What are you listening to/watching/reading?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Sir Daggerford

Re: What are you listening to/watching/reading?

Post by Sir Daggerford »

At the moment:

Reading: The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel. It's a superb, non-traditional thriller. I highly recommend it.

Watching: Season 10 of The X-Files. The truth is still out there, after all...

Listening to: Sisters of Mercy, Souxsie and the Banshees, The Cult, Bauhaus, and other various 80s New Wave and Goth Rock bands.

Playing: Risk of Rain. It's a sci-fi platformer/side-scroller, with pixel-art graphics. Very engaging and interesting, but it certainly has a steep learning curve.
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Watching: Blade Runner 2049
Reading: On Writing
Listening: Celeste, Hyper Light Drifter, Doom Remake
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

Listening to: “Policy of Truth,” by Depeche Mode.

Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

Listening to: "Midnight In Harlem," by the Tedeschi Trucks Band. A little calming blues for a busy morning.

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Sipping: way too strong coffee
Listening: Vincenzo Salvia, Oxenfree soundtrack
Playing: bass guitar
Watching: The Fugitive (on the big screen, was awesome!), Friends on Netflix, every John Carpenter movie I own on Plex
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

Reading: The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel. Another good thriller, with some very nice twists to it.

Listening to: "I Hope You're Happy" by Blue October. Very much a retro-styled song. It came out last December, but it sounds like it would have fit perfectly in the mid to late 80s.

And Chiisu, I didn't know you were a bassist. From one musician to another, I wish you good practicing! :)

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thank you! 8-) I've played and wandered from so many instruments over the years/decades (handbells > guitar > piano > bass > drums), but these days bass is what I've seem to have settled on, and it seems to match my disposition/attitude/way of life if that makes sense. What do you (and others!) play?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Reading: Burnt Offerings, Vampire Requiem 2E
Listening: Mr. Robot Vol. 4
Playing: bass guitar (scales, building up strength and duration using metronome)
Watching: Uncle Buck, Patriot Games
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

chiisu81 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 am Thank you! 8-) I've played and wandered from so many instruments over the years/decades (handbells > guitar > piano > bass > drums), but these days bass is what I've seem to have settled on, and it seems to match my disposition/attitude/way of life if that makes sense. What do you (and others!) play?

Myself, I'm primarily a guitarist, and then a vocalist from time to time. I can very much relate to the idea of a certain instrument fitting ones disposition/personality. I too have meandered through a somewhat long and winding line of instruments (quite a few of the same ones actually, though in a bit different order). I can play a fairly wide variety of instruments though, depending on what the situation calls for (not necessarily well, mind you). Aside from percussion, that is. My self of rhythm is, to say the least, lacking. :oops:

Also, more on topic...

Listening to: "Stargazer" by Rainbow. Rest in peace Ronnie James Dio, a musician like no other. Such an amazing song! Not to mention that it's perfect for a good BFRPG session, given the fantasy-oriented lyrical content, and the epic/theatrical nature of the instrumental composition. At least in my opinion.

teluria

What I've been reading lately

Post by teluria »

While I'm not a fan of Vancian magic system, I'm very fond of the Dying Earth novels, especially the adventures of Cugel the Clever, which I've been rereading lately.

One of the things I'm going to add to my campaign are composite magic items that have minor effects by themselves, but have major effects combined, or two items that the players see used together where the magic item that appears to be magic isn't actually the magic item.

The other thing I love about Vance is the dialog. The formality of the language is a thing of beauty.

The other writer I enjoy is Matthew Hughes, who has written a slew of novels set in the prior eon of the Dying Earth novels. The stories are very funny, and Hughes has a great command of Vancian dialog.

The other writer that I'm rereading is Marvin Kaye, especially the Incredible Umbrella and the Amorous Umbrella. Both are great adventures in the "Incompleat Enchanter" model, sending a 20th century individual to lands of legend and literature. Highly recommended.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation