The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Longman »

(She's probably about 4th level same as you).

My mistress said that she saw great magic about the skulls, but the gems themselves were mere decoration. It seems to her now the the gems held some power, too, which she could not see. She thinks the cat creature is a lycanthrope, summoned somehow, similar to these nisha that you have been fighting in the woods.

We must find it, and then gems, and destroy both.

Soem time ago I was followed in the street but an ordinary looking woman. I was quite certain she was tailing me, from the university gate, everywhere i went in the town. I gave her the slip, and turned the tables on her - I ended up following her back to these warehouses I spoke of. My mistress asks us to go there and find out who she is.

As to boosting Rillow Ember from the university, Alicia responds that Rillow is unlikely to take such a step right now, for if she was discovered, it may mean being removed from elvish society, permanently.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Yeah, we figured that out too." Freya remarks wryly.

Tiana asks, "The three of us against two Nisha are grim odds. What other help from Ember do you think we can arrange? Is Lucilla in town or off on another errand? Bruce, what about you? Know of any other bodyguards who would be good for this investigation?"

Longman wrote:No one gets followed...
Or so you lead me to believe! :)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

My friend Lucilla is at the university but only I am allowed egress at the moment so I'm afraid it will be myself alone.

Bruce says: well, I could ask some of the MacAllans and Cartwrights at the smithy, I suppose. No harm in asking is there? Do you want to go?
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Please, dear Bruce. I think this will require a mix of stealth and muscle." replies Bruce.
"And quite a lot of luck, and no end of avoiding the xenophobic guardsmen." She thinks in her mind.

"Use your judgment how much to tell them -- ideally not too much." adds Freya.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Um...I think it would be better if one of you ladies came along with me" says Bruce. "They know I'm working for you, so they'll want to talk to you."

(Technically this is hiring retainers and should be done by PCs. NPCs cannot hire retainers on behalf of PCS.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

Makes sense!

"Freya, why don't you go. Alicia and I have much to catch up on."

Ideally, Tiana finds out Ember's side about the local politics. She'll also share what Freya told her from Sun.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

FREYA TAKES ON RETAINERS

Post by Longman »

Freya and the dwarf walk back to the smithy in the evening.

No one has been inside this place yet except Bruce. The accommodation section is pretty neat and tidy and dark, and with very low ceilings and wood panelled walls. Lots of pipe smoke, too. Freya finds it oppressive.

She chats to some dwarves, notably Left Cartwright who is boss around here. What does she say? This will make a difference to your reaction roll.

- - - -

Meanwhile, Alicia and Tiana get chatting. She is clearly trustworthy. The current elvish situation is very much that the Sun Elves are planning to withdraw totally from the human lands, but the Moon Elves don't want to, but are also trying to avoid a schism.

You may not remember this but you (Tiana) are one of three elvish explorers sent by Rillow to find the Moon Gate and the way back into the Moonglade Estate. The others have been exploring to the north of you by some distance, and they started about the same time as you. One of these has gone missing and hasn't ever reported back since April and is suspected dead. The other one has come back in July one and left a report like you did, and is expected back again soon.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1169&p=46412&hilit=rillow#p46412

I will write the 'report' soon.
Woe

Post by Woe »

As she enters the smithy, Freya leans closely to the dwarf. "Tips?" she asks quietly.

"Just look him in the eye and talk straight. He doen't like brown-nosers, or people who hide things" replies Bruce.

"I'm looking for a few bodyguards for tonight, and Bruce here tells me you're some of the best in town. Interested in hearing more about the details? It's legit and legal, I assure you."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"There'd have to be something in it. I presume it's dangerous, and also secretive, seeing as you don't just get the watch involved. We'll need danger money. Up front, too."
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Dangerous, yes. That's why we are looking for real fighters and not the watch. But not
secretive. I'm tired of Brant being harassed by this panther while the watch stands idle. I'll put some up front. More when we track the beast to its lair, and the remainder if you fight it. I'll pay out injured and dead too, if needed. But ye ain't getting it all up front.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot