The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Longman »

Ok, that works.

The following morning a rather bleary looking half elf reports to the coach inn where you are all staying and asks to speak to Danys about a parcel. He looks rich, and very humanised in his ways. He has almost no discernible elvish accent at all.

You may converse. This is your approach and he's not trying to see you anything, so I need to know what you say first.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Hmm... Elba is female.

Tiana decides that she can't pull off the disguise with an elf and discards it. When the half-elf gets near, the dwarf says "Package is inside. It's delicate. Here, after you." Without insinuating any harm or threat, Bruce will (hopefully) follow the half-elf into the carriage where surprise! there's Tiana.

"You are not Ebba." she observes laconically.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"And you're not a coach driver," he says without missing a beat. "Who are you? You sound western. What's going on?"

(Incidentally you can be meeting in your room if you wish, or in the coach. Either is fine.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

Oops. This post got eaten somewhere.

Tiana eyes the half-elf cooly, discerning whether he can be trusted. She continues speaking in elvish. "I have a letter from Tycho Bearwhateverhisfullnameisinelvish for Ebba Lionawhateverherfullnameisinelvishiftianaknows it." She holds up the letter. "You do not look like Ebba, and I do not know you. Goddess guide me, why should I trust this unto you?"

Is the room comfortably large enough for all four? If not, Bruce will wait outside trying to look like a messenger not a guard. Hah. Hopefully he's better at subterfuge than Kilian!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Tiana's CHA roll is a nat 20. The room is big enough.

Um...I'm Rika. Ebba's son. And we don't really go by those long-form elvish names any more, by the way. But it's OK if you do. We had a bit of a family celebration last night. So she's asleep. But I know Tycho. He's cool. You could drop by later? My mother is mostly up at night, at the moment...

He doesn't want to read the letter, but instead plagues you with questions about what you are doing and what life in the Moon Isles is like. He was born here and hasn't seen much of the world, at all.

Move on to talk to Ebba later this evening?
Rope in this new NPC half-elf somehow?
Explore the town during the day?
Woe

Post by Woe »

I will elaborate tonight. I'm thinking, put that nat 20 to use! Rope him in and have him tell the proper elves about the town. If he is more comfortable with Common, they wil switch to that.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You're speaking Brantish. He might not even know elvish.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Tiana sighs, but with a small smile. "Lady Freya can regale you of tales from the elven lands later, once she awakens. What time will that be?"

"Very well, I shall wait until then. I hear she is a trader of fine goods, as are we. I'd like to see what she has to offer and whether we can arrange a trade. Or if you can act as her advocate, we can start with you."

(depending on what Rika says, either we'll start trading or we can idly pass the time while Freya plies him for information about the town and shares common knowledge about the elflands.)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Rika is not a trader, so can't help you much except with enthusiasm. From him, you lean that his mother is originally from Eracor, but married his father, a human, and settled here about 40 years ago. He has two older sisters and a younger brother, all of whom are also in town. There are more traders further north.

In the evening, you meet Ebba, a full blood elf, considerably older than Tiana. You meet at her house. She is initially unfriendly until she sees the letter, at which point she says:

Very well. I do not like to have much to do with high elvish business any more, and have sought a different life. I hope this will not bring any trouble on me, Tiana Moonglade. But I will help you. What is it that you ask?

Woe

Post by Woe »

"I am not here on Council business, but my own. 'Tycho' recommended that we come to you, that you may wish to trade these spectacles mentioned in the letter. We have picked up some artifacts while within Boldenwald, if you would prefer to trade in like items opposed to gold." Tiana replies, trying to soothe Ebba's worry.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot