Equipment Emporium Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
borgar

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by borgar »

I've though I could practicing drawing something other than maps by making small drawings of some simpler items. Is this something suitable for the Equipment Emporium?
bottles_1.png
bottles_1.png (32.35 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
bottles_2.png
bottles_2.png (31.01 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
barrel.png
barrel.png (67.15 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
Last edited by borgar on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
borgar

Post by borgar »

And I did a couple of weapons.
battle_axe.png
battle_axe.png (36.45 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
throwing_axe.png
throwing_axe.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, those are very appropriate, and pretty nice too!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm about to upload a revised Equipment Emporium. I've identified some areas to work on:

First, the prose is rough. It may technically be proper English, but some parts are painful to read, like a first draft that has not had its rewrite yet. I'll be reviewing the text, but if anyone sees a part that is just hard to understand, please go ahead and post it here. THIS IS NOT a slam on the original authors... my first drafts look like that too. But this is why I'm (slowly) revising the Field Guide... too much text that's hard to read.

ALSO, some of the material presented in EE should have been submitted for Combat Options. The staff rules, in particular, are ingenious; I've already moved that bit to Combat Options, making a few very minor adjustments to make it work better with the rules presented there. I particularly like the bit where you use the ends of the staff as if they were two weapons.

The, um, rule is like this... if the rule in EE is required or intended to work with the new equipment found there, but not really relevant to the Core Rules items, it stays in EE. If the rule doesn't need EE at all, it goes wherever it properly belongs (like Combat Options). If the rule is ambiguous, I'll decide on a case-by-case basis. In particular, this means I'll be leaving Piecemail Armor in EE, as, though it could work with Core Rules armor, the expanded armor tables in EE make it more relevant there.

What I don't want is this book becoming a sort of "advanced" supplement, a backdoor "companion" or anything like that. The rules content should not alter the game any more than needed to accommodate the expanded equipment lists presented here. Things that change the nature of the game must stay supplements. When I wasn't planning to print this book, I didn't care so much, but now it matters.

So this will probably not be in print in time for anyone's Easter basket (and I don't have a cover yet anyway). But I've decided this book is definitely going to be printed.

ALSO, and finally, I credited Borgar for artwork but have not integrated it yet. R13 should have his stuff in it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am really thrilled that this is getting some attention. The content in this is really useful stuff. I just wish Joe the Rat was around more to see it get a new round of edits... he really did all the amazing work. I just helped dig up ideas and bulk example content to include.

The newest release looks really good.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
borgar

Post by borgar »

I've done a few more weapon illustrations. Use as you see fit.

I'll leave the frontpage and larger drawings to those with greater skills. I'll stick to simpler shapes (especially thoose I can find images of online).
bow.png
bow.png (25.64 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
arrows.png
arrows.png (37.46 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
shield.png
shield.png (69.84 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
borgar

Post by borgar »

And a couple of more weapons.
warhammer.png
warhammer.png (28.43 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
spear.png
spear.png (31.9 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Borgar, your stuff all looks quite good! I'll try to get it all into the next release.

I did have to scale things up a bit, but it doesn't seem to have hurt your pics. To use them in print, I have to crop out the excess white space; the resulting picture needs to be at least 975 pixels wide for single-column use, or around 2000 pixels wide for full-page use. The pics you just submitted look perfect for single-column use, but they are all a bit less than 975 pixels wide when the whitespace is cropped.

But as I say, they all scaled up fine. I also rotated the spear, as I've found that pole weapons look good at an angle... but who knows, I may make it a page divider.
heromedel

Post by heromedel »

I got mine printed and ready to go and have flipped through it and read much of it one more then one occasion but now I will keep a better eye on things to see if I notice any problems. I may even sit down and read it cover to cover. At the moment I have no comments but when I gt a chance to look at it again I might have something to say about marbles however it is likely trivial or not even an actual issue but I will get back to you on that if I find one or of course any other issues.

Thank you for inviting me to help.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote:I did have to scale things up a bit, but it doesn't seem to have hurt your pics. To use them in print, I have to crop out the excess white space; the resulting picture needs to be at least 975 pixels wide for single-column use, or around 2000 pixels wide for full-page use. The pics you just submitted look perfect for single-column use, but they are all a bit less than 975 pixels wide when the whitespace is cropped.

But as I say, they all scaled up fine. I also rotated the spear, as I've found that pole weapons look good at an angle... but who knows, I may make it a page divider.
Ah, I've previously attached link to the unscaled Gimp files and added smaller view images here. I intended to do the same this time but ended up with partially downsized images too large to view comfortably in the forum. I have put the larger cleaned up images here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... GRlTGUrfLH

in case you want the larger images to work with.