Complete Noobs Starting Point

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
asdf130

Complete Noobs Starting Point

Post by asdf130 »

Hello guys and gals. I've recently started playing the Final Fantasy series from beginning to end; (I'm talking NES and SNES old school). Needless to say, I've found a new hobby! This has brought on an interest to start playing a tabletop RPG. I remember when I was a kid, some of my friends talking about D&D, but I never really wanted to play until now.

I'm sure that there is quite a difference in the two, but that makes me want to play even more.

Are there any guides to help someone along who has never played before? Or maybe a play by post that will take in a complete NOOB? I need to get an idea of exactly how to play.

Also, can Basic Fantasy be played with just two people? Can a game master also play in the game, or is he strictly a referee???
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Complete Noobs Starting Point

Post by Solomoriah »

Getting into a game is the best way to learn. Hopefully someone running a PbP will jump in here with an invitation.

Generally, the GM can't also be a player. It's almost impossible to do this without being unfair to the other player(s).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

At the beginning of the OSR movement one of the most popular documents was the Quick Primer for Old School Gaming. It's just one person's/group's opinion of how to run a game, but it's a fun quick read to get an idea.

There's also our own Chris Gonnerman's The Role Playing Game Primer. I recommend this more than the former, as it's a more "level-headed" introduction to the concept of playing an RPG.

Besides possibly joining a game on here, be sure to check out the BFRPG games on Roll20, and you could also post to Reddit's /r/lfg page.

It's certainly possible to run a game with just 2 people, with one person being the GM as well as a PC, but it may not be as fun or "mysterious" as just being a player.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Not sure of your time zone or availability, but i run an open table BFRPG dungeon crawl Wednesday nights at 6pm est. Check it out, and if you can make the day and time let me know.
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/9007 ... ron-falcon
merias

Post by merias »

I'll second the 'Role Playing Game Primer', it's a great introduction for both players and GMs. It might also be worthwhile searching youtube for recorded game sessions, there are many there for most old-school games and retro-clones (try searching for '<game system> actual play'). That way you can see how other GMs run this style of game.