Misc. Ideas

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Misc. Ideas

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm

From time to time I have a weird idea that could work for a BFRPG game, never has happened this to you?

So, instead of let them in my head or fill the forum with those ideas I thought about doing this post: Miscellaneous Ideas where I and everyone else can put those weird, game-changing mechanics or discusse the one someone else put.

Lest begin with some Misc. Ideas for Fighter:

-Fighters get to roll one damage die greater at melee combat.
-When missing a melee attack by up to 2 points he can do a brawling attach at -2 (-4 if kicking)

Every class has some extra goodie that increases at every level, fighters only have their HD, and, for some, that is not enough. This idea takes into consideration the fighter's level:

A fighter of higher level than his opponent gets a minor advantage
A fighter up to 4 or more levels higher than his opponent gets a mayor advantage

Minor Advantages:
- 1.5 times damage
- Extra attack if first attack misses
- Extra attack if first attack hits

Mayor Advantages:
- Double damage
- Extra attack
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
User avatar
Clever_Munkey
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:08 am
Location: Ames, Iowa

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:12 am

Here's a weather generation system I created about a year ago that I plan on using in a hex crawl I'm writing. It's definitely best used before a session, or with a computer because it's a little too slow for an improv tool.

there are 3 "sliders" one for wind, precipitation, and temperature.

For each slider roll 2dx and subtract the average (the average of 2dx is x+1)
then move the slider by this amount.

This allows for drastic changes from the average, but not from one extreme to another, because the most it can change by is |x-1|.

Ex:
Temperature: Roll 2d20 -> 18; 18 - 21 = -3 so the temperature drops 3 steps
Precipitation: Roll 2d20 -> 26; 26 - 21 = 5 so the precipitation rises 5 steps
Wind: Roll 2d20 -> 35; 35 - 21 = 14 so the wind speed rises by 14 steps

The second part is to try to figure out when the weather occurs:

For this I roll 2d12 - 1 to get the number of hours that pass before the weather change occurs.

So if I get 14 hours then 14 hours from the last change in weather the temperature would drop 3 steps, and so on.

This allows me to foreshadow changes in weather and for players to make choices about where and when to take shelter or not.

Note that the slider gives the relative effects for the region, season, and time of day. For instance in a desert in the summer the days are hot, and nights are cold, but the slider might read the same for both.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
User avatar
Clever_Munkey
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:08 am
Location: Ames, Iowa

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 am

On a related note to the weather generation; wind direction.

If I don't already have a starting pont I use the table given in the core rules with 1d8 instead of 1d12, then for changes in direction I roll 2d4 and use the table below.

2 135 deg CCW 1/16
3 90 deg CCW 1/8
4 45 deg CCW 3/16
5 Prevailing Direction 1/4
6 45 deg CW 3/16
7 90 deg CW 1/8
8 135 deg CW 1/16

Also: If you feel like moving the temperature slider based on time of day the hottest time is around 15:00 and the coldest is just after sunrise.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
User avatar
The Angry Monk
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:43 am

I like these ideas. I'm with you on the point about fighter "special powers". I'd like to offer fighters a choice of special skills at levels 3, 5, 7, etc.
Great ideas. I will be stealing these. ;)
Dimirag wrote:From time to time I have a weird idea that could work for a BFRPG game, never has happened this to you?

So, instead of let them in my head or fill the forum with those ideas I thought about doing this post: Miscellaneous Ideas where I and everyone else can put those weird, game-changing mechanics or discusse the one someone else put.

Lest begin with some Misc. Ideas for Fighter:

-Fighters get to roll one damage die greater at melee combat.
-When missing a melee attack by up to 2 points he can do a brawling attach at -2 (-4 if kicking)

Every class has some extra goodie that increases at every level, fighters only have their HD, and, for some, that is not enough. This idea takes into consideration the fighter's level:

A fighter of higher level than his opponent gets a minor advantage
A fighter up to 4 or more levels higher than his opponent gets a mayor advantage

Minor Advantages:
- 1.5 times damage
- Extra attack if first attack misses
- Extra attack if first attack hits

Mayor Advantages:
- Double damage
- Extra attack
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
User avatar
quozl
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:05 am

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:25 am

ACKS gives a cool bonus to fighters that is very simple:

At 1st level, fighters get +1 damage to all damage rolls. At 3rd level, that increases to +2. Then every 3 levels after that, it increases again. They also get to cleave so that if they kill an enemy, they immediately get a free attack. I've used both of those with Basic Fantasy and everyone loves it when the fighter gets in the swing of things.
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:46 am

The Angry Monk wrote:I'd like to offer fighters a choice of special skills at levels 3, 5, 7, etc.
This idea works with those levels:

Every Fighter starts at level 1 with:
1 Advantage die.
1 Boost die.
1 Specialization.

At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, and so on, the Fighter get to choose a new Advantage, Boost or Specialization.

Option: He can not have more than 4 of each.
Option: The players choose a priority on the above benefits of 1st, 2nd and 3rd
At levels 3, 9 and 15 he gets a new 1st priority benefit
At levels 5, 11 and 17 he gets a new 2nd priority benefit
Finally, at level 7, 13 and 19 he gets a new 3rd priority benefit

Advantage: These can be use once per day and allows the fighter to roll an extra d20 and use the better result
Boost: These can be also use once per day, but are d6s that can be added to roll such as attack, damage or saving throw rolls, it can also be used to increase AC against a particular hit.
Specialization: These are used to improve an Advantage or Boost, when choosing one, the fighter chooses a specific use, such as an attack Advantage or an AC Boost:
-When use on an Advantage the player can choose to roll the second die after the first one is rolled.
-When use on a Boost that die becomes a d8 instead of a d6.

Its possible to specialize in a specialization, turning it into a Mastery
-When use on an Advantage if the second d20 is of a lesser value than the first one, that d20 is not expended.
-When use on a Boost that die becomes a d10 instead of a d8.
Last edited by Dimirag on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
User avatar
The Angry Monk
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Great idea! Yoink!
quozl wrote:ACKS gives a cool bonus to fighters that is very simple:

At 1st level, fighters get +1 damage to all damage rolls. At 3rd level, that increases to +2. Then every 3 levels after that, it increases again. They also get to cleave so that if they kill an enemy, they immediately get a free attack. I've used both of those with Basic Fantasy and everyone loves it when the fighter gets in the swing of things.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Note that in ACKS everyone can cleave, even magic users, even monsters! they are just limited by their level
IIRC fighters and monsters get 1 cleave per level, everyone else gets 1 cleave per 2 levels
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
User avatar
Maliki
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:22 pm

I like how ACKS handled their fighter, but would do things a little different for BFRPG.

I like cleave, but would limit it to only fighters, with 1 cleave at 1st level, and an additional cleave at levels 5,10, 15 and 20.

For the damage bonus, I would grant a +1 at level 4, and an additional +1 at levels 8,12,16 and 20.
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Misc. Ideas

Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:47 pm

I would try to give it something at levels 3, 9, 15 and 19 (plus other levels if needed). Those are the Fighter's Dead Levels (those on which he only gains HP)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests