Chapter 5: Alarums

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
crazycrypt

Re: Chapter V

Post by crazycrypt »

Rosisha wrote:"Sure" Simon says with ease, flipping the gun over to hand it over while holding the barrel. "No need to keep this out where anyone can get it. However, I suggest we inform the Captain quietly. I don't think the passengers can handle another.. upset. I don't want to make things hard on them, or the Captain. What do you think?" Simon smiles, with an earnest desire to please.
Tommy takes the gun from Lars, "I agree," and with that Tommy will place his back in his holster and will hold on to the other gun for now.
Rosisha wrote:"I just wonder.." he pauses and his face goes distant. "I've had this feeling. A queer itching at my gut, that something is most definitely not right. My grandmother would tell me that I was being spoken to by the faerie, mischievous beings of Irish mythology." He grunts, "Though I'm thinking that all of this violence has just reminded me of my days fighting the Republicans, have you ever been involved in street to street fighting?" He shudders, "Brutal. I keep expecting a sniper to be shooting at us next. Or a grenade to be tossed out a door. I know, silly. But I can't shake it."
As they talk, Tommy is going to start heading back to the staircase to go back upstairs. "You won't like the fact that we have no idea what land we are over right now, and looking down we saw them setting up some kind of guarded tent..." pauses to see any reaction from Lars, "...they are also talking about sending down a party to see where we are before we attempt to land, but I'll let the Captain tell you more about it when we get there."

Tommy will allow Lars to lead up as he doesn't feel comfortable with Lars at his back after what just happened. He will also be cautious enough that if he sees anyone he will place the second gun in his belt/pants at his back, and if they don't see anyone, when they get to the lounge door he will put it away then. When they get to the Captain, Tommy will, in a whisper, ask if he can talk to him privately so they may tell him what happened without alarming anyone else.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars gladly leads the way, "A tent? Guarded? Where are we?" He rolls his eyes, "If we do land, and I'm sent on the landing party, is there any chance I can keep that gun? Or any other weapons we find on this ship?" He chuckles, "I think, in the name of justice, I should point out that I always mocked my poor grandmother and her superstitions. I was a man of mathematics and science. I think she is having the last laugh."

Once they find the Captain, Simon will give the same story: he found the gun, heard a noise. He reported to the bridge, and was told to investigate. He did so, encountered Brandon, he fired at him, was sure he hit, but Brandon escaped. He believes that Brandon might have tried to set up another bomb, and that the hidden gun proves that there are other hidden weapons and devices on board. They need to do a full search, and he will skip his down shift in order to make it happen. He is earnest and sincere, betting on the good will he earned for disposing of the first bomb, which, hopefully, everyone will remember that he was the hero of that affair. He reminds the captain that he successfully defused the last bomb, and would feel most comfortable being the one to do the search, as if he could defuse the last one, he can defuse any other little surprises that Brandon might have for them.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Rosisha wrote:Lars gladly leads the way, "A tent? Guarded? Where are we?" He rolls his eyes, "If we do land, and I'm sent on the landing party, is there any chance I can keep that gun? Or any other weapons we find on this ship?" He chuckles, "I think, in the name of justice, I should point out that I always mocked my poor grandmother and her superstitions. I was a man of mathematics and science. I think she is having the last laugh."
"Since the Captain just told me who had weapons on board and who didn't I figure it better to be safe then sorry, however, I'm sure the Captain will give you one should you be on the landing party. As for whether he gives you this one or one of the Luger's we got off the others I couldn't tell you."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

GM Note: You've moved along nicely, but I must clear up a few things.

As soon as Tommy Mansel appeared, also waving a gun, on the stairs, the head cook ducked back into the kitchen and closed the door. Almost immediately, Lt. Scott came through the crew passageway door, with a Luger at the ready.

"Leftenant Mansel, Mister Lars... is there a problem here?" Upon hearing the explanation, Scott nodded. "Tommy, go ahead and take Lars to the Captain. I'll let Briggs know."

Mansel and Lars met Will Thornton in the passenger corridor. Behind him were a few other passengers, who quickly moved aside as Mansel and Lars advanced. Will followed them back to the lounge.

Upon hearing the entire story, the Captain said, "Well, Mister Lars, I'm prone to agree with you. We must make a search of the ship for any other hidden weapons or dangerous devices. I'm assigning you the task of searching the envelope. Mister Greaves, I'd like you to search the passenger cargo hold. You'll need to look in all the bags."

At this, several of the passengers began to protest. "I understand," said Pelton, "calm down. I understand. I could tell you how trustworthy Jacob Greaves is, but how would you know to trust me. So... Mister Evans! Would you consent to assist Jacob, here, in his task? Just to be sure that nothing happens to anyone's belongings."

Assuming Artie consents...

"Good, now, the same thing must be done in the passenger quarters. Mister Bishop will attend to that. Please be present when your room is searched, so we can be sure that nothing goes missing there also. I'll assign other crewmen to search the remainder of B deck. In the meantime, we'll continue descending toward the tent below."

Thus dismissed, Greaves and Bishop left the lounge to go about their duties. Bishop called out, "I'll be starting with room fifteen, and working my way forward. I'll leave number sixteen to last, since Mister Evans will be busy for a while."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mak

Post by Mak »

Solomoriah wrote:Bishop called out, "I'll be starting with room fifteen, and working my way forward. I'll leave number sixteen to last, since Mister Evans will be busy for a while."
"I appreciate the courtesy, Mr Bishop, but it's not necessary. I've got plenty of nothin', and that's about all anyone'll find worth taking!"*

Artie turns and follows Greaves to the cargo hold. He's not too keen on rummaging through other folks' stuff, but he's pleased to know the captain considers him trustworthy. Unless, that is, Pelton just wants to get him out of the way...

Post by crazycrypt »

"Anything you'll have me to do sir?" Tommy will ask the Captain.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars nods, "Yes, sir" and heads immediately to the envelope. He will search it carefully, because Brandon was loose, and he must keep up appearances. He will also take a moment to peak out the crows nest to see if he can see anything else, but will primarily focus on searching the envelope.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:"Anything you'll have me to do sir?" Tommy will ask the Captain.
"Stay here," replied Captain Pelton. "I'd like you with me a bit longer."

"Captain, I'd like to discuss our plans," said Reginald Monday, having resumed his seat at the Captain's table. "Note that there are seven natives down there. I propose we send a team of no more than seven to meet with them. Myself, of course, and Will and Catherine; your Leftenant Mansel, if you can spare him, and perhaps that fellow Lars, he seems a handy sort to have along if things turn against us."

"I'd like to volunteer," said Steve Vance. "I've had some experience in tight situations, and I know a little about getting along in a foreign land."

"Very well," said Monday, approvingly. "And for the seventh... Captain, I know you'll think me strange for suggesting this, but I'd like to take Evans also."

"The piano player?" said the Captain incredulously. "Why?"

"He handled himself well last night, I'm told, and, well... call it a feeling. I have good instincts, Captain, it's what got me this far."

"As you say, sir," said the Captain. "If he's willing. Leftenant, I'll expect you to obey Mister Monday's orders as you would mine. When Lars returns from his search, assuming he doesn't find some new threat in the process, let him know I've assigned him to Mister Monday also. And give him that gun he found, he seemed to know well enough how to use it. I'll issue the two captured weapons to Evans and Thornton. Unless you'd like one, Mister Vance?"

"No, sir," replied Vance. "I have a Colt forty-five and ammunition in my stateroom. I was just getting around to telling you that. I guess I'd better come clean... I'm employed by the United States government."

"I see," said the Captain, appearing a bit disgruntled. "On official business on my ship?"

"I'm sorry, I can't say," he replied.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

"No problem sir, I will tell Lars as soon as I see him. Mr. Monday, it looks as though I am at your service."
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Will agrees with everything that Monday is saying and is glad that he has taken a leadership position on this. He'll be torn between happy or worried at Vance's declaration, but will say "excellent" nodding at another person who can handle a gun. When offered he'll take the weapon and ensure the safety is on.

He'll ask Catherine, "should we all prepare on how to approach the natives? To ensure no one is unintentionally insulting?" He'll also ask, to clarify, and mostly to Catherine, "should we have a spokesman? Is is best to only have one of us do the talking? Whether it's you, or," and he'll smile, "if we think the natives will have issues dealing with 'just a woman' you can translate for Mr. Monday here. I want to be as prepared as possible, there's too many unknowns not to ensure everyone is on point with how, initially, we should act."

After that discussion, if it hasn't been brought up, Will (now prepared) will ask, "okay, when do we go? The sooner the better so we can start figuring out what's going on."
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.