back to life easily...

If we use the scroll creation cost as a base: it would cost 3000gp
I wouldn't charge anything bellow that. You pay for saving your friend an open the chance to save another life.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

why would you charge the scroll creation cost? Shouldn't the cleric be able to make a profit?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I said I would not charge anything below that cost, nor that the cost is fixed...
I did not say they should not or could not charge more, that's up to the church or priest, maybe profit from someone's death and use of holly magic is a sin...
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I was just joking around about profit. An evil cleric might be all about the money, but I don't think a non-evil cleric would care too much about what it cost to resurrect but instead would want to know if the party is deserving of it and if failing that if they could do a service to the church that was deserving of it.

I suppose there could be an adventures guild that had that as part of the service similar to sword sharpening, fencing goods and outfitting.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

-Oh no, Dranick The Darksmile has perished!!
-Quickly! To the Adventurers Guild!!
-Wait, where did he put his Adventurers Guild's Health Insurance Card??
(Never leave town without your AGHIC)