Tenth Anniversary of Basic Fantasy RPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
black1blade

Re: Tenth Anniversary of Basic Fantasy RPG

Post by black1blade »

Wow 10 years is a pretty long time, longer then I've been gaming for sure! It's a great system though. So easy to play yet obviously limitless in what can be achieved within games.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Congratulations, Chris. This is where it all started, and I think its ironic that some people don't consider Basic Fantasy an OSR game. This game system, with its simplicity, (not to mention ascending AC) has given my boys and I hours of enjoyment. Thanks for a great game.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, the credentials of BFRPG as an OSR game are rarely in question; it's the status of being a "true retro-clone" that seems to be denied now, but which was not in the beginning.

... it's why I created Iron Falcon. But Basic Fantasy is my true love, at least with respect to traditional fantasy RPGs.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

At some time I thought of asking you Solo if you had thought or would allow the creation of a supplement or parallel rules converting BF mechanics to the "old style" (race as classes, descending AC, and spells).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag, you may create whatever you like, so long as you abide by the OGL. However, I am not keen on the idea of promoting a parallel ruleset on the Downloads page, so such a project would be limited to the Workshop or Showcase.

You have a Showcase account, so if you want to do something like that, you could post it there. If you write it as a supplement, it could still use the name Basic Fantasy RPG, but if you write it as a full standalone rulebook I'd have to carefully consider whether to allow the use of the name or not; I'm leaning toward not. It has the potential to be very confusing to the uninitiated.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ten years and two days ago I uploaded Release 28. Work was progressing quickly in that first couple of months.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks Solo, you always give us full creative freedom. I think creating a supplement fits better than doing a mod rules that could lead to confusion, plus, it would allow some customization.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/