Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by Dimirag »

Added the Amalgam and Bog Ogre pics right here
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I've noted that most of the monsters that require a special weapon or attack to be hit has either the * on its name or the †/‡ on its AC but not both as it should...

Creatures having * on its name but no †/‡
-Amalgam
-Armorer
-Firenewt
-Infernal, Arachnea
-Infernal, eldri
-Infernal, Hezrou
-Infernal, Malebranche
-Infernal, Shadow Fiend

Creature having †/‡ but no *
-Advi, Advenger
-Advi, Charity
-Advi, Diligence
.Curse
-Mithridatium Bush
-Dreamless
-Fairy, Forest
-Fairy, Frost
-Fairy, Mountain
-Fairy, Ocean
-Fairy, Volcano
-Golem, Chain
-Golem, purifier
-Living Graveyard
-Salamander, Sand
-Salamander, Wind
-Sun's child
-Wind Wolf

Also, the:
-Cthaeh
-Dancing Shadow
-Dragophant
-Spirit of Vengeance
has a ** on its AC, if this is supposed to be a ‡ they also need a * on their names

Dragophant needs a * on its HD due to it special attack and the corresponding XP increase.
All golems have their specific names in parenthesis, should they have it w/out?
The Sewer Boar has a ‡ on it HD
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

I have added Dimirag's notes on daggers and asterisks to my edit of the FG2. I have the first 8 pages fully edited (I hope) and I am slowly working further through the text.
It is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsz77jsuygs69 ... t.odt?dl=0
Last edited by Fraetor on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Dimirag thanks for the editing notes. I'm not sure if the same is true for FG1, can you check it at your convenience as Solo is currently working on it? I will also look at your newest artwork this week and incorporate it into my working ODT file.

coldrage: I cannot load the ODT file that you linked. Are you using LibreOffice on your edit? If so, I would request that you have track changes enabled as you work on it. I need to be able to see each edit/proposed change. If the ODT won't link/open correctly on Google Drive, I'd rather you email/PM me a direct download link once you've completed your editing.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R26 uploaded, with Dimirag's artwork and edit notes.

coldrage: thanks, Dropbox will work better. Once you'd completed let me know in this thread and I'll integrate it for R27. While I've already completed Dimirag's editing notes, don't spend time removing them from your copy. Also, don't worry about the layout/flow, I'll take care of that.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Note (for me):
For R27 will fix the Tin Golem stat-block as noted by Cryanhall.
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

I have added the Tin Golem stat changes to my edit. RL has been slowing me down and I am only up to page 20.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here is my long list of corrections and questions for the first half of FG2:

Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2 Edits

Title Page; Contributors – Please change AlMan to Alan Vetter, please.

Whole book;{General question) headers have the name of the module and Monsters, will this eventually have the first and last monster’s name depending on the page being even or odd?

Page 1; No. of Attacks paragraph -
Currently: Hell Steeds are marked 2 hooves/1 bite or 1 breath as they can attack with both front hooves and also bite in one round instead of using their breath weapon.

Should be: Hell Steeds are marked 2 hooves/1 bite or 1 breath as they can attack with both front hooves and also bite in one round, or instead, use their breath weapon in one round.

Page 2, 84 - 85; Advi, Avenger, Advi, Charity, and Advi, Diligence
Currently all three names have a coma in the name but, in the descriptions of each device the name is given without the coma. Depending on which is correct the coma’s will need to come out of the Name line and Index pages or the names will need to be reversed in the descriptions like Avenger Advi, Charity Advi and Diligence Advi respectively.

Page 2, Aeromi description paragraph 1 -
Currently - dextrous
Should be - dexterous

Page 3, Aeromi description paragraph 4 -
Currently - witchdoctor
Should be - witch doctor

Page 4, Amalgam description paragraph 5 -
Currently - spectres
Should be - specters
Using the UK spelling. If this was a stand alone reference the UK spelling would be OK, but since this is a collaborative effort and the Core Rules are published is in the USA, I would argue that we use the American spelling.

Page 5, Bartleby's Wondrous Automaton, paragraph 1 -
Currently - theorised
Should be - theorized
Using the UK spelling

Page 5, Bartleby's Wondrous Automaton, paragraph 2 -
Currently - grey
Should be - gray
Using the UK spelling

Page 5, Bartleby's Wondrous Automaton, paragraph 4 -
Currently - heavily-armoured
Should be - heavily-armored
Using the UK spelling

Page 5, Bazeley's Clockwork Armature, paragraph 1 -
Currently - armoured
Should be - armored
Using the UK spelling twice in same paragraph.

Page 6 – 7, 84 – 85, 87; Bazeley’s Marvellous Spheres
There are ten instances of Marvellous which is misspelled across the pages given, should be Marvelous.

Page 6, Bartleby's Bazeley’s Marvellous Spheres, paragraph 2 -
Currently - colours
Should be - colors
Using the UK spelling

Page 9, Bear, Gummy, paragraph 1 -
Currently - However, if an observer is close to the creature it can seem to be translucent.
Should be - However, if an observer is close to the creature it appears to be translucent.

Page 9, Bear, Long, paragraph 1 -
Currently - A long bear can come in a variety of colorations, from black to blonde.
Should be - A long bear can come in a variety of colors, from black to blonde.

Page 9, Bear, Migou, paragraph 1 -
Currently - demihumans
Should be - demi-humans

Page 11, Beebear, paragraph 1 -
Currently - colours
Should be - colors
Using the UK spelling there is another instance of the same word being used in this paragraph.

Page 14, Bruhl description paragraph 1 and paragraph 3 -
Currently - witchdoctor
Should be - witch doctor

Page 16, Cheiropterans description paragraph 1 -
Currently - eyesockets
Should be - eye sockets

Page 16, Cheiropterans paragraph 1 -
Currently - armoured
Should be - armored
Using the UK spelling.

Page 16, Cheiropterans paragraph 1 -
Currently - mailshirt
Should be - chain mail shirt

Page 18, Cthaeh, paragraph 1 -
Currently - multicoloured
Should be - multicolored
Using the UK spelling

Page 18, Cthaeh, paragraph 2 -
Currently - realise
Should be - realize
Using the UK spelling

Page 18, Cthaeh, paragraph 3 and paragraph 6 -
Currently - favour
Should be - favor
Using the UK spelling

Page 18, Cthaeh, paragraph 5 -
Currently - armoured
Should be - armored
Using the UK spelling

Page 21, Diabolus, paragraph 3 -
Currently - paralysing
Should be - paralyzing
Using the UK spelling

Page 24, Ice Dragon, paragraph 1 -
Currently - coloured
Should be - colored
Using the UK spelling.

Page 24, Ice Dragon; do we need an Age table for this type of dragon, even with just the older ages given.

Page 24, Dragophant, Stat blocks -
In the No. of Attacks line there is a space before the listing for the attacks.

Page 24, Dragophant, paragraph 1 -
Currently - savannah
Should be - savanna
Using the UK spelling.

Page 26, Dreamless, paragraph 1 -
Currently - colour
Should be - color
Using the UK spelling.

Page 26, Dreamless, paragraph 3 -
Currently - memorise
Should be - memorize
Using the UK spelling.

Page 27, Dufflepud, paragraph 1 -
Currently - A dufflepud is also an excellent miner and fisherman, and has even been seen to use its single foot as a canoe.
Should be - A dufflepud is also an excellent miner and fisherman, and have even been seen to use its single foot as a canoe.

Page 27, Dwarrow, paragraph 1 -
Currently - It is an expert craftsmen and its weapons and gear is always of the highest quality.
Should be - It is an expert craftsmen and its weapons and gear are always of the highest quality.

Page 27, Dwarrow, paragraph 1 -
Currently - It hates Dwarves and will attack them first unless ordered otherwise. It suffers the same weapon restrictions as Dwarves.
Should be - Dwarrows hate Dwarves and will attack them first unless ordered otherwise. A dwarrow suffers the same weapon restrictions as a Dwarf.

Page 27, Dwarrow, paragraph 2 -
Currently - It can speak both Dwarven and Common, though it rarely speaks to non-dwarrows.
Should be - Dwarrows can speak both Dwarven and Common, though they rarely speak to non-dwarrows.

Page 30, Fairy, Ocean, paragraph 1 -
Currently - coloured
Should be - colored
Using the UK spelling.

Page 31, Fyrenewt, paragraph 1 -
Currently - lizardmen
Should be - lizard men
BFRPG shows the listing as Lizard man.

Page 32, Geminate serpent, paragraph 3 -
Currently - During this time the parents will take turns hunting for food, bringing back unconscious and alive creatures if possible.
Should be - During this time the parents will take turns hunting for food, bringing back unconscious and live creatures if possible.

Page 32, Geminate serpent, paragraph 1 -
Currently - Blue serpents feed off farmers and livestock it captures from the outskirts of towns and cities, using its breath to freeze its victim and drag it back to its lair.
Should be - Blue geminate serpents feed off farmers and livestock captured from the outskirts of towns and cities, using its breath to freeze and drag victims back to the lair.
Too many pronouns.

Page 33, Blue Geminate serpent, paragraph 1 -
Currently - Once in a blue geminate serpent’s lair they are frozen to the roof above where the serpent sleeps, its mouths agape and waiting for any that try to escape and fall. Many captured creatures are simply left frozen to the roof if they do not provide enough struggle or have died. Each limb of a creature frozen to the roof can withstand 150 lb of weight before breaking.
Should be - Once in a blue geminate serpent’s lair the victim is frozen to the roof above where the serpent sleeps. The serpent lies under the victim with mouths agape waiting for the victim to try to escape and fall. Captured creatures that do not provide enough struggle or have died are simply left frozen to the roof. The limbs of such frozen creatures can withstand 150 lb of weight.
Too many pronouns.

Page 33, Green Geminate serpent, paragraph 1 -
Currently - A Green Geminate Serpent is considered the most cowardly of all the serpents. They live in swamps, marshes, and dense forests. Eating mostly deer and other similarly-sized creatures, they are scarcely seen by people. If a green serpent comes across a group of adventurers or is attacked by one, it will throw up a smokescreen and imitate a dragon until it has agreed upon a deal to get rid of the adventurer, scared it away, or put it to sleep. If it is known that the adventurer will revel the location of its lair, it will attack.
Should be - A Green Geminate Serpent is considered the most cowardly of all the geminate serpents. They live in swamps, marshes, and dense forests. Eating mostly deer and other similar-sized creatures, they are scarcely seen by people. If a green geminate serpent comes across or is attacked by a group of adventurers it will throw up a smokescreen and imitate a dragon until it has agreed upon a deal to get rid of the adventurers, scared the group away, or put the group to sleep. If the green geminate serpent thinks that the adventurers will revel the location of the lair, the group will be attacked.
Too many pronouns.

Page 34, Pleasant Geminate serpent, paragraph 1 -
Currently - A Pleasant Geminate Serpent is a cruel being. Its unique ability allows it to hide in plain sight; any whom look upon this creature can see it and are usually overcome with fear until they look away. Those who look away will not remember seeing the creature, and will not know that it exists. Using this, a pleasant geminate serpent simply slithers up to its prey and picks them up. Its breath weapon has a similar effect and will wipe the memories of all creatures caught for the length of time specified in the table below; the breath also fills the minds affected with pleasant memories of time forgotten. Any who save against this twice successfully becomes immune to it.
Should be - A Pleasant Geminate Serpent is a cruel being with the unique ability to hide in plain sight; any victim that looks upon this creature can see it and are usually overcome with fear until the victim looks away. A victim that looks away will not remember seeing the creature, or that it even exists. The pleasant geminate serpent then simply slithers up to its prey and picks them up. The breath weapon has a similar effect and will wipe the memories of all creatures caught for the length of time specified in the table below; the breath also fills the minds of those affected with pleasant memories of time forgotten. Any victim who successfully saves against the breath weapon twice becomes immune to it.
Too many pronouns.

Page 36, Ghostcap Bloom, paragraph 1 -
Currently - savings throw
Should be - saving throw

Page 38, Sapient Glyph, paragraph 6 -
Currently - maximise.
Should be - maximize
Using the UK spelling.

Page 38, Gold Slime, paragraph 2 -
Currently - It will attack anyone carrying gold and will attempt to envelope their limbs, dissolving them with a strong acid. Once it neutralises them it will devour any gold they had and leave to digest it.
Should be - A gold slime will attack anyone carrying gold and will attempt to envelope their limbs, dissolving the victim with a strong acid. Once it neutralizes the victim, the gold slime will devour any gold the victim had.
Too many pronouns.

Page 38, Gold Slime, paragraph 3 -
Currently - While it does not have any treasure, all of the gold it has devoured is still present, dissolved in its slime.
Should be - While a gold slime does not carry any treasure, all of the gold it has devoured is still present, dissolved in the slime’s body.
Too many pronouns.

Page 38, Golem, paragraph 1 -
Currently - Eight additional types are described here:
Should be - Nine additional types are described here:

Page 41, Grave Dancer, paragraph 3 -
Currently - It only be hit by magical weapons, but when hit the grave dancer suffers no damage, instead disappearing (along with its accompanying music) for 1d6 rounds.
Should be – A grave dancer can only be hit by magical weapons, but when hit the grave dancer suffers no damage, instead it disappears (along with the accompanying music) for 1d6 rounds.

Page 41, Grave Sentinel, paragraph 1 and page 42 paragraph 3 -
Currently - armour
Should be - armor
Using the UK spelling

Page 42, Grave Sentinel, paragraph 2 -
Currently - It accompanies every group of grave sentinels and directs them in combat to attack the weakest but most damaging enemies, such as Magic-Users and Clerics, before surrounding others.
Should be - A Grave Watcher is accompanied by a group of ten grave sentinels and directs them in combat to attack the weakest but most damaging enemies, such as Magic-Users and Clerics, before surrounding others.

Page 42, Grave Sentinel, paragraph 3 -
Currently - unorganised
Should be - unorganized
Using the UK spelling

Page 42, Grawl, paragraph 1 -
Currently - An adult male stands on average 6'5'' tall and weighs around 260 pounds, with females are slightly smaller than males.
Should be - An adult male stands on average 6'5'' tall and weighs around 260 pounds, females are slightly smaller than males.

Page 43 and 45 (General question) Shouldn’t Hawksian griffons, and Imperial griffons be listed as Griffon, Hawksian and Griffon, Imperial? That would put them on page 43.

Page 43, Hawksian griffons, paragraph 1 -
Currently - Hawksian griffons have a wide variety of colourations, however they tend towards a combination of dark grey and red, with a multicoloured patch of fur and feathers marking the point where lion and eagle meet, with females of the species being slightly larger. The griffons prefer grasslands and savannah, and prey upon pretty much anything that crosses their path.
Should be - Hawksian griffons have a wide variety of coloration, however they tend towards a combination of dark gray and red, with a multicolored patch of fur and feathers marking the point where lion and eagle meet, with females of the species being slightly larger. The griffons prefer grasslands and savanna, and prey upon pretty much anything that crosses their path.

I'll start working on the second half now.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

AlMan wrote:Whole book;{General question) headers have the name of the module and Monsters, will this eventually have the first and last monster’s name depending on the page being even or odd?
Since the FG1 doesn't have monster names in the headers, FG2 won't as well.
AlMan wrote:Page 2, 84 - 85; Advi, Avenger, Advi, Charity, and Advi, Diligence
Currently all three names have a coma in the name but, in the descriptions of each device the name is given without the coma. Depending on which is correct the coma’s will need to come out of the Name line and Index pages or the names will need to be reversed in the descriptions like Avenger Advi, Charity Advi and Diligence Advi respectively.
They are correct as-is. In the header names above the stat-blocks it should be "Advi, Avenger", "Advi, Charity", etc. so that they're all grouped together. If it was the other way around they'd be spread out throughout the book. Same as it is for Infernals, Dragons, Nazgorians, etc. In the text it's always "Red Dragon", etc. That's the norm and I'm sticking to it.
AlMan wrote:Page 24, Ice Dragon; do we need an Age table for this type of dragon, even with just the older ages given.
I would say so, but maybe have Solo or Smoot chime in on this.
AlMan wrote:Page 43 and 45 (General question) Shouldn’t Hawksian griffons, and Imperial griffons be listed as Griffon, Hawksian and Griffon, Imperial? That would put them on page 43.
Correct, they should be grouped together. I'll work on that for R27.
AJS1956

Post by AJS1956 »

Hi all,

Looking through r27 I have spotted a few minor typos.

Advi, Avenger

Last sentence of second paragraph is 'It cannot not use the beam ...'
Should the ' not' be removed?

Bone Viper

Should the attacks be in a different order as they don't seem to match the order of the damage given?

Deep One, Dragoon Creature

Damge is 2d42/d4/1d6
Should this be 2d4/2d4/1d6?

Dragophant (and Alpha)

It looks like the Armor Class and Hit Dice lines are wrong. My guess is the AC given is actually the HD and the HD line is from something else?

Andy