Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Clever_Munkey

Crystalline Egret

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Crystalline Egret
Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 5**
No. of Attacks: 2 Claws or 1 Bite or 1 Breath
Damage: 1d6 claws, 1d8 bite, 2d8 breath
Movement: 10' Fly: 70'
No. Appearing: 1d2
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale 12
Treasure Type: None + 1 small diamond (~300 gp)
XP: 450

This construct appears to be a very large (5 ft. tall) white egret at first glance, but upon further inspection it can be seen that it is in fact one large piece of ice. Because of the egret’s pure white color it can surprise on 1-4 on a d6 roll when there are snowy or cloudy conditions. Once every 1d4+1 rounds the crystalline egret is capable of “breathing” shards of ice toward a single opponent up to 10 feet away. These icy shards do 2d8 damage, but the target gets a Save versus Dragon Breath for half damage. The icy shards are hard and sharp, causing physical damage so cold resistance is not really a factor and does not grant any bonus in this case. When the egret is not breathing these ice splinters it attacks with its beak (bite) or claws.

The creator of a crystalline egret places one diamond in the head of the egret as a focus for the animating magic. The creator can telepathically give it a command through the diamond which it will obey with all of the creator's intentions, although this does not necessarily mean the creator knows what the egret is doing. The egret will begin to melt in temperatures above freezing unless special precautions are taken by the creator (protection from fire spell is probably appropriate). If unprotected the Egret will take an extra 1d6 damage from attacks involving fire or heat.

EDITS: I made a few text changes to rearrange and clarify a couple sentences. Also broken up into 2 paragraphs. Hopefully, all acceptable changes. -- SmootRK
Also, HD listed as 5**, I don't see why 2 */specials are there. Probably should be 5* and have XP adjusted too.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Monsters 2015-2016

Post by Solomoriah »

I had an idea, but it was too hard to post it in the forum so I wrote a supplement. Please feel free to add the contents to the book you are putting together.
Attachments
BF-Dracomander-Supplement-r1.pdf
(86.71 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
BF-Dracomander-Supplement-r1.odt
(28.62 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Clever_Munkey

Spitting Slug

Post by Clever_Munkey »

This one is a doozie. I probably tried to do too much at one time.

Spitting Slug
Armor Class: 11
Hit Dice: 2**
No. of Attacks: 1 bite, or spit
Damage: 1d4 + special or special
Movement: 10'
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: MU 1
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: None
XP: 125

These gastropods are generally about the size of a medium pig and weighing about 500 lbs, although some have been seen that are larger than oxen. They can be found in damp shaded areas feeding on detritus, and anything else that it can catch.

Although generally slow moving the spitting slug possesses a muscular internal "mouth" that it can extend outward rapidly to engulf a limb sized object, and latch on. Inside the mouth are small spines that secrete a paralyzing toxin (save versus poison + Con bonus, or be unable to move), and digestive acids dealing 1 damage per round for as long as the slug is attached. A character wearing armor automatically saves, and does not take the acid damage* (see below). Characters that are affect by the toxin get a save each round to overcome the poison. If the victim is not paralyzed treat this similar to wrestling with the victim as the defender.

A slug which has successfully paralyzed its prey will attempt to swallow the victim, expanding its body to fit as much food as it can. Most human sized creatures take 1d6+3 rounds to engulf a limb, and as little as 1d4+1 rounds for smaller player races. Even when engulfed a player may continue to make saving throws against the poison, or try to escape if not paralyzed. Any attacks against the slug while it is attached will deal half damage to the victim (minimum 0; players can elect to only deal 1 damage if they would otherwise deal more).

Additionally, true to its name, once per day the spitting slug is able to spit a glob of its digestive acid that does 1d8 damage + 1 damage per round for 3 rounds on a hit (A save versus death ray + Dex bonus negates the damage per round). Armor may also negate the damage from the acid*. The acid is stored in special glands within the slug, so simply touching or even stabbing into the slug will not cause the object to dissolve.

*The acid is capable of dissolving armor. Every point of damage from the acid reduces the armor’s AC by 1 to a minimum of 11 at which point the armor has dissolved beyond being useful, and the acid simply does damage to the victim instead.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

chiisu81 wrote:Cool monster. :) If it's not a giant spitting slug, I would keep its size at the large pig, not as large as an oxen. With that I have trouble seeing it expand so large as to consume a human, maybe stick with things up to its size; it can still latch on to someone's arm and corrode it off to eat. Also, I would reduce number appearing, either 1d6 or 1d4.

Yeah, the oxen part was mostly for flavor, although I could make a giant variety :twisted:.

I wasn't really sure how to do the eating thing. I didn't want to make it able to eat people whole, but I also didn't want to deal with missing limbs. I thought missing limbs might make the monster more complicated, but I suppose it's pretty straight forward from a hand waving perspective. I've made the suggested changes.

FYI the inspiration for the mouth came from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNxQfVNVR8
SerGavin

Bazeleys Clockwork Armature

Post by SerGavin »

Bazeleys Clockwork Armature
Armour Class: 19
Hit Dice: 10*
No. of attacks: 2 slashes/ one ray or steam
1d10/1d10/2d8 or 5d8
Movement: 40'
No. appearing: 1
Save as: Fighter 10
Morale: 12
Treasure type: G
XP: 1390

Bazeleys Clockwork armature is, as the name would suggest, a massive 40' tall bronze clockwork contraption that best resembles an oblate armoured disc with four long blade tipped segmented legs extending out from a recessed band around the middle of the creature through which cogs and various mechanical components can be seen. From the front extends a long brontosaurus like neck upwards, ending in a single flat glowing "eye" surrounded by three armoured flaps that can close around it when in danger. The eye has the ability to fire a red ray of energy at a single target that does 2d8 damage in a single pulse. It is also able to expel super heated steam from nozzles surrounding the eye, infrequently (once per five rounds). Which inflicts 5d8 damage in a 60' cone. On being hit by the steam a save vs death ray must be made to avoid being knocked prone. The Armature can strike out with it's front legs doing 1d10 damage each and will do this in addition to and independently from the actions of the head.
The armature takes only a quarter of the damage from fire based attacks and the impact of very hot projectiles such as fireballs allows it to fire its steam in it's next action. conversely electricity based attacks such as lightning bolt meddle with the delicate interior components causing double damage.

If the head can successfully be retrieved there is a 50% chance to recover an engraved bronze cylinder that can fire a ray of energy 120' doing 2d8 damage. the cylinder will have 2d12 charges remaining and 2d6 charges may be regained by striking it with a lightning bolt.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
SerGavin

Imperial Griffon

Post by SerGavin »

Imperial Griffon
Armour Class: 19
Hit Dice: 9
No. of attacks: 2 claws and 1 bite
Damage: 2d4 claws, 3d6 bite
Movement: 40' (10') Fly 120' (10')
No. appearing: Wild 1, Lair 1d4
Save as: Fighter 9
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: F
XP: 1075

The Imperial Griffon is a rare and majestic creature resembling a tiger with the head, foreclaws and wings of an eagle. From nose to tail an adult imperial griffon can measure as much as 15 feet and is a fearsome sight to behold. Depending on the climate it is found in an imperial griffon can be colored anywhere from lighter browns to white as snow. Broad muscular feathered wings emerge from the creatures back and can span around 40 feet or more. A mature imperial griffon weighs around 900 pounds.

An imperial griffon will nest in caves, in cliff faces and mountains, either in extremely cold climates or very humid ones where it swoops from the skies to prey on pretty much anything smaller or weaker than itself. Imperial griffons have a particular taste for horses and other equine animals favoring such over all other prey. While small family groups may nest near each other, they are otherwise solitary animals, tending to hunt alone.

Despite the difficulty of keeping such dangerous creatures with voracious appetites, some have trained imperial griffons as loyal and hardy mounts. As a mount, an imperial griffon can carry up to 700 pounds normally, or heavily loaded up to 1400 pounds.
Imperial griffons are extremely proud and dangerous creatures as well as possessing a voracious appetite making it difficult to train and feed but if raised in captivity with copious amounts of training which requires the Griffon to imprint on its trainer it can become a ferociously loyal and hardy mount for adventurers who take a more relaxed approach to number of fingers they possess. A light load for an Imperial Griffon is up to 700 pounds, a heavy load up to 1400.
EDIT: very minor text changes to (mostly) eliminate plural pronouns when possible. Modified British spellings to American to satisfy my spell checker (colour to color; though in general I like the old-world vibe that comes with the British spellings) Still need to address the last paragraph which is a mess (run on sentence needs broken up). The original text in is the quotation; I stripped it down considerably -- SmootRK
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I edited the pipe beast text while inserting it into AA1. In case you'd like to put the revised version into your document, here it is:
Pipe Beasts are unnatural arcane constructs, and are generally created to guard and protect specific rooms or items. Because of this singular focus one will attack anyone who enters the room or guarded area, with the exception of the person who created it, until the threat is destroyed or the pipe beast is.

A pipe beast is well-equipped for this type of duty with powerful pincer-like claws and a slashing tail. One can also spew a cone of pure acid every 4 rounds, dealing damage to everyone in its path. A successful save vs. Dragon Breath reduces this damage by half. The acid cone affects an area 60' long and is 20' wide at its furthest point. The pipe beast can only use this attack 3 times a day before it must recharge its supply.

Pipe beasts have a very hard, chitinous exoskeleton which provides ample protection against most weapons; further, because of their construction, fire seems to have no effect on them.
Now... does anyone know what these things are supposed to look like???
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Gilliadson

New Monster: Arachnea

Post by Gilliadson »

Infernal, Arachnea*
Armor Class: 16 (11)
Hit Dice: 6
No. of Attacks: 1 - bite, kiss or dagger
Damage: 1d6 bite + special, 1d6 Kiss + special, 1d4 + special
Movement: 60'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Magic-User 6
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: I
XP: 555

Appears as a strikingly beautiful, nude or elegantly dressed, young woman or as a giant black widow spider. She can cast spells in either form and is highly intelligent. She will attempt to seduce or cast charm person on her target to lure in for a kiss (woman form) or bite (spider form). She takes one round to change forms. She is highly magical in nature and can only be hit by magical or silvered weapons. She may utilize the following spell-like abilities at will in either form: charm person, teleport, hold person, web, suggestion, darkness 15' radius, ESP, and clairaudience (as the potion). She can also summon 1d6 giant poisonous spiders to her aid.

When in spider form, she has AC 16, attacks with a bite for 1d6 +3 damage per round for 6 rounds (save vs. Poison to avoid).

When in her beautiful human form she has AC 11. She generally avoids combat, instead preferring to use charm and suggestion to manipulate others to do her bidding. Her kiss will drain 1d6 hit points per round from a charmed or willing individual. The hit points drained from a kiss will heal Arachnea an equal amount and can even give her additional temporary hit points over and above her normal hit point maximum that last up to 1 hour after being drained. If it is impossible to avoid a fight, she may use a dagger (1d4 damage) that is poisoned with her own venom. The venom is weakened when used this way and only causes 2 extra points of damage for 3 rounds (6 points); save vs poison will halt such damage, though subsequent hit will require new save.

If she loses more than half her HP she will cast teleport on her next round and escape.

Edited with suggestions by: SmoolRK
Last edited by Gilliadson on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
chiisu81

Wolf Spider, Giant

Post by chiisu81 »

Creation by PuppetMaster from Monster Creations and Archive thread:

Wolf Spider, Giant
Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 9*
No. of Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d12 bite + poison
Movement: 50', jump 20’
No. Appearing: Solitary
Save As: Fighter 9
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: None
XP: 1,150

The Giant Wolf Spider is much like its normal size namesake. Each is on average about 3 feet tall and 5 feet long, colored in patterns of light and dark brown. The giant wolf spider does not build a web and does not have the ability to produce webs. One will normally make its lair in caves, ruins, or by burrowing into the ground.

A giant wolf spider is a swift and merciless hunter, preferring to either wait in hiding for prey to come by, but in some cases will chase prey down. Due to natural camouflage coloration, it is able to surprise prey on a roll of 1-3 on 1d6 when waiting motionless. The giant wolf spider is a powerful jumper, able to jump 20 feet up or forward. When waiting in ambush, one will wait until prey approaches within range of its jump and leap to attack (treat as a charge). When chasing prey, it will close to within 20 feet and leap for the kill.

Anyone bitten by a giant wolf spider must save vs. Poison or be paralyzed for 2d6 turns. A neutralize poison spell will negate this effect.
Last edited by SmootRK on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: language use to singular when possible, removal of abbreviations, combined movement/combat paragraph
PapersAndPaychecks

Re: New Monsters 2015-2016 (Field Guide 2?)

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

Glyph, Sapient

All stats: Do not apply.

One of the weirder creatures in the worlds of BFRPG is the Sapient Glyph. Many creatures make writings. The more literate ghouls scrawl graffitoes on the walls of their tombs, expressing their obscene hunger in verse or prose: demons pen missives of fury and contempt on the flayed skins of babies, mummies inscribe strange hieroglyphs in their pyramids, vampires may write of their thirst, werewolves of their rage, and dragons of their greed. Few of these writings are anything more than they seem. But those which are written by magical creatures and heavily charged with emotion may, when subjected to an intense magical field, form a Sapient Glyph - a kind of sentient writing.

Sapient Glyphs lack bodies and are completely sessile. They have no senses at all, no concept of time or the world outside. Their only means of release is if they are read. Thus until this happens, they more resemble traps, or curses, than monsters.

Reading a Glyph is not normally an easy task. They are usually couched in tongues which are alien, ancient, or both, and unless both language and alphabet are known to the reader (or translated via such magics as read languages) they will have no effect. If the reader understands the Glyph, he or she must immediately make a saving throw vs. death. If the saving throw is passed, the Glyph discharges its emotional burden through the character and is destroyed. The character will be incapacitated for 1d6 turns through the rush of feeling but suffers no other ill effects, and the writing will thereafter be merely disturbing.

If the saving throw is failed, however, the character is overwhelmed with the emotion and the Sapient Glyph takes over. Initially the Sapient Glyph will try to express its pent-up emotion. A Rage Glyph will scream curses and attack a nearby creature; a Hunger Glyph will delve into its backpack for rations, or bite the closest thing that seems edible; other kinds will behave as appropriate. However, it will recover and seem to return to normal after 1d4 rounds.

It has access to the character's knowledge and will seek to pretend that it is the character him- or herself. It will try, as subtly as it can, to persuade other characters to read the glyph. (In this case, if they pass their saving throws and destroy the Glyph, it will still exist in the minds of characters that have failed their saving throws against it previously).

The characters' actions will be appropriate to the emotion. They will behave in such a way as to maximise their chances of satisfying the Glyph's desire, through eating, slaying, accumulating gold, or whatever. The Glyph may be detected via the deductive powers of the party or an ESP spell (or similar magic), and destroyed by being exorcised by a cleric or via a spell which causes strong feelings (such as fear or emotion). A forget spell will also slay it. In such cases the character it occupied will be unharmed.

A few of the most famous evil books, such as the demon-riddled Tome of Llashram Traust, are believed to contain Glyphs which have been intentionally placed on certain forbidden pages as traps.