Seeking advice on use of miniatures and terrain.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
gorrrak

Seeking advice on use of miniatures and terrain.

Post by gorrrak »

So my players love miniatures, and I have a ton of them. My issue is we map dungeons on a dry erase battle map with a 1square=10 feet scale. (to allow larger dungeons to fit). This is half the scale needed for the miniatures to properly move on the mat.

Does anyone have experience bringing yet another battle mat out for the miniature combat? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Metroknight

Re: Seeking advice on use of miniatures and terrain.

Post by Metroknight »

Years ago when I ran face to face games my group used battlemats for combat but for the actual mapping of layouts, one person was chosen to be the mapper and used graph paper. This allowed them to keep notes on their maps about traps, secret doors with trick latches, unusual descriptions, etc...

I found it engaged the players more while off loading the detail of mapping from the GM.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I just allow them to share space. About 3 adults can walk side by side down a 10 foot wide dungeon (maybe 4). But when battle happens, only two can melee fight in a 10 foot space. Someone can shoot a weapon through the area (sling, bow, etc.) but there is a chance that they might hit one of their own.

I try to think about how the situation would play out and what rules would apply. If I am not sure where a player is standing because they occupy the same space, I ask the players where they are standing and run with it.
teaman

Post by teaman »

I just put things on the table and fudge the distance.

"Can I get far enough to hit him this turn?"

"Yes" is almost always the answer.

But that's my approach.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I just played tonight on a wilderness adventure that was mostly outdoors and the distance was a weird 1 square equals 60 yards. But it was no problem. Actually, I think I failed to think about distance when players used their bows or slings . . . but who cares. We had fun.