Season 1 - Episode 5: On the Trail of Alma

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Hywaywolf

Re: Season 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert readies all his gear, sorts through his coins to just take enough gold pieces to not. Overburden himself and is ready to move out.

(OOC: I am out and about at the moment. When I get home I will determine exactly how many gold pieces I am carrying g
JoeCarr28

Barnaby Smells!

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Leaving Jumbles behind, you retrace your steps of yesterday back to the carcasses of the wolf and the goblin, and the scrap of pale yellow cloth that Hiker believes was once part of Alma's dress. Barnaby approaches the piece of dangling material and sniffs it intently for several seconds. With the scent digested, he starts ambling north, following a reasonably clear trail of trampled vegetation that indicates the recent passage of a group that was at least the size of your own, possibly larger.

After about 100 yards, the trail clearly separates. The majority of the group appear to have turned towards a north-easterly direction, but there are also signs that others continued to travel north. Sniffing the ground, Barnaby chooses to follow the more distinct north-easterly trail and ambles off in that direction.

Doughbert: HP 5/5. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Hiker: HP 9/9.
Karl: HP 8/8.
Nivek: HP 7/7. 2 '0' level spells remaining today.
Paladin: HP 3/4.
Tannen: HP 9/9.
10 am, 28th day of Harvestide.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

"We should follow the bear," remarks Nivek. (assuming the rest concur) He continues his march. Not feeling the need to be extraordinarily quiet, he starts a rhythmic Dwarven chant that is often utilized while doing repetitive labour.

{Dwarfish} "Hi Ho...."
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Karl knows how to follow a march... he's from a village called Longmarch... It's called Longmarch because it's a long march from the next town.

Left-foot, right-foot, left-foot, right-foot...
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert marches with his bow string and ready for action. Follow the bear.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen thinks aloud to no one in particular: "I suppose the bear has the woman's scent. Lets follow him - he's handy in a fight should we come across any more goblins."
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin runs after Barnie calling, Wait for me! Wait for me!
JoeCarr28

Rain

Post by JoeCarr28 »

As you continue to follow Barnaby on this wet early-autumn morning, the trail arcs clockwise such that you find your heading gradually changing from north-east, to east, to south-east, to south, to south-west, and eventually west such that you've travelled in a wide three-quarter-circle.

After a further hour of walking from the wolf and goblin bodies, you find yourself facing due west. By this time, you're no longer following a trail of trampled vegetation, but rather a worn path that indicates more frequent use. Barnaby stops at a point where the track splits into two - one fork heading roughly south-west, the other north-west. Both trails look similar and equally well-used. They both continue into the forest, although a combination of trees, bushes and the paths' slightly meandering natures prevent you from seeing any great distance down them.

The gentle steady rain has persisted throughout the two hours of travelling from the old man's cave and by this time you are all rather soggy. Barnaby wanders over to shelter beneath a nearby tree. He settles down on the ground, giving the unmistakeable impression that this is as far as he's prepared to go and that it's up to you now.

Doughbert: HP 5/5. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Hiker: HP 9/9.
Karl: HP 8/8.
Nivek: HP 7/7. 2 '0' level spells remaining today.
Paladin: HP 3/4.
Tannen: HP 9/9.
11 am, 28th day of Harvestide.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

[OOC: Joe, can we hazard a guess as to why the trail has wound around in a great arc? Seems a little unusual, if we were to follow the north-west trail would we end up close to the old man's cave? Or is the curvature of our path such that we've actually covered some actual displacement from the old man's cave? I suppose it's unrealistic to expect to have more than a vague idea of where we are... Hmmm mm mm.]
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

OOC:Similarly, given how long we walked, how far from the forest edge do we estimate ourselves to be?