The Barbarian Berserker

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dristram

The Barbarian Berserker

Post by Dristram »

Hi all! This is my first post! I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

In 1st Edition AD&D I made a couple of brother Fighters that were Frost Barbarians from Oerth. I made one that was a Berserker human from the Monster Manual and it was a fun combo. When the Unearthed Arcana released I started using the Barbarian class for the Ice/Frost/Snow Barbarians. I remade my Berserker Fighter as a Barbarian and it really added a lot of flavor. I like the idea of the rage ability but it never sat well with me when later D&D Barbarian classes included a "rage' ability. It makes it seem like ALL barbarians are berserkers. And suddenly every half-orc character was a raging barbarian. I always treated berserkers as rare in barbarian tribes. Barbarian is really more of a background than a class, but alas, in the absence of a background mechanic, a class is where it goes.

I really like the idea of the Quasi-classes in BF. When I looked at the Barbarian overlay, I saw it as perfect for the northern barbarians of Oerth and especially on the Fighter class. Also on the Barbarian class, but the names were redundant, with the class the one with the rage ability. I was really stoked when it hit me that I could edit the open document for the Barbarian and change it to Berserker, creating Berserker as a class for my campaign, and then add the Barbarian Quasi-class and voila(!) I can remake my Frost Barbarian Berserker from AD&D for BF!

The Quasi-class mechanic is ingenious! Tonight I created a Ranger/Archer and am loving it! It really has that Ranger of Ithilien feel!

Anyway, thanks for creating this great system. It is fitting my style very well so far.
SmootRK

Re: The Barbarian Berserker

Post by SmootRK »

Dristram wrote:The Quasi-class mechanic is ingenious! Tonight I created a Ranger/Archer and am loving it! It really has that Ranger of Ithilien feel!

Anyway, thanks for creating this great system. It is fitting my style very well so far.
Thanks for props on the Quasi-Class mechanic. :D
I think one of the neatest parts of quasi-classes is when the option is applied to a non-traditional combination. For instance, Barbaric Cleric or Druid are very appropriate for such cultures, but when one encounters an Inquisitor (Hunter-Cleric) looking for heretics or a Theurge (Holy-MU), things get interesting.

If you haven't already noticed, the main Quasi-Class document has a substantial update located in the Showcase area. This document adds a few more and also updates how the mechanism is applied (very minor way). I do point out that my development for the Monk quasi-class stalled though is probably usable as-is regardless.
http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=51

Also in the showcase is Dimirag's Quasi-Classes 2 document that includes a few that he has created for his campaigns.
http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=64
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Smoot, is there a reason you haven't asked me to put the new Quasi-Class document on the Downloads page? I don't think I even realized you had an updated version.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Smoot, is there a reason you haven't asked me to put the new Quasi-Class document on the Downloads page? I don't think I even realized you had an updated version.
Main reason is that I had an unfinished portion.... the Monk. But also, we had a few small exchanges about what ought to be in downloads vs what is better suited for showcase. I am actually a little torn about which direction it would fit best. I certainly understand that it is one of the more radical (as in never had old school counterpart) additions to the game that does not suit everyone's tastes. That said, it seemed to be a fairly well received option especially with those used to having a lot more class "stuff" in their games (ie later editions of certain games).

I would not mind if it went into downloads.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dristram

Post by Dristram »

SmootRK wrote:Thanks for props on the Quasi-Class mechanic. :D
I think one of the neatest parts of quasi-classes is when the option is applied to a non-traditional combination.
I did recognize that aspect and the Barbarian Druid was my first thought. Being able to apply the Barbarian overlay adds appropriate flavor to any characters originating from Barbaric lands which is really cool.
SmootRK wrote:If you haven't already noticed, the main Quasi-Class document has a substantial update located in the Showcase area.
I hadn't! I just took a look and noticed right away the change in XP. Definitely a bump over an additional 10%, but I can see the logic. The +500 or +1000 XP initially made me choke, but when compared to the extra XP needed for the Combination Classes, it's more palatable. :-) It makes Quasi-classes fall more in line with the Combination Class mechanic, which is a good thing.

These are great options to put in the DM's toolbox for when characters develop compelling backgrounds that deserve class mechanic adjustments.