The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Woe »

"Will you attest to that with Father Morton?" asks Freya.

(I assume confirmation)

Freya will nod at Bruce, then the door. Bruce gets the hint and goes to the door. "Father Morton, a moment please? We have a still chance to stop evil stalking the streets tonight."

(insert story here!)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Morton: "Oh! Well, that is a matter for the watch! Not ungodly strangers like you! The creature followed you in, no doubt! Your kind always attract trouble!"

Moron is a pious jerk, that much is clear.

I take it you mean the front door? Bruce goes there and looks out, perhaps thirty seconds after the cat woman escaped. He spies a black and white cat under the attic gables of a building over the road. It could be the cat-woman! Or...it could be just a cat.

There's no sign of her anywhere else in the small street the chapel is on. She could be many places by now, round the corner, in laneways etc.

Freya can track, but she will be at -20%.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Bruce listens with the patience of a dwarf. Once the pious jerk is done, Bruce will kindly say, "That's a great idea, Father. You should bring it up with the watch. Make sure they believe you, because I'm concerned for your safety. That creature may be back to tie up loose ends."

Once Freya hears that, she'll look at Celia and say, "That's a good point. Do you have somewhere safe to stay for the next few days?"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

If your intention was to make Morton anxious, it has worked.

"What! The creature came for you, surely? Nothing to do with us godly folk!"

But you can tell he's not convinced. Celia avoids talking to the elf, but simply says "Father, what if it does come back? I have seen it! It knows that I know it!" She begins to wail.

Did you have a purpose in doing that or did you just want to be mean? :D

Also - now what?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Excellent! Good that Morton is worried. Hopefully he lives through the night. Celia too.

"Father Morton, that creature has slain other followers of the One God. Why would it stop now from slaying more? I don't know what more to do, other than hope you're safe and maybe call the Watch. It's probably fled by now." replies Bruce.

(insert some incoherent rambling from Celia)

"Where is the nearest Watch post? We should be able to protect you until we transfer you to the Watch for safekeeping."

(wait for Watch location)

They'll move toward the nearest post, weapons sheathed, via the front door (more populated exit). Bruce will talk just enough about the Boldenwald Nisha to keep Morton and Celia anxious without having them rout into a full-on panic.

We can play through this either on-page or roll-up. Since Morton is likely to be a believable witness for the Watch, I'd like for a) him to live; b) him to attest what the panther looks like. Maybe we can get an ID. Extra credit if he mentions that the party was trying to subdue the creature but Morton insisted that they release it. :twisted:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

I decided to 'roll-play' this.

Morton and Celia are going NOWHERE with you, and refuse to budge, but they do direct you to a watch post on a main street, and Morton grudgingly agrees that you tried to tussle with the cat-woman, and he may have made a mistake.

If you want to be at the watch post, you can. Otherwise you are still hanging about at this silly chapel.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Father Morton, I don't think that's wise. The watch won't investigate without your sagious testimony, and we can't defend you if we leave to bring the watch here." says Bruce. "I'm afraid what could happen you while we are gone, and I don't want a pastor of the One God to fall to such a villanous creature."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Again - Morton refuses to go with you and mutters something about not being safe with the pair of you, either.

I will take my chances with the cat creature and do not think it will come back! Indeed, I believe it only came in here because of the two of you! I am not falling for your lies!

You cannot convince him. This has also been drawn out enough. You can either go to the watch yourself and ask them to come back to the chapel, or move on and do something else.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Will Celia come with us? I don't want the watch to come back to a double murder scene with the panther woman claiming to have seen the whole thing.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

BTW, I had another idea. If neither Father Morton nor Celia will go to the watch with the pair, Bruce will go to the watch while Freya guards them (assuming his holiness permits it). I think Bruce will be ok getting to the watch, and I think it is fair to expect the watch will listen to him. Right?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot