RED OAK: Beyond the Mirror

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: RED OAK: Beyond the Mirror

Post by Woe »

Another thing to consider is that if you hide again, they might start paying much closer attention to this whole area and when you come in tomorrow, there will be more guards and alarms.
If I don't hide, I probably won't be coming in tomorrow. :)

Ok, let's go for it without the distraction. They'll take the east/north route via the other 5a. That should help deaden any sound that the dwarves make.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK, computer back in action.

You all move into the corridor 5a - the one with the stone bench seat you looked at previously. You know from your map there is a room on the other side of this and maybe there once was a secret door but you don't hang around to find out.

Heading into room 34. It's totally empty, no doors, nothing. There isn't even any scuttling creatures getting out of the way of your light and noise.

You can see down the corridor into 35. That also looks pretty vacant. You can't hear anything from further north.

On this occasion, the party has been pretty quiet. You can hear that there is some movement from area 5 and it sounds like big creatures with chains, again. But they aren't coming your way...yet.

What do you do? Wait? Go into 35 and hide? Keep moving up to 32 / 33?
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Dis place is gettin' too hot." mutters Kilian.

Freya nods quietly, intently looking down the hall, as if the chain-dragging noises will turn into ogres any second now.

"Anyone else dinkin' 'e should stay and open a tavern here?" Kilian says. That definite gets a glare from Tiana.

"Well... I'm just thinkin'," continues Kilian, "somebody really wants to stay here and I dunno who. But whoever it is, dey better speak up now becuz I'm saying we either clear out or build a bunker becuz dere be a lot of trouble on dis side of da mirror."

Talin nods. "Anyone disagree?" With no dissent coming, the party will quietly retreat back to the safety of the other side of the mirror.

There! I'll want Bruce to add some safeties onto the mirror, but the easy part -- starting up again -- is done! Respite at the "safe" side of the mirror and then try to get out of here?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Retreating out of the dungeon is a somewhat tense moment as it is clear there are monsters to the north...but the party successfully escapes and makes it into the secret area, and then back on the safe side of the mirror.

There! I'll want Bruce to add some safeties onto the mirror

Que?

You are in the temple complex on the safe side of the mirror. It is September 2nd, about 2pm in the afternoon.

Your actions plz.
Woe

Post by Woe »

OOC: Oops, I meant Kilian. Pretty much, I want to prevent beasties from discovering the other mirror and sneaking up on the party unawares. I don't know the details yet though. I'll need to sleep on it to get some ideas. A hair-trigger guillotine sounds best.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK.

Are you going to take the mirror on this side with you, or leave it in situ?

Also - the secret door leading into your secret area is almost impossible to find. You only knew it was there because of your map, and because you first saw the back of it. The front side would be almost impossible to detect. The chances of the goblins finding it are slim unless they actually see you running in there.
Woe

Post by Woe »

The chances of the goblins finding it are slim unless they actually see you running in there.
says the man with all the dice :lol:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

As for ideas on ensuring a safe mirror: after a lot of typical dwarven complicated ideas are shot down, the party decides on leaving the mirror face-down with Freya sleeping on the back side -- assuming that won't break it.

The party will rest for the night in the secret room of secret safety after quickly visiting Abigal. The boys will rearrange the furniture to block the two doors (if they open inward; I forget which way if you ever mentioned). Kilian will also use a few spikes to further foil entry.

After a night of rest -- where Fido gets +2 hp and everyone else +1hp? -- they'll make for the other side of the bridge and the wizard-locked door. Assuming all that goes swimmingly, the party will leave the goods in the pantry and prepare for combat. Tiana will open the door and... what happens next?

OOC: Mental note to self: when mapping dungeons for future games, I'll need to remember to mark which way doors open!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK, so...

You have removed the mirror from this side. This took a few hours of work. You must have done that in order to sleep on it. Can you let me know where it is? Is it with you, etc?

Your adventures overnight go smoothy. All your characters actually get back 2hp a night because they are 3rd level. Fido also gets 2hp back (he's 2nd level but he had a full day's rest).

No giant wormies attack you in the night. Lose a day's food each.

When you 'Knock' open the secret door to leave the dungeon in the morning of the 3rd of September, you find - it is totally pouring with rain, to the point where you cannot travel today without risking exposure. It is also quite cold.

From a quick glance it looks like nothing has changed. There's still the remains of a few goblin and bugbear bodies on spikes, which you (Kilian) left here a few days ago. Some of these look to have been knocked over, maybe by wolves, and partly eaten. There's no immediate sign that humanoids have been in the castle grounds. And no signs of gumpism.

You can't adventure above ground today due to rain, but you can still do stuff in camp, or below ground. Or you can just wait a day and get back some more hp overnight.

What do you do?
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Hrmpf." says Kilian, looking at the downpour. "Better to wait it out, ranger?" Talin nods. Kilian takes one more look at the rain then asks "Anyone feeling like getting back into dem caves?" Other than a look of disbelief from Tiana, nobody acknowledges his comment. He finishes with "Hmpf."

Freya and Talin try to guess tomorrow's weather report. Kilian gets in on the fun with a guess of "Rain, forest, and absolutely nothing dwarven."

Kilian will put the heads back upright, being very careful not to leave tracks (Freya will help with that, as well as try to find tracks herself).

For the rest of the day, the party will hang out in the parlor near the exit and not the secret door, keeping the door nooked open for light and fresh air. Two guards at all times (dwarf+elf, dwarf+elf, two humans+Abigall) during the day.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. It's the movable mirror that will get moved around, since that is much easier. No detaching from the wall. IIRC the moveable mirror is the bridge side and the immovable mirror is the catacombs side, right? I've guess glass mirrors don't usually have much backing and can't have much weight, so the whole sleeping idea with Freya is a bad one. Let's replace that with Abigal since she's definitely light enough.

However, there are advantages of having either mirror. One would make the supply line REALLY easy, and the other would make the rich treasures below REALLY easy. I guess I need three mirrors... :lol:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot