The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Woe »

I'm a bit suspicious why he's being so helpful, but that's probably just me being paranoid. Hopefully.

Freya looks over the disguises and then confident she can apply them properly, nods at Tiana. Freya will then get out half of the metal and crystal (worth 50gp) and a trade plus another 20gp. Assuming yes...

With Tycho paid for the costumes and the introduction letter with the ladies, Tiana bids Tycho farewell. "Thank you, Tycho. It is very refreshing to see a friendly soul in these parts. With your grace, we shall retire back to our rooms. The long and windy roads are not gentle in these human conveyances. I hope our roads cross again."

Once Tycho is out of the picture and everyone is back together, Tiana would like to leave that night, heading west out of town, before switching north. It's not that she doesn't trust Tycho. The part about "elves entering town" worried her. They were surely spotted on the way in, and perhaps they can avoid any party crashers if they leave quickly.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Just to wrap up that scene - you are not buying either magic item, you didn't tell him where the skull box actually came from, and you seem to be heading for Dender along the main roads? Yes?

If you are going to Dender, you do have the option of going due north from Nore, through a bunch of small towns not shown on the main map. The time to get there will be about the same as on the main road, Danys thinks. The people will be more hick, and there will be more chance of the cart getting damaged on bad roads. On the plus side, you will be far less easy to notice if anyone is looking out for you.
Woe

Post by Woe »

You summarized that well. Is there another, better road to Dender via Brant?

DM: Depends what you mean by better. There is not a more direct road.

You can go from Brant to Dender on the main road, which is the quickest (4-5 days), or you can take the north road from Brant for a few days and then cut across to the east, but the total would be about 8 days.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Oops -- I missed the reply.

I meant, I'm in Nore now, right? I'd prefer to take a wider, more populated road to Dender and visit Brant second. If the only road from Nore to Dender is treacherous and the road from Brant to Dender is better/safer, then they'll visit Brant first. If all things are equal, they'll head to Dender straight from Nore.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Re-read the previous post about the two main ways of getting to Dender from Nore. It specifies the pro and cons of each route.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm really not trying to be dense, though it's probably coming across as that. :) This is what I'm working with:
Dender is about the same size as Nore and is about five or six days to the north. Brant is about the same distance to the west.

You can go from Brant to Dender on the main road, which is the quickest (4-5 days), or you can take the north road from Brant for a few days and then cut across to the east, but the total would be about 8 days.

If you are going to Dender, you do have the option of going due north from Nore, through a bunch of small towns not shown on the main map. The time to get there will be about the same as on the main road, Danys thinks. The people will be more hick, and there will be more chance of the cart getting damaged on bad roads. On the plus side, you will be far less easy to notice if anyone is looking out for you.

I think that means Dender via Brant is 5 or 8 days, whereas Dender directly from Nore is about five days. Either way looks to be about the same duration and the tradeoff is road conditions vs noticeability. Is that right? If so, Brant first. They can change things up a bit once they hit Brant, and maybe even ditch the coach for horses.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Are you looking at the map? Part of the issue is that to get to Dender on the main road, you have to go halfway to Brant, anyway.

Let's make this a bit easier. You have specified a preference to stay on the wider, more populated road, so on Monday the 15th, you keep going towards Brant along the road you were on, and after a few more days you are at Jeff Bridges on Wednesday the 17th.

Jeff Bridges is at the road junction. From here, there are numerous bridges over the Dender River, and a main road that leads north to Dender (3 days). The road you were on also continues to the west to Brant (2-3 days) from here.

So, do you go north, or west?
Woe

Post by Woe »

(Thanks)

North, to Dender! Hopefully Bruce is fine with waiting a few days to visit his friends in Brant.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Bruce is cool with it.

Slight date correction - Wednesday the 17th of September, you leave the town of Jeff Bridges in which you have just overnighted.

The 18th and 19th are spent travelling to Dender.

Dender sits on the border between Brant, Yoll, and the Duchy of Vanie, which has changed hands a few times in the course of the last hundred years and is currently independent.

Dender is a border town, a trade town, and a mix of languages are spoken here but Brantish (common) will work quite well.

As you are approaching on the main road, Danys peers out from under his flat cap and look sat the main south gate in the city walls, up ahead.

'"Hmmmm,"" he says. "Not what I'd hoped for. City watch are out in force, and they aint in livery. Maybe some of them boys are trying to take a few extra taxes, on the quiet, for their own drinking money. Sure you want to go in there? They might charge us a fortune, you being elves and all."

Freya, up top, can see about eight armed men on the gate. They are currently searching a trade wagon.

There are other ways into the town, and getting in on foot would be very easy. Getting the coach in without getting checked by the watch will be difficult, and it is also illegal to take the vehicle or animals inside without the watch's permission.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Hm. With elves being looked out for, this is doubly suspicious. Would Bruce want to go in on his own and do some reconnaissance?

We never touched upon what they're carrying. Is it just the mirror with everything else being in the secret place, or something close to that? Carrying a mirror isn't as suspicious as laden yoke to axle with treasure.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot