Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

MevlyTM

Re: Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju decides that it's time to chase on foot. He halts Kyo, and jumps off. He calls back to the efreeti, "Narrow the flame! Cook him, but don't ignite him!"

Maju also gets Taku out and ready to fly. He tells her, "Be prepared to attack the wizard directly in the face with your beak and talons, but not until I give you a command to do so. Distract him and then evacuate quickly to save yourself."

OOC: I'm sorry that I haven't been too responsive lately. A good friend of the family died last week and we've been busy preparing for his memorial service/celebration of his life. Actually, you may know of him - he was the man in the photograph for the memes "We Eat Batman" and "Fat Emo". He was a really great guy who loved everyone.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get anyone feeling sorry for me; just explaining what's up.
Longman

Post by Longman »

OOC - Sorry to hear that. I didn't know those memes but my kids do. Thanks for checking in and letting me know what's going on.

Jumping off the dinosaur and arranging your pets takes a full round. You are all still at 70 yards.

If anyone else wants to take control of the dinosaur they will have to roll extremely well on Charisma. Maju has it charmed. You guys don't. If you are dismounting, you may do that and move forward a single move in this round, or you can stay with Maju in a group. It's up to you.

That includes Rhialto even though he already posted.

If I don't hear anything soon I'll assume you have stayed in a group, and will move on to the next round.

The efreeti has heard the command and will obey next round.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Elias will hop off of Kyo and chase Maju.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Longman wrote:Maju is the one riding and he has ultimate charge of the course here, unless you guys decide to jump off. Too many crazy antics with the dinosaur and I will make Cha rolls to see if Maju can pull off the feat.
OOC: Sure, that's why I posted as speech in blue. I know Rostam is only along for the ride. If Maju decides the ride is over, Rostam will struggle along on foot.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Round resolution -

Maju jumps off the dinosaur and readies his familiar and talks to his efreeti
Roastam jumps off and gets ready.
Eliias jumps off and gets ready.
Teruk and men advance to join the party.

EDITED: The air elemental appears back over the wall of fire and comes straight towards you all. It tries to attack Elias, but the effect of Rostam's Protection From Evil wards the creature away!

The creature's speed was astonishing. When not engaged ferrying creatures out of the WOF, it picks up to 120 yards in ten seconds.

Kyo is terrified by the thing and is freed from the effects of the charm. She fails her morale roll and flees back away from the party.

You'd presume the pirate mage is still inside the WOF. The efreeti is still 50 yards back from you. He will narrow its radius next round and then we'll see what happens.

New round - can you all please state actions. You are 70 yards from from the WOF. Elias is currently engaged in melee with the air elemental. Everyone else can act freely.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Can Elias see any figures in the wall of fire?

DM: No. It's 20 high and red / purple. I think Maju's familiar is ready to fly into the air to prepare for an attack on the mage, but has not done so yet.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Stay close to me and do not provoke the spirit of the air!
Ormazd will protect us from the pirate's servant so we can punish its master.

OOC: Can the entire group move closer to the wall of fire while staying within 10' of Rostam? I would propose to do that if possible.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju sees what's happening and holds close to Rostam. He readies himself for spell-casting, and calls back to the Efreeti, "Don't worry about damaging him further. Drop the wall of fire!"

OOC: Again, this might be a mistake. Gulp...
quozl

Post by quozl »

Teruk has his men ready their spears.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I have decided to roll initiative here because things are getting complicated.

The air elemental - 6
(Ash - 6)
Teruk - 5
Rostam - 4
Teruk's men - 4
Elias - 3
The pirate mage - 3
Maju - 2

The first thing that happens is that the air elemental attacks again. It's too stupid to work out that it can't hit anyone within 20 feet of Rostam, so its action is wasted.

Teruk, Rostam, Elias and Teruk's men all hold their actions.

Suddenly, the twirling form of the whirlwind disappears! It occurs to both Maju and Elias that the pirate mage seems somehow to have responded to your plan before it even happened...

Almost at the same time, Maju calls out for the wall of fire to be deactivated, and the efreeti obeys. The wall of fire is now gone.

You can now all see the figure of the pirate mage, standing about 75 yards from you, on the sand. Another pirate on the camel is a further 45 yards back from him.

NOW -

Everyone who delayed their actions this round may act, provided that it is to fire a missile weapon, or cast a spell.

AND THEN...
We move to a new round, Most of you will act before the pirate mage in this round, as well.