Season 1 - Episode 5: On the Trail of Alma

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Season 1 - Episode 5: On the Trail of Alma

Post by JoeCarr28 »

You wake the following morning somewhat cold and sore. The discomfort caused by your various injuries brings the events of yesterday back into sharp focus: your first foray into The Coastwood; near-death experiences at the hands of wolves and goblins (and each other); net traps, pit traps and terror-inducing shaman; the strange old man and his bear companion; and fire, lots of fire.

Today the weather is overcast, and as you pack-up your bedding and eat some breakfast, a steady and persistent drizzle sets in. Autumn is clearly just round the corner. As you huddle inside the entrance to his cave, sheltering from the rain, the old man emerges from its depths.

Without so much as a "hello" or "good morning" he begins inspecting your wounds, starting with Nivek, whilst quizzing you on yesterday's events.

"So, did you kill them all then ... the goblins I mean?"

I've added 1 to everybody's hit points as a result of your overnight rest.

If necessary, please can you all update your inventories, making sure that you've got the correct number of consumables - rations, torches and oil flasks - based on what you used-up yesterday. It might also be a good idea to separate out your inventories into those items you'll take with you on the next stage of the adventure, and those that you'll leave behind at the old man's cave - I'm assuming Paladin and Doughbert aren't planning to travel today with a full pack of coins (although you never know with those two :roll: .)

Doughbert: HP 4/5.
Hiker: HP 7/9.
Karl: HP 8/8.
Nivek: HP 0/7. Stabilised.
Paladin: HP 0/4. Stabilised.
Tannen: HP 7/9.
7 am, 28th day of Harvestide.
JoeCarr28

Re: Season 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:Really looking forward to hitting that 2nd level where Clerics get to start casting spells (401xp to go!). :?
Yep, you might make it this side of Christmas with a fair wind (and if you stay out of the way of Paladin).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

After applying 2 Cure Minor Orisons to himself (+1 hp each), and one such Orison to Paladin to get him on his feet, Nivek will opt for the Full Bedrest option of Healing (should gain additional 1 HP back in the evening, p.51 core rules) and suggests others who need it do the same. "I suggest you tuck in for the day and recuperate as much as possible."

ooc: If we all do the same, we can up to near full strength in the morning with another round of Orisons tossed in. Faster if we get a little healing from the Druid/Hermit. Since we have some gains from the goblins, we may want to acquire some additional Healing via potions/salves/etc. or like I said some posts ago, we might benefit from some hired hands (zero-level man-at-arms or two).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I have a couple orisons to ease someones pain as well. Who shall I help. I will heal tonight.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin eats as heartily as he can, given his condition, and then rolls over and goes back to sleep. "No, not the goat!" he occasionally cries as he restively stirs.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker sat somewhat quietly listening to the smattering of various low conversations amongst the group and watching Paladin consume what anyone else would consider the most food they ever ate, but for him it was light fare due to his weakened state.

The visual brought back memories of the kitchen in the ole' Farmers house which seemed like a year ago. Hiker did feel some sense of bonding with the strange collection of folk and was eager to continue to grow. With the Dwarf-man and Karl here to lead him proper Hiker was sure that he would make his Mama proud.

He was amazed at the incredible ability some of his companions had to help heal wounds with just words and magic. One of these days he might just get a chance to be that incredible...for now though he would just focus on guarding well and following orders like Karl. Hiker looked over to the big man in honest admiration and said quietly..."Keep my shield arm high!"
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Hearing Hiker repeat his words, Karl smiles and says, "We should practice. Practice is good."

Before he starts practicing though, Karl unwraps the sweat-rag around his head, revealing a massive, crimson scar on top of a deep, crushing dent in the left side of his forehead. He gestured to his wound, "I didn't keep my shield arm high."

"Let's practice."
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
JoeCarr28

Hrrmmphh!

Post by JoeCarr28 »

JoeCarr28 wrote:Today the weather is overcast, and as you pack-up your bedding and eat some breakfast, a steady and persistent drizzle sets in. Autumn is clearly just round the corner. As you huddle inside the entrance to his cave, sheltering from the rain, the old man emerges from its depths.

Without so much as a "hello" or "good morning" he begins inspecting your wounds, starting with Nivek, whilst quizzing you on yesterday's events.

"Hrrmmphh! Well, if you're all just going to ignore me then I'll assume that you no longer require my assistance" the old man barks grumpily. "Feel free to leave anytime you like, as long as it's within the hour".

And with that he ceases his assessment of Nivek's punctured back and storms back into the far reaches of his cave.

Doughbert: HP 4/5.
Hiker: HP 7/9.
Karl: HP 8/8.
Nivek: HP 0/7. Stabilised.
Paladin: HP 0/4. Stabilised.
Tannen: HP 7/9.
7 am, 28th day of Harvestide.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert rouses from his reverie at the old man's outburst and goes to seek him out. When/if he finds him he says, "I'm sorry for our rudeness. After yesterday's events, we are just so overcome with the sudden safety that you provide us that we are much too relaxed. We faced many goblins and nearly lost it all several times, but we left that cave cleared out of all goblins that were there when we arrived. We learned that a few had left with the farm wife before we arrived and took her to another of their strongholds. We intend to go there to rescue her once we have healed and resupplied."

Doughbert pauses to see how the old man is taking this. Then continues, "We did leave a particularly big and mean looking wolf that Nivek suspects is a warg. We didn't know if you would want it so we left it chained in the cave. What would you like us to do with it?"
SmootRK

Re: Hrrmmphh!

Post by SmootRK »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
JoeCarr28 wrote:Today the weather is overcast, and as you pack-up your bedding and eat some breakfast, a steady and persistent drizzle sets in. Autumn is clearly just round the corner. As you huddle inside the entrance to his cave, sheltering from the rain, the old man emerges from its depths.

"Hrrmmphh! Well, if you're all just going to ignore me then I'll assume that you no longer require my assistance" the old man barks grumpily. "Feel free to leave anytime you like, as long as it's within the hour".

And with that he ceases his assessment of Nivek's punctured back and storms back into the far reaches of his cave.
OOC: Goodness, give Tannen a chance to comment before heading down this route of communication. He is still on his feet and is generally the voice of the party. Nivek just got back to zero HP after all.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?