Druid animal friends question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
hopelessmelon

Druid animal friends question

Post by hopelessmelon »

Hi all.

My friends and I have decided to start a roleplaying group, and we've chosen BFRPG as our platform. As a first-time GMer I'm really excited but have a lot of questions. Not sure how active y'all are on this forum, but if the answer is 'very,' then you'll probably be seeing me a lot.

My question right now is in relation to the rule about the max number of animal friends a druid can have.

"A caster may only have, at most, twice his or her level in hit dice of animal friends. If this spell is cast on an animal that would put the total above that number, it has no effect."

So if you're, for example, a level 2 druid, you'd roll the hit dice for level 4, which would be 4d6. Easy enough.

If that druid levels up to level 3, do they have to re-roll for level 6 hit dice (6d6)? What if the 4d6 roll was a 7 and the 6d6 is a 6? Do I have to sever the bonds with one of my current animal friends?

I'm assuming that, realistically, it'll be highly unlikely for a druid to properly care for 7 animal friends, but if for whatever reason that happened to be the case, I'm curious about how the rules would handle that situation.

Please let me know if I'm interpreting something wrong. Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Druid animal friends question

Post by Solomoriah »

I think you misunderstand how this works.

A 2nd level Druid can have no more than 4 hit dice of animal friends; that's four 1 hit die animals, two 2 hit die animals, or any other combination adding up to no more than 4 hit dice total.

There is no "rolling" to be done here, at all. At least, not to determine how many.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
hopelessmelon

Post by hopelessmelon »

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

That being said...are there rules somewhere determining how many hit die an animal gets? I'd just assign any common animal not listed in the field guides as having one, but again I may be missing something.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

One hit die is man sized, or nearly so; a good-sized dog has at least one. Smaller than that is 1/2 hit die or less (really small critters like bats get 1 hit point).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org