Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Hywaywolf

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by Hywaywolf »

I agree that this could go badly for us, but unless Joe already has an agenda set in stone its possible that we could get some good reaction rolls. Who knows , maybe we can get the girl without having to clean out the thieves caves.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:I agree that this could go badly for us, but unless Joe already has an agenda set in stone its possible that we could get some good reaction rolls. Who knows , maybe we can get the girl without having to clean out the thieves caves.
In general, little is set in stone in this campaign. The party will make decisions, and there will be consequences of these decisions.

Reaction rolls can influence the course of events to an extent. But, generally speaking, they're unlikely to reverse a given NPC's perspective on things (unless, of course, the party provides additional elements of 'persuasion').

But what I'm really saying is that I'm never going to overtly force you down a particular path; your destiny is in your hands.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't feel like we are being railroaded, but I get the feeling that these gents are/were meant as adversaries. I could be wrong, or we might be able to role-play through, but direct confrontation (as in a fight) might be the intended method of acquiring the info and/or moving the events forward.

Just thinking out loud about it. This should not necessarily reflect as Nivek's attitude... but he has his reservations about these guys. After all they are banditos.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I don't feel railroaded either. There has been two other paths we could have taken that didn't lead us to these caves. What I am saying is that if the bandit leader has the girl it wasn't something he planned. She just fell into his lap so he doesn't already have a set idea of what to do with her. He should be just as likely to sell her to us for a certain sum of money as he would be to tell us to get stuffed and face the possibility of either us fighting out right here right now or going back to town and bringing back a militia. That should be where the reaction rolls come in. He has just as much to lose by making a bad deal here as we do. He should be able to recognize that this girl is valuable enough for a party of folks to come looking for her. If he does her harm, then a lot more can come down on his head than a bandit leader would want. They don't like pitched battles. They like to hit and run without taking causalities. They are after money not glory. And they know that some of us are hidden in the woods and may get away if they attack us.

So in summation, its just as much in their interest that we settle this without bloodshed as it is ours. Its just a matter of making the bargain. Which is where reaction rolls come in.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:Doughbert stands up and calls attention to himself (the best he can being a little dude.)

"Sir, I am Doughbert Shorttoes and my only interest is the well being of the girl. May I inquire as to your name, real or not as it pleases you, so we can talk like friends rather than enemies! "

He waits to see if anyone will shoot at him, and if no one does, he will continue.

"yes, you can take the girl to town and collect the $500. She will be safe and I and others in our party will be content with that. Or, if you choose not to go into town for whatever reason, we can offer you all the gold and silver we took from the goblin caves. With the $50 we already gave you that should come close to $200 gp. Its all the coin we have. There is another 800 copper pieces we left in the caves along with the weapons of the goblins.

"So, thats our offer, give us the girl for another $150 gp or take her to town yourself and let us go on our way. We have nothing else to offer you, but a good fight if you decide neither of those other two options satisfy you."
I like this 'take it or leave it' approach here. 8-)
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

OK JOE and Party...I am back and catching up now on what has transpired...I assume Hiker has not died (hopefully?)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Eevans wrote:OK JOE and Party...I am back and catching up now on what has transpired...I assume Hiker has not died (hopefully?)
perhaps at any minute now.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Eevans wrote:OK JOE and Party...I am back and catching up now on what has transpired...I assume Hiker has not died (hopefully?)
Welcome back Eddie. Hope you had a great break. Actually, you've spent most of the time skulking in the trees/bushes watching Tannen and Nivek negotiate with a bunch of bandits over the release of Alma ...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

JoeCarr28 wrote: "So my mini-friend, that's MY offer. 1000 pieces of gold and you can have the girl here and now. Or else I shall bid you good day. Unless of course, you were serious about the fight ..."
So that is that in my mind...

Thoughts before we do something rash?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I just went back and reread the opening posts in this thread, and it seems like bandits and the chance that alma ran off on her own were mentioned. Also that if she ran off on her own all we need to receive the reward is a letter from her saying that she doesn't want to come back. perhaps Nivek or Tannen, before they leave, can ask ponytail if she is well and if she wants to come back. If not maybe we can get the letter and get paid.

Although its starting to look like we are going to have to clean out this nest no matter what we do :)