Village Map Needed

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Village Map Needed

Post by Solomoriah »

Is there anyone here who is any good at village maps? I need a map of the village of Wellonas for my Ruby Mountain adventure; it will eventually be in print, so the map would need to be donated with full rights.

Wellonas is a small village that used to be very prosperous. There should be three or four abandoned warehouses, used by the merchants who once traded with the dwarves in the mountain. The town square is a circle with a now-defunct fountain in the middle and two taverns, one of which is abandoned. The village rests in a small valley, so it has no wall as it is guarded by a fortress built across the pass into the valley.

Anyone interested?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dustinian

Re: Village Map Needed

Post by Dustinian »

I'm interested, and there's something I want to try for mapping. Any major bodies of water? Valleys are often carved by rivers. If so, do the abandoned warehouses reside at the waterfront (assuming the river is wide enough for shipping) or are they along the road (assuming overland travel of goods via caravan)? I will work on this and get back to you by Sunday (10/2).
Dustinian
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wellonas is in a small valley carved out by a stream coming down from the mountains. The dwarves built a reservoir higher up, but the stream still flows down their spillway. The stream runs around the edge of the town.

The mountain is generally north of town, the reservoir north and west, and the stream runs generally to the southeast (with the road leading to town more or less parallel to it).
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Attached to this post is a low-res "preview" of what I drew.

There are things I like, and there are things I don't like. I also took a few liberties, staying within your overall bounds.

Let me know how far off I am, and I'll be glad to do another draft.

To keep the isometric view consistent, the next draft will be on isometric paper. OR I may abandon the isometric view entirely, and switch to a vector program (like LibreDraw) for a pure aerial view.

Let me know your thoughts on that as well!
Attachments
Low-res preview.
Low-res preview.
wellonas.jpg (127.15 KiB) Viewed 8800 times
Dustinian
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's so pretty, I hate to say a thing. But I guess I gotta.

The "farmer's cartpath" should be the "trade road" as that is the direction to "civilization." For that matter, the "forest road" should probably be the "farmer's cartpath." The valley has basically one way in and out, to the southeast.

I'd ask you to call the current "trade road" another "lane" instead.

Otherwise... crap, I really can't say a word. It's really, really nice.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Wow, that's a great map! :)
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Solomoriah wrote:It's so pretty, I hate to say a thing. But I guess I gotta.
No, I'm glad you are. I'm definitely, definitely doing another version, so if you have more feedback you're hanging onto out of politeness, unload it.
Solomoriah wrote:The "farmer's cartpath" should be the "trade road" as that is the direction to "civilization." For that matter, the "forest road" should probably be the "farmer's cartpath." The valley has basically one way in and out, to the southeast.
Got it. Based on that, I'd like to move the warehouses to the southeast of the village. I'm imaging they'd naturally have cropped up around the trade road, with the "village" spreading out deeper in the valley as the villagers quarry rocks, log trees, grow crops, etc.
Solomoriah wrote:I'd ask you to call the current "trade road" another "lane" instead.
No problem. "Trade Lane," though? Something about it sounds weird to me. That's a lot of long 'A' sound. I mean, It's your town, I'll do it. But I wanted to check in on it.
Solomoriah wrote:Otherwise... crap, I really can't say a word. It's really, really nice.
Hey, thanks. It was fun to do. Work's crazy every week, so weeknight time is at a premium. And I'm travelling this weekend. Is next weekend (10/16) soon enough for the second (and hopefully final) draft?
Dustinian
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dustinian wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:I'd ask you to call the current "trade road" another "lane" instead.
No problem. "Trade Lane," though? Something about it sounds weird to me. That's a lot of long 'A' sound. I mean, It's your town, I'll do it. But I wanted to check in on it.
No, I mean some other name that is a "lane" or "street" or some such. Not a "road" implying it goes a long distance.
Dustinian wrote:Hey, thanks. It was fun to do. Work's crazy every week, so weeknight time is at a premium. And I'm travelling this weekend. Is next weekend (10/16) soon enough for the second (and hopefully final) draft?
No hurry. Like most Basic Fantasy projects, it will be a long time before this thing gets printed.
Grimfall

Post by Grimfall »

Dustinian wrote:No problem. "Trade Lane," though? Something about it sounds weird to me. That's a lot of long 'A' sound. I mean, It's your town, I'll do it. But I wanted to check in on it.
"Trade Lane" is like a route from one region to another, "Asia-North America trade lane", which possibly explains why it sounded disharmonious.

Your rough sketch looks pretty cool, can't wait to see the final!
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Quick message to say I haven't forgotten about this. Work's been crazy (again). We have a big deadline looming, and I've been staying late, and coming home exhausted. I've taken pen in hand to take the feedback. I'll try to get something posted late Sunday.
Dustinian