Tainted and Touched

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Tainted & Touched

Post by Solomoriah »

... I can't read the title of this thread without thinking something inappropriate.

Probably a personal problem.

:D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Tainted & Touched

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:... I can't read the title of this thread without thinking something inappropriate.

Probably a personal problem.

:D
Already changed.

In my best Bevis and Butthead voice, "heh heh, you said Taint"

Anyway. Just Planar Races now that I am adding Elemental sorts.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Re: Planar Races

Post by SmootRK »

I have not forgotten this; just a super busy week with Kids last day of school, work, wife taking trip to San Francisco (taking to airport in Denver today), and more. Just no time for creative works, especially when one considers 4 children under age of 13 (including one less that 1yr old).

That said, will eventually add in these elemental races in similar fashion, so one could have Fire-touched Dwarves, Water-touched Elves, Earth-Halflings, etc. (insert alt race for any such example). In addition, I will see if there are some other appropriate planar ideas I can add in sometime in the future.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

Could be interesting to have an elemental variant for each element/race combo that makes sense. For example:

Works:
Fire-touched Dwarf
Fire-touched Elf
Earth-touched Halfling
Earth-touched Dwarf
Water-touched Elf
Water-touched Halfling

Doesn't Work:
Fire-touched Halfling
Water-touched Dwarf

Maybe make the Elemental classes a quasi-class and have each element limited to 2-3 of the Basic classes. I'm of the mindset that humans shouldn't be able to be element-touched, but I can see that being opposed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will leave it to the GM/Campaign to decide what "makes sense"; but yes, I get your point as well. Some combinations seem more appropriate than others to me, but others might have viable rationales for other combinations.

Genies (elementals) generally can shapeshift/polymorph (in most sources, albeit not really mentioned directly in BFRPG Efreeti/Djinni), as well as having extensive ability to trick with illusions and such. I can see any number of odd combinations occurring due to such traits.

Anyway, I would like to try to see what other sorts of Planar races can be put together. Planescape added a few irregular choices, but those are generally not "open", so I may have to come up with viable similar ones that fit the appropriate niche.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

I dont know if thats really necessary- but its your project. You can say that the planar half is dominant. You dont choose the other half-traits for other Half breeds like half elf, half orc, half ogre , etc. But im very excited to see what you come up with.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Blood axe wrote:I dont know if thats really necessary- but its your project. You can say that the planar half is dominant. You dont choose the other half-traits for other Half breeds like half elf, half orc, half ogre , etc. But im very excited to see what you come up with.
I want these to work like something you layer onto another base-race (like I did for the Tainted/Touched sets). It allows me a lot of available combinations with a minimal amount of added 'rules', much like the method used for quasi-classes. However, I do want to add in a couple standard races that come from planar sources. Thinking there can be a couple races like Gith or Bauriar but with our own BFRPG vibe instead. We can get creative here.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

Like a template you can add to another creature or races stats? I think 3rd ed D&D had something like that. It will be neat to see what you come up with.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Blood axe wrote:Like a template you can add to another creature or races stats? I think 3rd ed D&D had something like that. It will be neat to see what you come up with.
It does, and so does pathfinder. Honestly it's one of my favorite aspects of those games. If I wanted an undead frog, then I just apply a template to the base creature, make a few creative additions, and voila I had a new creature. The key was that most of the templates were relatively simple e.g. the monster now has undead traits, is evil, and it generally loses any special abilities that it had in life.

The old half-dragon discussion, and these recent ones have got me thinking about "piecemeal" races, so I might throw out a table, or pdf about that later.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

Templates can come in handy with themed encounters. Lair of the Frost Giants?
Frost toads! Ice bats! Snow wolves!